Fasten a cowl from the INSIDE - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
bugerdup

Total Props: 0
Smile Re: Fasten a cowl from the INSIDE

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Looking at the photo again, If you are using the cowl that came with the kit, make a round ring that mounts to the fire wall with a hole in the center for the engine and mount to fit through. Make the ring with four tabs that protrude out from the ring and line up with the cowl tabs. ( try and picture a Twoony with the center punched out and add four tabs on the out side) Sorry Does that make any sense? This way you will have plenty of ventilation. Sorry again for babbling.
bugerdup is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #12

Total Props: 57
Re: Fasten a cowl from the INSIDE

Len

Here are the pictures of my B25's cowls.

Sorry it took sometime to post the pictures as i said i would do earlier, so let us know if its going to work for you or you have taken another route at this step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1494.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	32698   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1496.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	32699   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1497.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	32700  
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

Thanks.

I really don't want to go the ring/tab route as I think it will in effect block too much of the air flow-thru. As long as the epoxy/glass/right-angle tab will hold to the cowl, it will be minimal airflow blockage.

I'm gonna go with the tab only route as posted earlier in this thread.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

I just started to read this and maybe could reccomend a fastening that I have used before. I bend 3 pieces of piano wire (16") with one end that has a clearance for a 4/40 screw. From that part I bend an L with a couple of flat kinks in the straight piece. This part I use epoxy and glass to mount them on the inside of the cowl. If possible mount t nuts on the rear of the firewall for installing the bolts. If you use allan head 4/40 bolts with a washer you can then hold the cowl on without blocking the airflow. Dubro makes a long ball hex driver for the bolts and you can get in some tight spots.
Hope I explained this right.
John
Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

A little more background: I was trying to come up with a way to do this because of my cooling solution as seen in the pic. You'll see that the front of the fuse is "cut off" at about 45o to allow more air to escape. I wasn't sure if the block method as called for in the plans would work because of this.

With any luck I'll get to try these various methods shortly and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I may end up just expoxying "triangled" blocks to the back of the supplied blocks and gluing them to the angled front end. It will achieve my goal and still provide a solid base.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in