motor and esc problems - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 157
Re: motor and esc problems

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Maybe this will help put it in perspective:

Hangar 9 has a giant scale P-47 they say weighs 16-19 pounds. Recommended setup is a Power 160 motor, an high-voltage 80A ESC, and two 5S 5000mah 30C batteries. They recommend an 18x10 or 19x8 prop.

They have a number of 60-sized warbirds a bit lighter than your Sea Fury, roughly 8-9 pounds. Running a Power 60 and 6S 30C or Power 90 & 8 cells.

Your Sea Fury falls in between those two ranges, so I'd thing the power requirements would as well.
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
mobird
RCC Contributor

I am: Charles S.
Radio of choice:
DX8

Total Props: 1

Hi Dennis, it looks like you're getting some good advice here so I won't repeat any of it but I do have a lot of experience with electric set ups. I've never flown anything else.
Are there any people with experience close to you? What about a local club? There are a lot of electric fliers in N.S. It's usually easier to solve problems if you can actually see the hardware involved.
The airplane looks great, I hope you can get things settled with the right bits and fly it successfully.
Cheers,
Charles.
mobird is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

Dennis
If you can get electic help close to home go for it. Only guy I know out east is ottertok. He fly big electrics. Somewhere in NB.

I did read about a couple setups for your plane. 75 2cyc 120 4cyc was the tf spec. Many people were have problems with cg. Too tail heavy. And putting bigger engines in. Some guys with small 2cyc were adding 1.5lbs of lead in nose!!! So, bigger engine here maybe a good thing or better big batteries and longer flights. Biggest fuel setup was dle20cc. There were a couple electrics setups. Props being used were were 15 and 16 inch.

Power 160 is a 10s motor. With 18x8 this would work But 55a calculated draw still will be borderline for you current bats. I wouldn't plan on saving your bats.

http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?...tch=8&blades=2

If your going to switch motor and bats, there are lots of choices. For that, it would seem that i should leave you to the local guys!!!
Good luck.
cravenjw is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #14
timberman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dennis B

Total Props: 0

I put some help post in fourms near home also.
So my motor is for 10-12s , with my85hv esc if I were to get new batteries , should I get 5 cells or 6 cells to run 12.5lbs plane.
I have not a clue how to use your e-calc . I was hopeing to use the motor and esc , considering the value of them and what I paid for it all.
Probably looking towards getting new batts

appreciating all the help
Dennis
timberman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
timberman
RCC Apprentice

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6034.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	180852

these are the batts I have.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
cravenjw
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John C
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 38

suggest you contact this guy
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/member.php?u=26928

he has a sea fury, he flies it with a dle20cc gas and 14x8 apc prop.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...&highlight=sea

ask him how big a prop will fit on it for ground clearance.

this 12s prop size for you motor is still 20x10. thats 3" closer to the ground than this guys. look a video. I dont think you are going to want 6" more prop.

most of the other things i have found are using 15" prop
cravenjw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #17
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Hi Timberman; From one newb to another, you are getting some exceptional advice here. What's lacking in the equation is an understanding of the jargon. (from your own admission) Kind of like getting Dr. Einstein to help you with your math homework. When I first got into this hobby I thought they were speaking a different language on these forums, but I eventually stumbled on this http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm and did my home work. I can now follow what is being said. You have some very nice equipment, now you need to "learn the language" to get the full value out of it. It's winter so you have no rush to get flying, and at least part of the fun in flying is understanding the equipment and putting something together that not only flies well but is also safe to fly.
I hope this link helps and I hope you have a rewarding maiden flight with that new bird.

Last edited by fixer; 12-12-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: changed text
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #18
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3
Elec Re: motor and esc problems

I'd be willing to bet you are running this combo on 5s, not 10s. If you hook up the batteries the way they are shown, you will get 5s/10000.
They need to be hooked up in series, which means the leads have to be separated at the HXT60's you show.
The POS lead fr om #1 battery goes to the Esc. The NEG from #1 battery goes to the POS of the #2 battery. The NEG from #2 battery goes to the Esc. That is a series connection and 10s.
Your battery terminals as shown are set up for a parallel connection, which doubles your mah rating, keeping the cell count the same.
batteries for a motor capable of 2000watts need at least a 30C rating imo. flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
timberman
RCC Apprentice

no, using series connector and esc recognized 10 cell, 10 beeps.
my batteries are only 15c and are too old .Click image for larger version

Name:	xt60serial.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	181875
Saving up for 2 - 6s 5000mah 30 +c

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in