Problem getting a full tank-full run - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
scochrane
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Stephen Cochrane
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX6i
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 4
Question Problem getting a full tank-full run

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Purchased a Hanger 9 Alpha 40 and have been having multiple problems. First was the engine (Evolution Alpha) - had problems keeping it running when powering up to full throttle, engine usually dies. Corrected that problem by leaning the low, seemed to be too much fuel in carb and choked when going to full throttle. Now I can idle for 45-60 seconds and throttle up to full without hesitation or failure.

Now my problem is getting a full tank run. The Alpha 40 has an 11 oz tank and consistently the enging seems to lean out and quit after burning 2 - 3 oz. Consensis at the club is that the tank is mounted too low or air leak. Completely replce fuel tubing. I pulled the tank back a bit to clear the first bulkhead, raising the center of the tank 1/2" or so by doing this. Also foamed in the tank to keep it tight. Ran a tank through to empty on the bench. My concern now is that maybe the center of gravity is shifted - should I add weight to the nose or try a flight as-is?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94
Re: Problem getting a full tank-full run

Quote:
Originally Posted by scochrane View Post
Purchased a Hanger 9 Alpha 40 and have been having multiple problems. First was the engine (Evolution Alpha) - had problems keeping it running when powering up to full throttle, engine usually dies. Corrected that problem by leaning the low, seemed to be too much fuel in carb and choked when going to full throttle. Now I can idle for 45-60 seconds and throttle up to full without hesitation or failure.

Now my problem is getting a full tank run. The Alpha 40 has an 11 oz tank and consistently the enging seems to lean out and quit after burning 2 - 3 oz. Consensis at the club is that the tank is mounted too low or air leak. Completely replce fuel tubing. I pulled the tank back a bit to clear the first bulkhead, raising the center of the tank 1/2" or so by doing this. Also foamed in the tank to keep it tight. Ran a tank through to empty on the bench. My concern now is that maybe the center of gravity is shifted - should I add weight to the nose or try a flight as-is?
Always recheck your CG after moving equipment around and balance to the recommended CG in your manual....... tailheavy is not cool when learning!!!

Cheers
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #3
zdsh13
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: ***

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Now my problem is getting a full tank run. The Alpha 40 has an 11 oz tank and consistently the enging seems to lean out and quit after burning 2 - 3 oz. Consensis at the club is that the tank is mounted too low or air leak.
Are you running muffler pressure to the tank? Your tank center line should be close the the needle valve height. By running muffler pressure back to the tank you will get more consistent needle valve settings. Lean your engine to peak RPM and then open the high speed needle 1/4 turn. You should be able to hold you airplane with the nose pointing vertical and have little to no RPM drop. If the RPM falls off some richen the HS needle more.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi

After many thousands of hours , we at the club found out the problem with the Evo engine is the O-rings on the needle . Change them for OS , O-rings . It , IS , one sweet engine , after the change . Not the same animal .

Sure hope this helps
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel gravelle View Post
Hi

After many thousands of hours , we at the club found out the problem with the Evo engine is the O-rings on the needle . Change them for OS , O-rings . It , IS , one sweet engine , after the change . Not the same animal .

Sure hope this helps
That's a good tip. I always disliked evo engines because they always ran like crap. I will attempt this on the next student I get with an evo engine.
Thanks
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Just a some thoughts - please comment

Set CG with tank empty so that it would be easy to dead stick a landing

Tank closer to CG is better as CG will change less with fuel weight (within reason of course, you want your fuel lines fairly short without a fuel pump).
Old 07-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
Patch
RCC Contributor

I am: Jason H

Total Props: 1
Talking Re: Problem getting a full tank-full run

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
Always recheck your CG after moving equipment around and balance to the recommended CG in your manual....... tailheavy is not cool when learning!!!

Cheers
Curt
Unless your the guy watching!

In theory, everything works.
Patch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Flyinbullmax
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3
Thumbs up Re: Problem getting a full tank-full run

Quote:

You say you changed all the tubing, but did you change the tubing in the tank too? Because the problem usually occurs on the pick up line(clunk) inside the tank. The tube usally has a little almost invisible cut close to the metal tube. So when the level of fuel gets under that line, it sucks air and kills the engine. Check that, I'm sure its your problem. And the Alpha is a darn well built plane and the tank is surely at the best place possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in