Since there is no support for parkflyers... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 08-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Since there is no support for parkflyers...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I thought I might start to drum up some support.
AMA are doing it, why so slow Amerika Jr.?

Quote:
The Academy is encouraging the development of new, officially recognized AMA Park Pilot Program sites in metro areas throughout the US. As an aid in reaching this goal, we’ve developed a special “How to Start a Park Flying Site” turnkey package; when using this, members who are trying to secure a field won’t have to start from scratch when they approach landowners or officials who are responsible for regulating public facilities.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Re: Since there is no support for parkflyers...

Lower rates for Parkflyers as well:

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Reduced insurance for reduced risk?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by moo; 08-18-2010 at 08:32 PM.
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
HalfaStrut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Patrick Konkle

Total Props: 0

HI
Sounds interesting, this is pretty much what I fly. And your right there is very little support.. I dont belong to a club don't really want to, so it would be good if there were a number of fields avalable to go to.
I realize the AMA is able to supply ins for the field owner. What about the flier, or must you still belong to MAAC.

Pat
HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

I would guess that if enough people get together and poke the corpse with sticks it's bound to move a little.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Reduced risk?? You guys obviously forgot about the thread where the RCC resident experts figured out that park flyers are more dangerous than jets

I like the inclusive attitude. It should help educate flyers and reduce accidents.

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
mjws
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mike S

Total Props: 0

Last I heard this program was being dumped due to incredibly low interest and turnout. Three year trial or something dumped in the near future? I think there were only a few hundred memberships in the entire US. Complete failure.

I'm sure there are some stats somewhere, and I could be off slightly on the number. Bottom line is the plug and fly park flyer crowd doesn't want to pay for insurance, and the liability isn't significant enough to motivate them to buy.

I believe MAAC has good data on the program.

Mike
mjws is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Hmm.. Interesting concept.
The 3 year performance data is disturbing though.

I strongly feel that MAAC's survival must include continual efforts to spread the word and recruit new members. I would guess that there are as many non MAAC park fliers out there than MAAC members combined.

The problem is, to the rogue park flier- he's presently flying with no additional costs and no rules or any other kind of BS to deal with, so the idea of spending money to get MAAC does not appeal the these people at the present.

It would be interesting to see if this can become something that is "desirable" to a non MAAC affiliated park flier.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjws View Post
Last I heard this program was being dumped due to incredibly low interest and turnout.
Please tell them to remove it from their website
So is MAAC basing their policy on flailure or are they going to push their own program?

I would guess that setting up an indoor or parkflyer club you could bury the insurance if the reality bothered the membership. But at this point in time the club would have to seek out it's own insurance as MAAC is a bit expensive for the parkflyer needs.

And yes, I am a member of MAAC ($75), and a flying club ($90), and may join a second flying club as I am moving in a month or so. (look out Guelph or OMFC!)

What I was thinking was that we (Canadar) needs to promote organized parkflying and indoor flying to get the kind of completions they host in Europe.

Last edited by moo; 08-19-2010 at 08:58 AM.
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
Hmm.. Interesting concept.
The 3 year performance data is disturbing though.

I strongly feel that MAAC's survival must include continual efforts to spread the word and recruit new members. I would guess that there are as many non MAAC park fliers out there than MAAC members combined.

The problem is, to the rogue park flier- he's presently flying with no additional costs and no rules or any other kind of BS to deal with, so the idea of spending money to get MAAC does not appeal the these people at the present.

It would be interesting to see if this can become something that is "desirable" to a non MAAC affiliated park flier.
I agree.

They (the flyers) will become more interested when city bylaws start getting enforced. Many cities have bylaws restricting R/C flying in their parks but they don't enforce them. If and when they start getting kicked out of parks then some of them will seek a new venue. This would be a good time to welcome them into the local clubs and cater to their special needs.

I started as a park flyer. I didn't know there was MAAC and had no idea I shoiuld have insurance. It wasn't till years later I found out there was a bylaw banning R/C craft from parks in Saskatoon where I lived.

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in