Drone Article from the Toronto Star via Google News - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 10-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 3
Drone Article from the Toronto Star via Google News

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
People using the popular drone aircraft for business or pleasure should avoid doing so within eight kilometres of airports, and not operate them higher than 90 metres, Transport Canada says.

Saying she wants to see a “safety culture’’ around the use of the popular drones, or unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) Transport Minister Lisa Raitt introduced some new safety guidelines Tuesday in Toronto.

The new guidelines include avoiding heavily populated areas and not flying them over military bases and prisons.

Transport Canada is also advising against the use of drones near areas such as beaches, sporting events, outdoor festivals or fireworks shows, near moving vehicles, highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere they might interfere with or distract drivers.

Operators should keep them in their field of vision at all times, and fly them during the daylight and in good weather, Transport Canada says.

“We want to keep our skies safe for all aircraft of all sizes,’’ Raitt told reporters in Toronto, who added she doesn’t want to “shut down” the use of drones.

Rules already in place require a special Flight Operations Certificate if the drone weighs more than 35 kg, or if the device is used for work.

If a drone is used without a required certificate, or if the certificate’s rules aren’t followed, Transport Canada can issue fines anywhere from $3,000 to $25,000.

A major concern is the use of drones near passenger planes. Raitt told reporters there’s been an increase in reports about the UAVs being flown close to passenger jets.

The Star has published stories quoting veteran pilots who’ve voiced concerns about possibly hitting the drones in the air.

The government will be in consultations over the next 18 months with the industry to come up with additional new regulations that complement those that already exist.

No longer small recreational hobby planes flown in parks and open lots, the drones are now sophisticated pieces of machinery, travel significant distances and can attain great heights. A lot of young people are mounting cameras on them to shoot videos and take pictures, which has raised some privacy concerns.

Drone users, Raitt told reporters, must also respect the privacy of others and never take photos or video without permission when there are privacy concerns.

Individuals who breach privacy could face sanctions including fines or possibly even criminal charges.
Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
gothicbunny
RCC Contributor

I am: Don N

Re: Drone Article from the Toronto Star via Google News

Nothing new there. FAA and TC give advice to "drone" flyers but have not specified any laws or regulations. Fly safely, which is never bad advice. As for breaches of privacy, there are already laws in place regardless of method.

I was just hoping that ebola would have kept the medias attention long enough for this to be forgotten. Maybe we need to import somebody that is infected.
gothicbunny is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #3
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

Sorry I did n't realize that this was old news for the most part. I'm not a drone guy. I guess it is interesting though that the Star picked up on the issue. Shows you how prevalent this type of aircraft is these days......I guess Transport Canada are trying to reach out to the kind of people who buy these things and go flying without doing any research or giving any thought as to how to do so safely and legally.

Earl "Narly1" Anderson

Old 10-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #4
gothicbunny
RCC Contributor

Sorry, I wasn't coming down on you for posting, I was coming down on the media outlets for fear-mongering and trying to make this an issue.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
Hatch
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dylan L.

Total Props: 14

I just reviewed this Transport Canada web page "Flying an Unmanned Aircraft" which says it was updated yesterday:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...i-uav-2265.htm

I don't know how much this has been discussed before, but I really don't like the way they have phrased things, for example:

Unmanned aircraft (no pilot on board) go by many names—unmanned air vehicle (UAV), remotely piloted aircraft system, model aircraft, remote control aircraft, and drone.

Call it what you want, but always think safety first.

Are they trying to say that a UAV and a model aircraft are the same as far as they're concerned? And some of the "guidelines" don't make much sense, e.g.:

Don't fly:
  • Any closer than 5 miles (8 km) from any airport, heliport or aerodrome.

Is there anywhere in the populated areas of Canada that isn't within 8 km of an "airport, heliport or aerodrome?" Does that refer only to registered aerodromes or does farmer Bill's grass strip count as well?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
Are they trying to say that a UAV and a model aircraft are the same as far as they're concerned?....
I don't think so. It interpret it as saying that UAV, Model Aircraft, etc. are different types of Unmanned Aircraft. (There are different regulations governing the use of each type.)

Just like Helicopter, Airplane, Dirigible, etc. are all types of Aircraft, but each is unique and have unique sets of regulations.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

http://m.news1130.com/2014/10/21/tra...tion-campaign/
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #8
gothicbunny
RCC Contributor

An awareness campaign is exactly what is needed. It should also be targeted towards the public as well. People fear what they don't know or understand.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
Narly1
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicbunny View Post
Sorry, I wasn't coming down on you for posting, I was coming down on the media outlets for fear-mongering and trying to make this an issue.
No worries, none taken....I didn't read your post that way at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicbunny View Post
An awareness campaign is exactly what is needed. It should also be targeted towards the public as well. People fear what they don't know or understand.
If you look at the general public's replies to the bulliten in the link, there's a lot of hatred evident......there's an uphill battle to be fought by responsible hobbyists

Earl "narly1" Anderson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in