24V Power Panel. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
Stolly

Total Props: 0
24V Power Panel.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I figure some of you in this larger engine section would have some easy input for me. I have recently upgraded to a gas (US41) engine which came with a plane I bought. I have a serious problem with hand starting and really dislike the spring starter system with the engine. I guess I value my hands and fingers too much. My 12V starter does not start the motor but a 24V easily turns it over and nicely starts it. I would however like to have a 24V power panel. Does anyone know of one or should I just rig up my own? I would think that hooking up a regular pwr panel to 24V source would mess up the rest of the outlets so I can't see that being an option. Many Thanks.
Dan.
Stolly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Dan,
Before I made a new starter for my gas I had it rigged up for 24v. You need 2 bat. wired in series and have one battery wired to the panel for 12 volts. The panel does not draw very much from the single battery. Pump and Glow plug. It is a pain in the butt with 2 but as you found out it is easier to get running with the 24. Also charge your batteries separately as from past experiance I have found if you lose a cell on one you are going to boil the other. This happens all the time on heavy equipment.
John
Old 03-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

John,

Following your instructions you would need to wire the starter directly to the 2 batteries and not use the starter jacks on the power panel...correct?

Old 03-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Stolly

Ted:

Yeah that's what I think he means also. Which kind of renders the power panel useless the way it is. I have drawn out a sketch to make my own panel (not quite as rich in options mind you) which will have dual12V charge jacks for each batt. (which could also be 12V source) and a 24V set of jacks to start the plane. I was just hoping to find an OEM sort of power panel that would support 24V input therefore have a 24V starting output. He is right about the seperate charging ports so this panel should have that option built in. I can't possibly be the first to want something like this...it must be out there somewhere?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

I was just thinking that Radio Shack, now called The Source probably has banana jack recepticles. You could install these next to your original power panel and wire them to both batteries giving you a 24 volt source.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
Stolly

I have actually already bought a bunch as well as a switch to seperate the two batteries as they are hooked in series. This was in anticipation of building my own panel as I described. If I two batteries to just those jacks and one of those to the usual panel I will backfeed 24V to the panel also as batteries hooked in series. Unless I have some one way current device in there somehow. Like I say somewhere someone must build a 24V panel. May have to go oversees??
Old 03-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Robw
RCC Contributor

I am: Rob W

Just came across this link. Converts any input voltage up to 28 v to output of 2.5-24 volts

http://www.zebrahobby.ca/cgi-bin/cp-...ME:electronics

Flying Tigers RC Club

MAAC# 50959
Robw is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
Stolly

Cool;

something that could almost be built into a high end power panel.

Thanks for that.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #9
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

If you notice on the front of my panel there is a hobbico charger and also a power panel. The other conections which I now changed top right are 2-3/8" bolts marked + and - for my starter. I purchased a cheap set of battery jumper cables and wired them to my starter. Found when on 24v the standard plugs where ready to go up in smoke. You can also wire your batteries in parallel for 12 volts and series for the 24. The switch in the centre was wired for series-parallel. As I mentioned it is not worth it as the panels draw very little. Just watch you don't get a big spark.
The dc to dc panel on the other site looks nice but check your ratings. Looks like 2 amps which is not very much especially if you want to charge from it. Be like the other post in electrics. Lots of smoke.
This is my box and also my new starter. I made a starter also for Brian and it was a 12 volt motor with a gear reduction. Came off a piece of farm equip. he found.
John

Last edited by Vulcan1; 10-19-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Vulcan1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #10
Stolly

Thanks to all of you for your input thus far. I think I'm on the right track. I guess your right about the regular plugs. I may have to use something other than the everday banana plug.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in