Where are Canadians buying their lipo's from?? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #21
Redwings
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul
Radio of choice:
SpectrumDX3
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Re: Where are canadians buying their lipo's from??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by groo View Post
Hk, local snobby shops could stop raking their customers over the coals.
I don't thing that its the Canadian hobby shops fault for this. It's the Tariffs "According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, a tariff, also called a duty, is defined as a tax levied by governments on the value, including freight and insurance, of imported products. Different tariffs are applied on different products by different countries".

That's why is cheaper to shop in the US or overseas. Blame the Government who sets these prices not the Hobby Shops. Nuf said. I Shop overseas too but go to the local HS for odds and ends.
Redwings is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
F34RL355
RCC Apprentice

I am: LUCKY P
Radio of choice:
FUTABA
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2
Re: Where are Canadians buying their lipo's from??

i support local hobby shops if the are reasonably priced, not the case though so i order online. last time i went into my LHS they wanted 18$ for an NGK spark plug, no thnaks
F34RL355 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Skidoo55
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Paul F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 13

Here's how I look at it... HobbyKing allows more people to enjoy this hobby... if it wasn't for hobbyking, the prices at the local hobbyshop would prevent a good percentage of people from participating. You walk into the hobbyshop, and look at a Parkzone foamie, the price is pretty reasonable, somewhere between $150 - $200... not bad, but to really have some fun, you NEED at least 2 batteries and a decent charger. Well, the parkzone 3 cell batteries are somewhere about $70 each, so on top of the plane, you need to drop another $70 for the 2nd battery. Then you think about the 3rd and 4th battery... Another $140? That's when I would walk away. If the guys in the hobby store embraced HK just a little, that's when they would tell you that you can get Turnigy batteries for a fraction of the price, and they sell the plane to you. You buy the turnigy batteries, and they outlast and outperform the parkzone batteries at about $12.00 each. Ya, you have the shipping cost, but who cares, because you just ordered 4 batteries for less than the price of 1 parkzone.

Buy your planes at your local hobby store, buy your batteries at HK.

Better yet, forget that electric stuff, and get a nitro powered plane! (Just had to throw that in!)
Skidoo55 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Token
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dave B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 2
Re: Where are canadians buying their lipo's from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwings View Post
I don't thing that its the Canadian hobby shops fault for this. It's the Tariffs "According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, a tariff, also called a duty, is defined as a tax levied by governments on the value, including freight and insurance, of imported products. Different tariffs are applied on different products by different countries".

That's why is cheaper to shop in the US or overseas. Blame the Government who sets these prices not the Hobby Shops. Nuf said. I Shop overseas too but go to the local HS for odds and ends.
You're incorrect here.

In Canada we really don't care what the U.S. Department of Commerce has to say.

We go by the Canada Border Services Agency Customs Tarrif.

Batteries for "Other toys and models, incorporating a motor" would be covered under article: 9503.00.90.89

Where the MFN (Most Favored Nation) Tarrif is "Free" (This would include China) even the Preferential Tarrifs (CCCT, LDCT, GPT, UST, MT, MUST, CIAT, CT, CRT, IT, NT, SLT, PT, COLT, JT) are all "Free"

That's why you only pay the HST to the Government when you import LIPOs.

Of course, you also pay a brokerage fee to the carrier.
When the shipment arrives via Canada Post there is a fixed brokerage fee rate of $8.00, but this is an unregulated fee, so the carrier can choose to charge whatever they want, like UPS commonly chooses to charge $49.00.
Token is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #25
xxfile
RCC Apprentice

I am: Howard Buck
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Im sure everyone here knows this but for those that dont
NEVER EVER EVER....EVER ship UPS from USA to Canada.....
their brokerage fees are insane....
I suppport my LHS as much as possible.
Im currently after a Losi SCTE 2.0 and Horizon Hobby is going to make him wait two weeks after the other shops get them as he isnt a certified partner.
soooo I will wait the two weeks as its now under two feet of snow anyways BUT its shitty that the Mother ship is putting the smaller shops at a disadvantage just because they dont do big numbers with Horizon...
I have bought Lipos from HK but lately have bought Venom 8000 MAH for the Losi.
I see the HK batts crappping out after a season plus 2 weeks and i have two full seasons on the venoms they ARE about double the HK price but at the time HK didnt carry batts over about 6000 mah...
xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
Zrock
RCC Apprentice

I am: Brian D

Total Props: 1

Im just in the process of ordering lipo's.. not sure to order the great hobby's brand or order the traxxas from another Canadian site.. Anyone have experience with the great hobbies brand?
Zrock is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
Captain Long Dong
RCC Noob

I am: Dong W
Radio of choice:
The one in my van.
# of RCs: 15

Where can I get a couple of 7S Lipos (I actually need two) to power my Tacon 110 Bigfoot? And, what ESC with BEC would work with this set up? Thanks. Dong.
Captain Long Dong is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in