The passing of a local scale legend! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11
The passing of a local scale legend!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It is with great sadness that I must make this post.

Udo Pique, a very good friend and long time (20+ years) scale heli modeler, passed away on March 28th after a 3 month battle with lung cancer. He built very nice and detailed scale models that were never just hanger queens. He could usually be seen flying one of them at our local field every weekend. He will certainly be missed by his many friends, family and clubmates.

I have been asked by his wife, to sell off his hobby items and was hoping some of you could give me a good idea of what I should ask for his two current steeds.

Both are the big Vario gas powered helis that have similar gear. One is the big Hughes 500D with the Vario 5 blade head with the Vario specific blades that attach with two bolts. The other is their big EC-145/ BK-117 which has the Vario 4-blade head with the Vario specific blades that also attach with two bolts.

Both use the Vario Petrol Mechanics and are powered by the RC-G240 engine with the Vario specific exhaust system.

Both come fully detailed with the Vario cockpit, pilot figure, optional scale fittings, all doors open and close (sliding rear doors on the EC-145), high intensity LED lighting system. The EC-145 also has the Vario 40 degree tail drive gearbox,

For radio gear, both use the Futaba R6014FS fast receiver coupled to the Skookum 720 FBL control system using 4 x HiTech HS5645 servos to control the swashplate, and the Futaba S9256 servos on the tail with the GV-1 governor working with the Stator Gator sensor.

Both are flown with his Futaba 12FG FASST radio.

When I totaled the components in each, I found that each one would cost about $6000.00 to get into the air, if the 12FG TX was included.

Here is a a video of his first flight last year with the H500D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTvGVR-7Tdw

and here is the EC145:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7EmvZ0K5ps

Could you fellows please give me an idea of what I should ask for these two gems?

As they are so well detailed I would first like to try to sell them locally as packing them for shipping anywhere would require some special crates and packing to do so safely.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
vinver
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Vincent V.
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 1
Re: The passing of a local scale legend!

Hi Phil,
Just saw this posted on Scale helis website sorry to hear of Udos passing. I watched some of his You-tube videos, I see there's a Schluter magic video looks like you filmed in 1989! Very rare to hear of helicopter flyers that stick with it until the end, his loss must be a big one for you and everyone who knew him.
Vince
vinver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #3
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11

Thank you Vinver. Udo was one of the first people I met from the RC community when I first moved here in 1980. We flew airplanes then and both got into helis together in 1985. After we became relatively proficient with them, he became more interested in scale while I moved more toward FAI & aerobatics. But we always continued to fly together.

His Magic in 1989 was his last aerobatic heli. After that, he moved into building many different Vario scale helis....his first being one of their 60 sized Bell 222.

He was a man of many talents, as he was a precision machinist by trade, a very good photographer, accomplished gardener, computer guru and a very proficient artist with water colours also. So there are many people indeed who will be missing him.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

Yes we will miss him and the christmas emails every year how is Crystal doing I hope she is coping with it

If there's anything I can do to help shout Phil

I'm Not far away
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
ve1ahm
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gar y

Total Props: 0
New Brunswick Re: The passing of a local scale legend!

Hi Phil;

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. I watched the videos of the two helicopters. Excellent workmanship and very well flown. Certanly a great loss to the RC community.

Gary
MAAC 15252

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in