Nose-In - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Cdallas2
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris D

Total Props: 0
Nose-In

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I've taken the jump and and started on nose-in. I seem to do okay on FMS but went out to the field today and scared myself silly.

Anyone have any tips/recommendations?
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Jeremy300
RCC Contributor

I am: Jeremy L
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3
Re: Nose-In

Slow figure eights. Just pause when nose in for a few seconds and continue on your way. Gradually increase the amount of time you pause for. Eventually you'll be able to hold nose in all day just like a standard tail in hover.

Jeremy
Jeremy300 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken Lee
Radio of choice:
JR 28X

Total Props: 4

Is this upright or inverted nose-in <G>

You can sneak up on it. Hover either with the heli side-on, left or right side, and rotate the heli SLIGHTLY nose-in until you're comfortable. Bail out by applying throttle and "straightening" the heli, nose-out. Or do what I did decades ago when there were no SIMs, nor HH gyros; put a training gear on and bounce the crap out of the heli until you got it :=0

When you're really comfortable, do the Curtis Youngblood, "T". Hover nose-in, traveling left, stop, and then back to center, then to the right, and back to center, and then away from you, back to center without wavering :=)
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

my pals had a problem with nose in also ,could not and do not understand why ??they had been flying planes for years. is this the first thing you have flown I would understand that ,I flew planes for years and never found it mutch differant .just curious if most airplane guys find this easy.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
goneflyin
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Don M

Total Props: 3

Back to the sim....
This is why the sim is so valuable, orientation training.
I spent hours and hours to get the orientation down, and it sure pays off in comfort at the field.
Set up your sim-heli with soft controls (low sensitivity) and work on precision hovering over a spot, close in. I would start tail-in, then 1/2 pirouette slowly to nose-in, and work on holding it rock steady. Sounds boring, but ya gotta do it.
Tips are: everything is backwards, nose-in!
I wouldn't do it at the field till you're bang-on on the computer.
When you get comfortable, turn up the gusty wind on the sim, then also try hovering with sides facing you, then do quick transitions from tail-in to nose-in, to side views etc. while keeping that precision spot. Side-facing hovering is a good challenge too!

Don
goneflyin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

I find flying back and forth is what made me comfortable with nose in. I would technically make very wide and squished figure 8's, or ovals bringing the heli around and flying toward myself and then passing by just like normal - then turning around and doing it again.

You can spend all the time you want hovering, but you really won't get proficient with side and nose in until you fly yourself around.

Don't treat "Nose In" as a distinct and separate thing to learn - it's part of the above mentioned flying right now for you. It will separate itself as a specific skill in time.

Next thing you know you'll be hovering side in and nose in, and pulling smooth, slow piros without telling your fingers what to do.

Hope this makes sense?

Have fun.

Mark
MarkToo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
keithgr148
RCC Contributor

I am: Keith G
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: -21

Question what size of heli do you have ?? take it as high as can and try to do nose in ! if you feel that you are going to lose it bring it back too a hover . thats what worked for me . good luck and don't rush it sooner or later you will get it .
keithgr148 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Cdallas2
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris D

Total Props: 0

A bit of background.

Been flying planes for ages but only got into heli's this past summer.

I'm flying both a Century Hawk Sport and a T-Rex 450 Clone.

I've got tail-in and side-on down pat and now am ready to move on.

I'll take some of your guy's advice and see what I can do. I just wish my sim was better but oh well.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken Lee
Radio of choice:
JR 28X

At least you got out flying; sorta cold on the Coast, although Wednesday was warm (round of golf).

Good luck, and we'll see you at a FF someday.

Ken
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #10
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

I find it's as mutch in your mind as it is your fingers(the only time I had any troubble flying nose in is once in a while I would think about what I was doing and there is no time for that ,just trust yourself) ,you already know how to fly nose in ,been doing it for years , it's just like a plane ,push the stick to the low wing when it comes at you or points at you ,or the low side of the chopper in this case .and reduce the throws so you don't get into troubble fast if you do make a mistake.I also like to have the heli crawl forward a little this way I have to hold slight back pressure on the stick ,airplane thing I guess LOL but it helped .Roger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in