Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Total Props: 0
Heli Tragedy in Houston Texas

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The gentleman who was killed was the instructor at the time. A horrible reminder to be safe.

Bob

more discussion at . http://runryder.com/helicopter/t70830p1/
============================================

Man killed by model helicopter
07:01 AM CST on Monday, November 3, 2003

By Jeremy Desel / 11 News

HOUSTON -- A bizarre accident with a model helicopter killed a Houston man Sunday afternoon.

The victim was watching the radio-controlled aircraft at Tom Bass Park in southwest Harris County.

KHOU-TV
The helicopter that killed the victim is fuel-powered and radio-controlled.
"They can get up to some pretty high speeds," said Sgt. Hudson with the Harris County Sheriff's Department.

Traffic was grounded after the accident as sheriff's investigators tried to figure out what happened to cause the death of 41-year-old Ronald Kyle of southwest Houston.

"He was going through some flight maneuvers with the helicopter and he turned the controls over to the student and the helicopter got away from him," said Hudson.

Kyle was an instructor.

The student, who police did not identify, owns the model involved in the incident.

KHOU-TV
Some children were reportedly in the park when the accident happened and may have seen it.
Its 2-inch wide blades are made of fiberglass, but the engine spins with enough power to make them dangerous -- especially if the craft gets out of control -- which appeared to be the case Sunday.

"Came back toward the two individuals and the helicopter struck the deseased in the throat area," said Hudson.

The impact of the crash killed Kyle almost immediately.

Investigators say the man operating the helicopter had been in one of this areas ten chapters of the Academy of Model Aeronautics for about nine months. That organization has more than 170,000 members nationwide.

We are told the student was working toward a flight certification -- but had yet to complete it.

There are designated areas for flying and for watching at the park. Both men were in the operations area at the time.
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Man, what a terrible way to go!!!

This is the first time I've personally have heard of someone being killed by a heli! I don't think any of us ever have the thought pass through our minds that we go to the field but may not come home! This is as said, a perfect reason to ALWAYS be thinking "Safety!" A sad and tragic event to say the least!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:02 PM   #3
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Several years ago, just before I joined my old club, a heli threw a blade, and it hit one of the members in the throat. He survived and is now the clubs webmaster....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-03-2003, 08:15 PM   #4
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I hate to say this, but every time I watch someone hover a heli at neck-height, 5-15 feet away from themselves, I get a queasy weak-in-the-knees feeling. I can't watch. I know it's rare, but the thought of something-ANYTHING-going wrong at that point just scares the bejeezus out of me.
I've heard stories of thrown heli blades going through walls, and pilots ducking as their momentary lapse of concentration allows the heli to suddenly come towards them.

Maybe it's just me, though.

But it's enough to keep me from trying it.

And then there's the stories of people practicing hovering in their back-yard in a residential neighbourhood. Imagine what would happen if a switch went bad or a wire came loose!

I'm not anti-heli, I'd love to learn to fly one, but the way they are flown does not feel safe to me.

Just my opinion.
Or maybe I'm just a chicken.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:49 PM   #5
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
When I was in the club up north a fellow club member came out with a brand new heli, a 60 size. He was hovering it just about as you said Ron at about sholder height. I was standing off about 25' away talking to a friend and all we heard was ... " HEADS UP"!!

I looked up just in time to see this thing coming sideways at us. I hit the deck and my friend jumped back and the heli went woooshing by us and hit the ground about 10' the other side and beat itself to death on the ground. Boy that was close!!! After the above story I can really imagine what might have happened hadn't we gotten out of the way!!!

Not to bash Heli's either, if you remember, just a few months ago a 13 year old girl was killed in England by a .40 size airplane.

I know what a moment of distraction can do. Just two months ago I ended up with 14 stitches in my left wrist and arm from a 16" prop getting too close. It only takes a second to happen but a long long time getting over it!

I really hate it when people refer to model aircraft as toys. We know they are NOT toys! Occurances as those above prove they demand our attention at all times. Lets enjoy the hobby, have fun and always be safe!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #6
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I agree that there are probably more incidents with planes, but I wonder what the ratio is planes/helis actually flying out there?

I hope that all the heli instructors out there consider the buddy-box for the important safety tool it is. Even hovering 25 ft out, an instructor would not have much chance to grab the TX in time to prevent an accident.

The combination of the huge rotor, the inherent instability, and the type of close in flying creates the need for extreme caution at all times.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:13 AM   #7
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4
Heli Incident

What a sad way to go.

Jason,
Would it be possible, and appropriate, to send a group condolences to this man's family?
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:12 AM   #8
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1
I have a paranoia of standing beside an aircraft being held vertical with the engine wide open. My Pt-40 had an old bushing .40 engine in it and it had a problem keeping the prop on. I have since retired that engine, and never had a prop fly off on me again, but I still get the jitters everytime someone does that.

I think sending condolances from everyone at RCC is a good idea. It could have happened to anyone, but this poor guy was the one. Is there anyway we can send signatures to you (Jason) to add to what you would send to them?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in