Counter Rotating Propellors - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

I am: P P

Total Props: 4
Counter Rotating Propellors

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've built and flown my first quadcopter and it occurred to me as I was putting on the props that two of them will have a tendency to un-tighten due to the direction they need to turn. I know the higher end props can be attached to cw and ccw hubs to avoid this problem but mine is a low budget quad and I'm using basic plastic props. I'm using screw on aluminum prop adapters and so far cranking them real tight has prevented them coming undone. Can this be a problem? I'm planning on building a twin engine aircraft with counter rotating props and I would hate to lose a prop. Input would be appreciated. Thanks.
bugsmasher is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110
Re: Counter Rotating Propellors

I have not had any issues with either typical prop adapters or the threaded motors on Quads of 450 size and 10 inch props. Just make them nice and snug. I actually ordered the motors for my latest with two of each thread but somebody goofed and I got all the same thread. They are the ones that can take the threaded self-tightening DJI type props. I just reamed out a set of regular plastic props and attached with provided nuts, working just fine.

I don't think you will have any issues with an electric powered plane either.

Piston engine may be a different story as the torque pulses from power strokes give a continual "thumping" if you will that can tend to loosen prop nuts.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

Thanks Dave

I've been checking them all the time and they don't seem to be loosening at all. I just wanted to check if I was asking for trouble by spinning them in the direction of the thread. I wouldn't do it on my nitro planes but then again it's not really and option since they only turn in the one direction. The electric motors are perfect for counter rotating props.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #4
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

must be hundreds of thousands of quads out there running with right hand thread adaptors all around, as I have done on several quads.

but some of the miniquads come with right and left thread adaptors, to help prevent this issue (eg RCX motors, Emax motors). I am using a couple of them on a twin-prop airplane project now (to have the benefit of counter-rotating neutral handling and crazy flat spins due to differential thrust yaw authority!).
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
bugsmasher
RCC Contributor

I'm going to get the DC-3 from Hobbyking eventually. I don't plan on flat spinning it though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in