King pulls to the left - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
MaxTakeoff
RCC Contributor

I am: Stu H
Radio of choice:
Futaba (the best) 7C

Total Props: 0
King pulls to the left

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I need some help with this. I have a Honeybee King, the original one with the shaft driven tail, everything stock, apart from new receiver. I have set everything in the head as level as I can, including servo arms, swashplate, paddles and have checked that the main shaft, feathering shaft and fly-bar are all straight.
Here's a picture of how it was ready for testing earlier tonight ...

When I got it in the air, it took half right cyclic to keep it level! I landed it and got my kid to disconnect the battery while I tried to keep the stick where it was, this is how the swashplate looked ...

I don't know what to look for now, I'd appreciate any suggestions - it can't be right to need the swashplate at that angle!

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: King pulls to the left

Did you measure each rotor blade seperatly with a pitch guage?

Anyway, the first place to look is if the white paddles are even
Move the rotors around slowly by hand and watch the paddles
as they come around to the sides of the heli

Last edited by cassat; 02-24-2009 at 08:54 PM.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
MaxTakeoff
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba (the best) 7C

Thanks for the input, I don't have a pitch gauge but each of the main rotors is set pretty close to zero pitch at zero throttle and I checked that the blades were tracking.
The first picture is taken from the side of the heli with the paddles lined up level - by eye.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that if I bring the heli up to eye level and try to keep it steady, the fly-bar and paddles look to be rotating in a different plane to the main rotor. The paddles are closer to the main rotors on the left when looking from the back.

Last edited by MaxTakeoff; 02-25-2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Clarification
MaxTakeoff is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

A few observations: You will get left drift due to the tail rotor, but you should not require that much swash tilt to counter it. On the King 2 I recommend, after setting your pitch linkage for a perfectly flat swash, to then lengthen the left rear servo-to-swash link ONE FULL TURN. This helps counter that side thrust and make things more stable. What may aggravate the problem would be weight imbalance, with everything more to toward the L.H. side, or you could have possible structural damage.

NOTE: Due to that side thrust, in a stable hover the heli will sit right skid low.

Second, flybar paddles are absolutely critical for a good flying machine, but if they were off a bit the effect would be all around the rotor, not just confined to one side. Usual symptom would be blade tracking problems that are RPM dependent.

Lastly, your flybar IS above the axis of the main blades, so you should see them flying in a different plane.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
MaxTakeoff
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba (the best) 7C

Cougar429 (or can I call you Cougar? ), thank you for confirming some thoughts for me. I am wondering whether I've got a weight imbalance - how would you check this?
I don't see any structural damage but I will have another look tonight - it should be fairly obvious though wouldn't you think, to cause that much tilt on the swashplate?

I have put larger tail blades on that improved the rear end but I think that only changed the pitch of the tail blades not the lateral force.

Sorry I meant that the fly-bar isn't parallel to the main blades in stable hover, not that the planes are different. On my Blade CP Pro - the fly-bar looks pretty much exactly parallel with the main blades when hovering - on the King the paddles are closer to the main blades on the left side than they are on the right side.

Last edited by MaxTakeoff; 02-25-2009 at 04:20 PM.
MaxTakeoff is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
truman
RCC Contributor

I am: Robert S

level the swashplate if that doesn't work it might be the stock servos they don't center well this was my experience anyway. after you level the swash recheck everything else as they will be off a little from the adjustment.

Rob
truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
MaxTakeoff
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba (the best) 7C

Rob, I can't level the swashplate any better than I had it in the first two pictures - that was how it was set up before I flew it. The tilt in the last picture is how I had to have the swashplate to prevent the heli veering off to the left - as you say it should be level not tipped over like that.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
truman
RCC Contributor

I am: Robert S

correct me if I am wrong might just be the picture but it looks like your feathering shaft is bent

Rob
truman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
MaxTakeoff
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba (the best) 7C

Ya, in that last picture it does look a bit bent doesn't it? I'm fairly sure that it's straight but I'll check it again. Although, if the feathering shaft was bent, it's rotating, so that would tend to cause vibration and blade tracking issues wouldn't it - as opposed to pulling in one particular direction?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

You say you're using larger tail blades that improved handling. I assume then you have flown it with the stock blades. Did it require that much trim with the stock blades?

and no the feathering shaft wouldn't do that. it'd show up in tracking as you suspect.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in