Newbie here - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Tarl
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Newbie here

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi folks;
Just joined the site and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first heli. I bought an upgraded e-flite Blade CP from another forum member. I'm 50 years old and am new to RC flight. I did own a couple of string controlled planes back in the 70s and I've built lots of models in my day. Between a good sim and the Blade I'm really looking forward to learning and being part of the community.
Tarl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Re: Newbie here

Your main concern will be with holding the tail steady. Best to have a spare battery as
the tail may unlock as your battery voltage wears down. The Blade 400 is a steadier
machine but you have to start somewhere.
Best to get a spare pack of feather shafts and set of spare blades

cheers

ps. where is Aerosmith, Ont? lots of rock n roll?

Last edited by cassat; 04-16-2009 at 08:14 PM.
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Tarl
RCC Noob

Thanks for the tips......

Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
bobreib
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bob R.
Radio of choice:
FRSKY Taranis & Graupner MX-16

Total Props: 5

Have someone help you with a buddy box connected to your transmitter.
An experienced heli flier can help you with the setup of the transmitter and can save your heli from mistakes that you may make when you first start to fly.
bobreib is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
7kcabfun
RCC Apprentice

Smile Re: Newbie here

Welcome to the addiction called RC Heli flying. The blade is a good machine for indoors. It is not always the best to start with as it is pretty unstable. Even though you may be able to hover inverted and do all sorts of cool 3D tricks on the sim the real thing is different. A good place to start is in the hover with the tail facing towards you and leave the idle up mode off for the beginning. This way if you get in trouble you can just throttle down and land. With idle up on going stick down will slam the heli to the ground and break the skids and probably roll over. Don't go at it with the idea that today is the day I am going to do "whatever new move" they will come when you are ready. When you crash just make sure to put it back together right everytime. I am sure someone can guide you in the right direction if you have problems. Hopefully you have the plastic head and wood blades. If you go Metal head or Carbon Blades you just break more expensive parts. The carbon blades almost always break the tail boom in a crash. The metal head is a lot more responsive than the plastic and the Bell-Hiller mixers need the ball links turned opposite ways before it will fly properly. PM if you need more info. Lastly go to a hobby shop and get a couple RC plane wheel locks, they look a lot like the little weights on the fly bar and they are only $2 compared to $6 for the weights from E-flite. Add them to the fly bar out by the paddles. Having the two sets of weights out there will slow the cyclic response and make it easier to learn with. Once you get better you can start moving them in towards the main shaft and speed things up a bit.

I learned on this heli and afterwards I found it dead easy to fly bigger electrics and nitro helis. I still have two CPs. Depends on which CP you have but some come with a Head Lock Gyro. If you don't have on start looking E-flite sells the stand alone one off the CP Pro 2 for about $50 US and it is worth every penny. Good Luck and Have fun its a great hobby
7kcabfun is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Welcome to the hobby, sounds like you're already on the right track by getting a sim.

Here is the basic training course I recommend to all my students:
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

If you follow it to the letter and spend quality time on the sim (there's no point trying flips in the first 10 minutes) then you will be successful. The important thing with the sim is to treat it just as you would the real thing, don't accept a crash every 20 seconds and don't over estimate your abilities.

It's a great hobby...
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Jiver
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gordon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9 BE, DX3R & DX3S
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarl View Post
Hi folks;
Just joined the site and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first heli. I bought an upgraded e-flite Blade CP from another forum member. I'm 50 years old and am new to RC flight. I did own a couple of string controlled planes back in the 70s and I've built lots of models in my day. Between a good sim and the Blade I'm really looking forward to learning and being part of the community.
Welcome!

Take your time and enjoy the process of learning to fly helicopters. If I may suggest; spend the majority of time on your SIM. It will pay off when you fly an RC helicopter.

Good Luck & Have Fun...

Thanks,

Gordon

RC: Nitro and Electric Helicopters, Planes, Cars, and Trucks; Non-RC: Ballroom Dance and Fencing!

MAAC 77725
Jiver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Tarl
RCC Noob

I went to my local hobby store today to by a charger and came home with an E-Flite CX2 (clearance sale). It comes with a charger and all that is needed to fly. Read the manual, watched the video and have gone through 2 batteries out in the garage. I can hover very well up to about 6 feet, can do some side to side, backwards and forwards and a little bit of spinning. I got the training landing gear on....no crashes but a couple of hard landings. Lotsa fun and everything is still in one piece. I figure I'll practice with this until my CP arrives.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

Good luck I hope you do well
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in