RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #171
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas NBartley

Total Props: 3
Elec Re: Twin Otter Build!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Hey doug here is the link to the youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6kvOU9XYI
Hey Rob: I couldn't get there from my computer, maybe a security thing. Now that you've posted here, it takes me directly to the video, thanks again for your help. flytwice
flytwice is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #172
vonJaerschky
RCC Contributor

I am: Frank J.

Total Props: 0
Re: Twin Otter Build!!

Great job, Doug!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #173
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Thanks von: It really is a sweet flyer, like I said the next two flights in calmer conditions (no gusts to 20klms) proved her finess in the air.
It was slightly nose heavy in the videoed flight, moving the batteries back 1/2" made the flair much easier. I've also dialed in 10% more up elevator and taken 10% out of the expo for s slightly quicker landing response. Hopefully, no more nose wheel landings!! hehe. flytwice

Old 07-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #174
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9

Pretty nice, I like the way she looks so smooth in the air...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #175
Caygeon Flyer
Level 2 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Peter C

Total Props: 0

Lookd Great Doug!!

Job well Done

Caygeon Flyer
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #176
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Thank you all: The Twin Otter really is a sweet flyer! I had two more flights last night, a little windy, but straight down the runway at least!
My first landing I got a very gentle bounce, second flight I had moved the battery ahead about 3/8" (DUH!!!), mind must have been in reverse. Landing with a harder bounce, bent the nose wheel back (again).
Its all apart now to straighten, reinforce,and move the battery BACK. She actually quite sensitive to CG (a little surprising), need to find that sweetspot! First flight used 4950mah from 8800 (3S), second under dieing winds used 3900mah. On the first flight into a headwind I had her flying at what seemed 5 mph, amazingly stable if no crosswind, but because of its light weight, it will get bounced around.
The Owen Sound Barnstormer are having their Annual Funfly this coming Sat, 9-4pm. I need more practise ( after field prep). I can't wait to fly this bird again. She will be likely going to the Kawartha Scale Classic's, I just need to get more comfortable, so I can start doing a routine of manuvuers! flytwice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050011.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	111717  
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #177
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi folks: Well the Twin Otter has now had a dozen flights. Nose wheel is now standing up better since the redo. I'm still experimenting with battery placement, a quarter inch either way makes a real difference, not in actual flight, but in landing.
Practise is difficult because I have only two sets of batteries and no charging at the field. More batteries are on their way!
I hope to attend the Kincardine Cloudbusters RC Funfly July 23 with the TO! Should be fun! Flying tonite too. flytwice
Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #178
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Four more flights at the Kitchener Scale rally. My new shipment of batteries arrived 2 days before rally.
Lots of nice comments on TO's flying prowess,most couldn't believe it flies on 3S! The Rally was super, as uusal, lots of great planes and fliers.
I want to thank John for the wondwerful Barbequed Steak Supper I was invited to Sat night. And his Mom, for the magnum Timmy's Sunday morning!!
If anyone is interested in building a Twin Otter, I'd recommend Ivan Pettigrews plans. I believe Manzano laser works has a short kit available for both the 480 and 600 sized TO (mine is the 600). Some have built this plane as light as 6 1/2 lbs. I added structure and some details to cover my landings, ended up at 8 lbs,6ozs AUW. It still flies very nicely, 1/2 flaps will slow her down to 12-15 mph on calm days.
I may try her off skiis later. flytwice
Old 09-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #179
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Fantastic. Great flight reports.

I have the same issue on my PBY with respect to the battery location. I ended up using a paint stir-stick that I marked the position of the CG, and attach the battery to the stir stick. The batt only goes on the stick one way, with the exact location marked on the stir stick. There is another mark on the stir stick that lines up with a corresponding mark in the fuselage of the PBY, so when the battery goes in, it nests exactly in the same spot every time. It has made for a much more consistent flights between batteries

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #180
flytwice
RCC Expert Contributor

Hi MAx: My battery pack, 4 2200/3S/25c in parallel, all made up packs exactly the same. My battery mounting try has a mark placed for exact CG, originally slightly nose heavy.
I have now moved that mark back 1/4", it lets the plane be much more neutral in flight and easier to maintain the flair on landing! The Twin Otter liked to bounce on landing with the original CG, but far less with battery back. I may even try it a little further back yet, maybe another 1/8th".
I like to bring her in nose high, flaps down, and slow!! Doug B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in