OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Edward O
Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Robart hindge glue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi, I am going to be building my new plane using robart hinges and robart recommends using a glue called Gorilla glue. My question is where can I purchase this stuff?
OTTERTOK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #2
brad-a
RCC Junior Contributor

Home hardware and Walmart have it.
brad-a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Edward O
Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Glue

Thanks brad-a.
OTTERTOK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Angus
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Canadian Tire too.
Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Gorilla Glue

Hi,

You may not find it under the name "Gorilla Glue". It is also made by Elmers's and they call it "PROBOND". As stated a couple of posts down (thanks), Elmer makes two ProBond glues, you want the one that states polyurethane on the label. It is a very strong glue, but can be messy if you use too much. Almost any large hardware store will have it, Home Depot, Rona, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware etc. It will seem expensive, but will go a long way, make sure you seal it tightly after use.

It is a polyurethane glue that can be used any where you need strength and a glue that will expand to fill in gaps. It also can be sanded when completely cured.

Usually you will "mist" the glue with water to start the setting process. If you are putting glue in a small hole, put a drop of water in the hole first, if it is a large hole, "mist" the hole with water first. The glue will expand most during the first 2 hours, check it the first hour and second hour and wipe off any excess.

If you are doing hinges, put a little vaseline over the hinge joints first with a toothpick so it will not glue the hinge joint and can be easily cleaned off. If you are glueing a joint (such as wing halves) put tape along the joint so you can easily clean the glue off the outside joining surfaces.

If you have never used the glue before, you may want to see how much it expands by putting an 1/8 in. line on a scrap piece of wood, then "misting" it with a spray bottle of water and check it a couple of hours later - it will be gooey. Most of the expansion will take a couple of hours, it will take longer to cure.

If you are glueing coroplast (plastic cardboard for a SPAD - such as election signs), rough up both surfaces first with sand paper, apply a little evenly to both surfaces, "mist" with water then clamp together.

Hope this helps.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
Jabba
RCC Expert Contributor

do not get carried away using it --- as it is a FOAM type glue.

by that I mean it EXPANDS as it hardens
Old 05-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
Gorilla Glue

Hi Ed,

Wayne Miller's statement that the glue is also made by Elmer's and is called Pro Bond is true, but can be confusing. They also market an outdoor aliphatic resin glue with the same name (ProBond).

You need to be sure to check the label and choose the "polyurethane glue" type. The aliphatic resin is yellowish in colour and the polyurethane is a dark brown colour.

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
brad-a
RCC Junior Contributor

How to Install Robart Hingepoints

Here is the link to the article with video

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=269
brad-a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Go back up and reread Wayne Millers wisdom.
Only thing I can add is buy the smallest container you can find since this stuff tends to harden in the container after it is opened and a little goes a long way for our uses.
When installing hinges squirt a little on any throw away surface and seal up the container quickly,then fill your hinge hole or whatever working from the amount you squirted out.Even moisture in the air will start the hardening process in the conainer it appears.
When I install Robarts hinges on any project I use poly u glue almost always currently and after installing go back to the job after the glue starts foaming but before it hardens and slick the excess away with a Q tip for a really neat job.
The combination of the Robats toothed hinges and expanding glue really locks the hinges in place........
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
also used when building S.P.A.D.'s if you're so inclined to use some more after finishing with your hinges.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in