Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Re: Internet Fraud

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
By the way, IMO the best way to get paid today is by an email money transfer. If you are on online banking its a fraud proof way to get the $$ deposited directly into your account with neither the seller or buyer having to have ANY of the other's personal info other than an email address, as the banks take care of the rest. A cheap $1.50 fee for peace of mind and the $$ is in your account immediately.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
89 yota
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
By the way, IMO the best way to get paid today is by an email money transfer. If you are on online banking its a fraud proof way to get the $$ deposited directly into your account with neither the seller or buyer having to have ANY of the other's personal info other than an email address, as the banks take care of the rest. A cheap $1.50 fee for peace of mind and the $$ is in your account immediately.

AJC
I agree for recieving money however I am not a fan of sending money this way as you have no way of being protected as a BUYER with the email money transfer. Once the money is accepted at their end you have no way of recovering it if they stiff you.
89 yota is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
With all the shady dealings happening nowadays, I would say anything is possible.
I would have to disagree after working in the security industry. It takes some pretty serious skills to break in to places that are well secured.

Quote:
We've all heard of credit card scanner fraud; where the crooks use a gadget to record credit card/debit card numbers and PIN numbers which allows them full access to the account.
This is why credit card companies have security departments and cover their loss for fraudulent use.

Quote:
Another new item I've just recently heard of is where crooks use some sort of radio rx which picks up codes used on remote keyless entry key fobs and records this when someone close by uses their key fob to access their own vehicle. They then transmit the same code they just recorded to gain access to the vehicle and can clean that out as well. As far as stealing the vehicle goes; if the vehicle uses a computer chip encoded key in the ignition; the theft will probably be foiled. But how long will it take before hackers figure out something here as well. In my honest opinion; probably not that long.
Um, no, unless you have a really, really, really old remote, say fifteen years?
Remote manufacturers went to rolling code that long ago, the code changes every press of the button, the code will not work a second time.

Garage door openers too.

Quote:
Its too bad there are getting to be more and more dishonest people in the world. Ordinary citizens are becoming a minority it seems. With times being as tough as they are, things like this will be ever increasing.
That was two decades ago and will be the same complaint two decades from now.
Ordinary citizens are not generally honest. e.g. income tax evasion; they are stealing from you and I both.

Quote:
Things have to be getting bad. I went to pick up my order from GH at my local postal outlet the other day and was actually surprised that I needed photo id in order to pick it up. Prior to this, usually all that was required was to sign my name stating that I was who I said I was. Well, those days seem to have gone by.
Pay cash or pay by credit card when you get there; MY credit card agreement specifically states that I cannot be compelled to show any other ID nor be required to give the vendor any other information.

Quote:
Obviously, honest people are becoming a rare breed; and I am thinking this would apply world wide. That's too bad, because there are all sorts of good people out there.
You just contradicted yourself.

Its this simple:
Better communications leads to more people getting detailed instructions on how to scam.
Other people trusting scammers and corporations promising protection from fraud. (and paying for this service)

People still have to protect themselves, as always throughout human history.
Education and information are the best weapons.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 yota View Post
I agree for recieving money however I am not a fan of sending money this way as you have no way of being protected as a BUYER with the email money transfer. Once the money is accepted at their end you have no way of recovering it if they stiff you.
Simple: don't deal with someone you don't trust.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #15
g-manz35
RCC Master Contributor

I am: George S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-a View Post
Do a little research and get the facts right.

Shauna Foster is radio announcer in Saskatoon.

She left that part out of her email.
She would have received a (fake) money order for an amount greater than the asking price of her stuff. Then she would have been asked, (and did) to wire the difference back to the original buyer/scammer
they didn't 'drain' her bank account. She wired the difference to the scammer, and then was out that amount when the money order came back as fake.

This is one of the oldest scams on the net. It was her own stupidity as to why she lost her money.
I'm missing something here. How do you know it's Shawna Foster? And did the above really happen?

George

G-manz35 AKA. George St.Amant MAAC#75084
g-manz35 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
Flyboy76
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX12
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-a View Post
Do a little research and get the facts right.

Shauna Foster is radio announcer in Saskatoon.

She left that part out of her email.
She would have received a (fake) money order for an amount greater than the asking price of her stuff. Then she would have been asked, (and did) to wire the difference back to the original buyer/scammer
they didn't 'drain' her bank account. She wired the difference to the scammer, and then was out that amount when the money order came back as fake.

This is one of the oldest scams on the net. It was her own stupidity as to why she lost her money.

I had someone try this one on me less than a month ago... Selling my son's dirt bike on Kijiji and had a guy contact me from Quebec (at least thats where he said he was from) and pitched the same deal as you listed about using the shipping cost of the bike as the extra money to be added to the MO. When i told him i'd only take cash the e-mails quit coming.

It's getting pretty scary dealing out in the big bad world..... i think i'll crawl back in my little hole now!

And (certain) people should take the message in the manner that it was intended which was a friendly reminder or heads up instead of jumping on the guy for posting!!

Geoff
Old 03-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
dash8
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tim F
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0

Good friend of mine had similiar happen.... Was selling a 2004 Tacoma, listed on autotrader, Kijij, etc... got an email from a guy saying that he was VERY interested, could my friend meet him at a restaurant near potential buyers house, cause pot. buyer had no wheels cause car died... My friend said ok, drove there, got out of car, locked it, , went into restaurant, no one came to meet him after 25 mins went outside and his Tacoma was gone...

There are a few good guys left, but unfortunately, these other F*ckers are ruining it....too bad a handshake does not cut it anymore...my word is my bond...
dash8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy76 View Post
I had someone try this one on me less than a month ago... Selling my son's dirt bike on Kijiji and had a guy contact me from Quebec (at least thats where he said he was from) and pitched the same deal as you listed about using the shipping cost of the bike as the extra money to be added to the MO. When i told him i'd only take cash the e-mails quit coming.

It's getting pretty scary dealing out in the big bad world..... i think i'll crawl back in my little hole now!

And (certain) people should take the message in the manner that it was intended which was a friendly reminder or heads up instead of jumping on the guy for posting!!

Geoff
I concur...... Wingman was only trying to point out the risks, not to get brow beaten!!

Cheers
Curt

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #19
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47

Quote:
... It's getting pretty scary dealing out in the big bad world..... i think i'll crawl back in my little hole now!

Geoff
I've had this conversation before - it has always been a scary world.

If you check your history we have had pirates, muderers and theives throughout time and around the world.

It's just that in the last 60 years or so we thought that we could rise above it all... we were wrong. Couple that with the instant news of today and the 'NEW' scams and we have a lot of horror stories.

Quote:
...And (certain) people should take the message in the manner that it was intended which was a friendly reminder or heads up instead of jumping on the guy for posting!!

Geoff
Geoff is quite right, you shouldn't chastise people for trying to warn their neighbours.

Bottom line - Keep your eyes open and think about what is really going on. There are LOTS of evil people out there.

However; there are also lots of good people - the trick is to be able to figure out which one you are talking too.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Turborix

p.s. I am the perennial paranoid pessimist.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in