Opinions on Tamiya RC cars please - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Opinions on Tamiya RC cars please

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have no issues with honest opinions, everyone has their own. I've owned the TC3, TC4 and TC5R along with about 10 different Tamiya kits. The range that Tamiya has is much wider than any of their competitors. As for price... My TB-03 cost the same as the TC4, the TT-01 was quite a bit cheaper.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Dave Locke

Total Props: 0

tc4 is $149.99 at amain http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Kit-Pre-Built

Sakura Zero S is just over $100 from the HK hobby shops like rcmushroom.

You can pick up a ta-05 or a tb-03 pretty cheap from speedtechrc.com They are a heck of a lot better than a tt-01.

I guess I just don't really like Tamiya. Never have. Back when I was a kid I always drooled over the Kyosho ads. All the Tamiya kits back then looked goofy. Some of that bias has stuck with me, obviously, but I do believe that an RC that has bushings instead of bearings and comes with friction shocks, should not be considered hobby grade.

Last edited by Dave Locke; 05-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
OldSkool
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Tim B.
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

I might have considered the Zero if I knew anything about it before I ordered a car. I heard all the hype afterwards. I might still pick one up this summer just to try it at that price.

I fully agree that it does seem like Tamiya cheaps out on a couple of things with the TT-01e. It should include bearings and a plastic driveshaft...really? Other then that the kit went together really well and looks like a good design. It is very symmetrical front and back. But the kit didn't include tire inserts or tire glue

As for longevity I guess this season of racing will tell.

Last edited by OldSkool; 05-17-2012 at 08:50 AM.
OldSkool is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
OldSkool

LOL the stock motor is so S.......L.........O............W.........even for a beginner to racing like me I would still like some more speed in the straights. I raced a TC4 a couple of weekends ago. It was a decent car and had a decent starter motor. Really similar setup chassis wise between the two. I think for the price the TC4 comes with more right out of the box. But it is roughly $50 more. Although I did see that the 17T brushless HPI E10 RTR is around $225 now.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
1985 kenworth
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: dwayne b
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 15

i find tamiya to be the best so far in my opinion.i prefer to build then get rtr kits,at least you can customize to your specifications and hey its nice to see someone else in the brampton area
1985 kenworth is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
leg0man
RCC Noob

I am: Troy H
Radio of choice:
FlySky GT3B

Great Hobbies just over in Mississauga is a Tamiya dealer, if you're looking for a local source for kits and parts.

Tamiya seems to make more kits for people who are interested in building, and driving RCs around just for fun. A lot of the other manufacturers either concentrate on RTRs (Traxxas, HPI) or stuff really focussed towards racing. Tamiya's cars look great, and they've been in this business a long long time so they must be doing something right.
leg0man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
ClodRestorations
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dan M
Radio of choice:
does not matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
I might have considered the Zero if I knew anything about it before I ordered a car. I heard all the hype afterwards. I might still pick one up this summer just to try it at that price.

I fully agree that it does seem like Tamiya cheaps out on a couple of things with the TT-01e. It should include bearings and a plastic driveshaft...really? Other then that the kit went together really well and looks like a good design. It is very symmetrical front and back. But the kit didn't include tire inserts or tire glue

As for longevity I guess this season of racing will tell.
You can always use shoe goo. Shoe goo works much better if ever you need or wanna replace tires.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #18
OldSkool

So my general review after attempting to race the TT-01e is don't bother. The car needs so many upgrades to even get it around the track with a 27T club motor that it's like spending $100,000 dollars to supe up a smart car. It got no traction even with upgraded spring and a stock car has zero adjustability. You have to pay extra for everything. If you had a lot of extra cash to through around you might be able to make it competitive. Or for the same amount or cheaper you could buy a better car.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #19
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

The TT-01 Type E has adjustable camber and front toe, as well as full bearings. If you're going to be racing it, the TC4 club racer is a far better starting point though.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
OldSkool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The TT-01 Type E has adjustable camber and front toe, as well as full bearings. If you're going to be racing it, the TC4 club racer is a far better starting point though.
Mine didn't come with any of that. I just bought one no adjustability or bearings. I just wanted a good starter car to get around the track and try it out but the TT01e wasn't a good choice.

Tags
electric on road , r/c cars , tamiya

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in