What is the Maximum Height we can fly. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #21
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Re: What is the Maximum Height we can fly.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I don't recall there ever being a collision between a real aircraft and model aircraft. Some close calls surely and I witnessed 2 of those near misses. We have have a pretty good history staying out of the way of the big boys. As Multi rotor becomes more popular that may change.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #22
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

Here's what I see posted by Transport Canada and referencing the Canadian Aviation Regulations:

"CARs Section 602.14 is a general prohibition. It forbids operating an aircraft over a built-up area unless it is operated at an altitude from which it would be possible to land without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface. In any case, that altitude for helicopters is not to be lower than 1000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of 500 feet. In circumstances other than these, the aircraft is not to be operated at a distance of less than 500 feet from a person, vessel, vehicle or structure. CARs Section 602.12 deems a helicopter to be over a built-up area when it is within 500 feet horizontally of that built-up area.

The CARs recognize that certain forms of aerial work necessitate flight at lower altitudes. For flights over built-up areas, CARs Section 602.15 provides two lets. In this case, only the second, SubSection 602.15(2), would allow operations at lower altitudes provided the flight is authorized either under Subpart 603 – Special Aviation Events, or under CARs Section 702.22. While the accident flight was involved in aerial inspection, the flight was being conducted for hire and reward — a commercial operation — in which case it would be bound by the requirements of Part VII of the CARs and not those under Subpart 603."

Link:
http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...5/a08p0125.asp
(Search for 602.14)

(This link is actually a reference to a Transport Canada accident case... but it highlights the regulation)
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:12 PM   #23
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 128

Doesn't matter here in Regina, within city limits, the bylaws state

Prohibited activities
11(1) No person in a park or open space area shall:

(a) ...
(p) use any remote controlled airplane or vehicle;

17(1) Any person who contravenes any provision of this Bylaw is guilty of an offence
punishable on summary conviction by a fine in an amount not exceeding:
(a) two thousand dollars ($2,000) in the case of an individual;

The way our city is gouging dollars from city residents, it wouldn't surprise me to see them start going after this.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #24
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
I don't recall there ever being a collision between a real aircraft and model aircraft.....
It has happened. Lots of debate as to who was at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoZD9pczEVs
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #25
waterfox
RCC Noob

I am: Robbie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

General aviation should be operating above 1000 feet AGL in a built up area and above 500 feet elsewhere / class G airspace (CARS 602.14). So I would imagine you've got to stay out of their way. Probably 400 feet max AGL.
waterfox is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:34 PM   #26
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfox View Post
General aviation should be operating above 1000 feet AGL in a built up area and above 500 feet elsewhere / class G airspace (CARS 602.14). So I would imagine you've got to stay out of their way. Probably 400 feet max AGL.
You are both right and wrong.

Rule 1. We definitely have to stay out of the clouds and out of the way of any full size plane operating at any altitude.

Rule 2. As long as we follow Rule 1 we have no altitude limits (other than being in line-of-sight)

Last edited by Trumpetman; 01-23-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #27
waterfox
RCC Noob

I am: Robbie
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Excellent.

Time to take the motor glider up to 4000 feet.
waterfox is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #28
Helno
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan D

Total Props: 45

Here is the relevant CAR for low altitude flight in manned aircraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canadian Air regulations
(2) Except where conducting a take-off, approach or landing or where permitted under section 602.15, no person shall operate an aircraft

(a) over a built-up area or over an open-air assembly of persons unless the aircraft is operated at an altitude from which, in the event of an emergency necessitating an immediate landing, it would be possible to land the aircraft without creating a hazard to persons or property on the surface, and, in any case, at an altitude that is not lower than

(i) for aeroplanes, 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 2,000 feet from the aeroplane,

(ii) for balloons, 500 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 500 feet from the balloon, or

(iii) for an aircraft other than an aeroplane or a balloon, 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle located within a horizontal distance of 500 feet from the aircraft; and

(b) in circumstances other than those referred to in paragraph (a), at a distance less than 500 feet from any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.
Subpart B is the interesting part for flight outside of built up areas. Most model clubs are outside of built up areas.

What it says is that you must be 500 feet away from any person vessel, vehicle or structure. It does not say you have to be 500 feet above, it says 500 feet away.

So a manned aircraft can fly by 10 feet off the deck if they want to long as they are 500 feet away from you.

Any expectation that manned aircraft are required to remain above 500 feet is just common courtesy and not based on any law. Just like we tend to stay below 400 feet even though not required to by CAR 602.45.
Helno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #29
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfox View Post
Excellent.

Time to take the motor glider up to 4000 feet.
If you can see it (unaided) go for it
Old 01-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #30
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Basically waterfox is right and trumpetman's #2 is wrong, wrong& wrong.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in