Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:19 AM   #1
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Total Props: 0
Cleaning a new (used) engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have recently purchased an engine from a fellow modeler. It needs to be cleaned, mostly on the outside. I am going to take the carb off and clean that along with the backplate. The internals of the engine do not look like they are very dirty but the carb barrel needs to be cleaned for sure.

My question is this, I have used kerosene in the past to clean engines however I was told that it can harm some types of seals. I would like to know if there is a better cleaner that will not pose a risk to any of the engine parts? I did do a search and did not find this topic in the search results.

BTW, no seals (harp, fur or otherwise) were harmed in the cleaning of any engines. lol

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:02 AM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Use hot auto glycol antifreeze (prestone type) and imerse the engine in the heated liquid for several hours. An old crock pot works great for this.
After, brush off any remaining guck, and rinse and oil immediately.

Don't re-use crock-pot for cooking! Unless you want to die.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Ed Smith

Dirty Engines

The crockpot cleaning method is quite common and works very well. However it is not a case of just stewing the whole engine. The engine must be disassembled and all plastic parts removed.

This method will remove most of the baked on material/gum inside and outside the engine. If the engine is not disassembled then the removed dirt will float around in the liquid and in the engine. Need I say more?

Ed S
  Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Thanks Ed, I was a bit rushed and missed that step.
I always disassemble my engines completely for cleaning.
Use an old kitchen sifter or sieve to dunk the small parts.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
Old 12-16-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
If you just want to clean off external crud you can pull the carb and muffler,plug the resultant orifices and throw the whole engine in to stew over night.........the temp does not have to be so hot as to hurt plastic parts and seals nice and warm will do...........
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
The most common method I use to clean the exterior of an engine is simple...

needed: 1 used toothbrush, a little lacquer thinner, a pair of gloves that resist thinners.

Method: dip bristly end of toothbrush into thinner, rub vigorously on dirty engine.

It works 99% of the time to clean normal gunk and crud. Wont hurt any of the normal seals/gaskets at all, would be cautious on YS engines and any exposed rubber however...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:06 PM   #7
Ramz-to-tha-Z

where to get a crock pot..

I use the glycol/crock pot method and it works great. If you are going to use this method, I would go to walmart and look there. I found a crock pot, the cheapest one, for 18$ and it works great. Takes a while to warm up but it does the job. Make sure you get the non-environmentally friendsly antifreeze as I have heard that it works much better (although I cannot verify this as i've never used the environmentally friendly stuff)
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Bryan Mailloux
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Bryan M

Total Props: 2
cleaner

I woould dis-assemble the engine and if really grimmy I would use the anitfreeze method. If it has a little bit of grim I would buy eagle one magwheel cleaner. It is ment for cleaning aluminum parts and works great.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:51 PM   #9
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Ok I have just confiscated my wifes crock pot. I will be sure to mark it with a skull and cross bones...lol. We actually had 2 in the house, I got the crappy one.

I have decided to do a full disassembly and cleaning. Now the next question is what do I oil the newly cleaned engine with? I have these options, Marvel Mystery Oil, Premium Motomaster ATF, or Motomaster Air Tool Oil. Can I use one of the items listed above? Hoping for a reply tonight as I am going to do the cleaning tonight.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I use a combination of the mystery oil and tranny fluid, works great as after-run as well!

Flying Tigers RC Club
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in