Indoor Flying Discuss indoor flying

Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #1531
foamball
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Art L

Total Props: 0
Re: Blue Foamie

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Question............
What hinging method are you using?? Tape or regular hinges... With 1/2", regular hinging might be better????
And, the cutout for the motor, looks like you are using a "Can" style inrunner, brushless
And, why the ply cutouts????....
Looks real interesting and something foamie to fly in windy conditons, OUTDOORS...
foamball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #1532
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gaston B

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamball View Post
Question............
What hinging method are you using?? Tape or regular hinges... With 1/2", regular hinging might be better????
And, the cutout for the motor, looks like you are using a "Can" style inrunner, brushless
And, why the ply cutouts????....
Looks real interesting and something foamie to fly in windy conditons, OUTDOORS...
I'll be posting a list of what you need, plus instructions soon.
Hinges are similar to Robart's hinges, here's the HK link, they are the best type of hinge to use for that application.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8281
The motor is an outrunner, this motor is very powerful for it but you can go smaller.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19618
The plywood plates are for mounting parts, enlarge the previous picture and they are labeled, you'll see where they need to be installed..
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #1533
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Smile Re: Blue Foamie

Gaston, is there a reason the link to your "foamies" website is not shown on your club web site? The FOAMIE in your hands in the basement looks awesome! I'm anxious to see it

I'll call you tomorrow, it's getting late

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #1534
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronljroy View Post
Gaston, is there a reason the link to your "foamies" website is not shown on your club web site? The FOAMIE in your hands in the basement looks awesome! I'm anxious to see it

I'll call you tomorrow, it's getting late
Hi Ron
I'l see what I can do, it's not a bad idea.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #1535
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

We flew the Sbach 342-50 this afternoon for 12 minutes and there was lots of power left, we were doing many power hungry maneuvers, such as hovering and rolling harriers. I'll be posting a list of the recommend parts later on tonight.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #1536
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi everyone
I would like to let you know that I moved the discussion on the 50 inch foamy to a more suited thread since it's an outdoor model. It's now in the electric flying thread under Big Blue Foamie.
Thanks for your patience

Here's the link

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...759#post956759
Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #1537
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Just did my first FPV flight this morning... Why am I posting this here? Because it was simply a quick test and I used my good old Blue Foamie to do it, right in my local park!

Onboard camera with a VERY small 200mW video transmitter (likely a LOT less, it's a stamp size Tx). No head tracking for the poor Blue Foamie, but full immersion AIO googles.

It was totally awesome! I've a real FPV airplane coming up, so I can do Head Tracking, carry more batteries and do longer/farther flight. But I had to come here to say thanks for a great airframe Gaston. This is my first Blue Foamie. I bought two kits then because I was sure it would not last long, but this thing keep going, and going, and going.... (Second kit still in the box!)

I used it to carry some keychain video camera in the past (recording video in flight and watching it after landing) and got awesome videos with it, but this morning was a true FPV flight. I was "onboard" the Blue Floamie while flying it! Totally awesome. Landing are a pain though, will need more practice.

So sorry, somehow, I'm pretty sure I'm the first one to fly a Blue Foamie in full immersion FPV. So had to brag!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FPV.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	154472  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #1538
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Hi Real
This is awesome, thanks for posting, what frequency were you using for the camera, we need more info.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #1539
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Well, that was an experiment more than anything else... The stuff I used was bought for a future ultra-micro FPV airplane. I want two FPV setups. One large airplane (6ft wingspan) which can go long range, and carry at least 6 to 10 amps of battery power to do so (3S). But the stuff I used this morning is for another project, a ultra-micro FPV airplane with Head Tracking but only on one axis (left-right). May quite possibly be your smallest blue foamy (I still use it, and actually, it does has a Eagle A3 flight stabilization system onboard, so that could be a plus). But I may try something even smaller (14 to 16"), or simply fit everything on one of my commercial UM. So, in the end, I want to end up with a very small city park FPV airplane, and large long range system.

So, on my first FPV flight, I use my ultra-light (and low voltage) stuff.

Wide angle camera (can be used on 1S power, or 5Volt from ESC)
Tx is a 200mW 5.8Ghz (1S power only. Works very well for $20)
AIO googles. Expensive, but wow, do I like them. 2.4Ghz AND 5.8Ghz receiver built-in (just swap antenna) and Head Tracking built-in.
Blue Foamie with a real Spektrum receiver (2.4Ghz)

I could have feed the video Tx and camera from the Spektrum receiver unused port (using a couple of diodes to lower voltage to video Tx), but I'm using a 6amp ESC on the airplane and the BEC is probably only 500 Ma... So I simply used a 1S battery to feed the camera and video Tx. That probably also helped a lot, noise wise, because I got great range for such a small video transmitter, particularly flying in the middle of the city where 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz stuff abound!!!

On average, I burned close to 200mah from my 360mah batteries for about 3.5 minutes flight (and a lot of time setting up on the runway). So for my next flights, I'll likely use slightly bigger batteries. Airplane doesn't have any problem carrying the load, but the camera is draggy.

So 2.4Ghz signal going up to control the airplane and 5.8Ghz going down for the video signal.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #1540
gbjets
RCC Pro Contributor

Real
I had quite a bit of problems when I had an FPV with 2.4 for both, the receiver and the camera transmitter, damaged the plane a couple times. It makes a lot of sense to use 5.8. Please keep us posted.
Good job

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in