What's the best position for the Camera? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
VERTOL
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
What's the best position for the Camera?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a Kodak Zi6 mounted on the Left Side Fuselage on the CG of my Electrified Nextar, the Camera is looking sideways and tilted 45 deg down. I mounted it like this so that I can have easy access to the control buttons.

The problem is that the video was almost always showing the ground and seems like it is always turning...makes it dizzying to watch.

Would it be better if it the camera was looking forward and tilted just a tad downwards to show the horizon...anyway I will try this position, but have to make a new mount.

I don't like to mount it looking backwards but I saw some videos that are looking at the tail and it's a lot better than my sideways videos.

Any tips from the experienced aerial videographers?
VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15
Re: What's the best position for the Camera?

Facing forward would work or anyway you want. It depends on the shot you want to achieve. If you face it forward you will get the prop in the video unless you mount it out on the wing. If you do this, you will need some counter weight on the other wing, which adds to the total weight. Another option is to get a pusher style plane, like some of the other guys are using. They seem to be getting some great shots. As for the horizon, you may want to get more of it in your shot. Should be some nice places to shoot in Alberta other then the ground.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

A few of us just bought some Keychain Cams, now on for less than $12 with free shipping. Only extra required is a memory card as you get the USB cable to upload to your PC. Again, at Factory Direct a 4G card is less than $15 and gives nearly an hour of vid. They weigh virtually nothing.

I'm mentioning this as my 5in1 suffered the same problem: access to the buttons when mounted. This one has the buttons on top within easy reach.

Here's a vid taken a few weeks ago. You can check out the quality yourself and decide if it would work for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpdKSwYi1gE

Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
VERTOL
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the reply buffythesaint & cougar429...

I was using the Kodak zi6 bec. I already have it..it's bigger than your keychain or the flycam one but I thought it would take good pics bec it has HD capability.

I will test next weekend w/ a diff. configuration and hopefully post a video sample.

cougar429...your keychain Camera takes good pictures..I'm impressed.

Last edited by VERTOL; 04-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.
VERTOL is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in