Canadian Customs Bummers - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96
Re: Canadian Customs Bummers

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson View Post
Well......I don't bemoan the fact that the government gets it's sales tax. The tax would even be more if you bought at a non-discounted price. What I can't see is why CC charges an $8.50 processing fee that until a short time ago used to be $5.00 and it's their job anyway!! Can you imagine a supermarket checkout person tacking on another $8.50 to the bill for processing your groceries??

MJ
Car dealers do this all the time to the tune of $200 - $300 and call it an 'administration' fee. It is a ripoff and I always refuse to pay it and they always cross it off the bill. That said, most folks pay it without question.

Now, I'm not saying you can refuse to pay the Canada post fee.....

Last edited by reo; 10-03-2011 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
DaveJohansen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dave J
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
A US border guard explained the difference between his job, and his Canadian counterparts:

US Customs - primary role is law enforcement & security.
Canadian Customs - primary role is revenue collection.

If you've ever travelled to the US and back, think about the questions you get asked at either end... suddenly it's all clear!
I travel for work across the border quite a bit, and have been saying this exact thing sfor years. Canada Customs has a tax category in their computer for "missiles", the agent claimed that would be for the military crossing the border. I just looked at him and said okay sure.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #13
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
Now, I'm not saying you can refuse to pat the Canada post fee.....
Of course not. They have "your" parcel on "their" side of the counter.
Try telling them you are not paying the fee LOL
UPS is the same. The dude with the brown suit is holding your box and demanding $60 for brokerage.......

Handling fee.... Brokerage fee......Extortion Fee.... They are all the same

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
maxx
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Max Xu

Total Props: 3

Are there international priority services with guaranteed delivery time? Does CC give priority to such services?

It puzzles me that some of my later arrivals have cleared customs but my indoor planes have not. That's why I am wondering if CC gives different priorities to different parcels.
TECHone EDF Rafale
ARF 50E Extra 260
DualSky Mini Breeze Pro
Skywing MXS
Skywing Extra 300L
Red Eagle Happy
MAAC: 82801
maxx is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
maxx
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
Whenever you get a customs bill you an always fight it. Did you have hobbyking reduce the value for you? I think their standard is 30% but you can choose the value. Customs does have the right to change the value of an item because they know a lot of stuff comes in valued lower.
I find the tax exempt threshold is pretty low in Canada, compared with many other countries. It's something like under $30, although I have received parcels valued at over $100 without being taxed?

Therefore, I think CC has the right to tax me even if it's just $55. The problem is the mysterious conversion. I had chosen Singapore Post on HobbyKing.com, but the parcel was actually handled by Swiss Post. The tracking info does seem to show the parcel travelled to some European places before arriving in Canada. Is that possible?

I suspect CC perhaps thought the declared value was in Swiss Francs, not in US dollars. Because a large portion of the total charge is the $8.50 processing fee, which is not refundable in this case, I can probably only get 2-3 dollars back if I fight the case. It's not worth it.
TECHone EDF Rafale
ARF 50E Extra 260
DualSky Mini Breeze Pro
Skywing MXS
Skywing Extra 300L
Red Eagle Happy
Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
maxx
RCC Junior Contributor

Oh, no, my new DualSky planes are sent back to Hong Kong! They are just foamies. Why?

2011/10/05 11:43 VANCOUVER International item has left Canada
2011/09/12 22:24 MISSISSAUGA International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs
2011/09/09 17:54 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2011/09/07 13:43 International item mailed in origin country
TECHone EDF Rafale
ARF 50E Extra 260
DualSky Mini Breeze Pro
Skywing MXS
Skywing Extra 300L
Red Eagle Happy
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #17

Total Props: 57

Hmmm, thats interesting! Max, are ya there Maxx? Does anyone still have a CAA card so we can bond Maxx out?

Seriously though, what and when does the reciever get notifcation (other than the damn internet) that there is an issue with a international parcel?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #18
maxx
RCC Junior Contributor

I had a virtually identical package (15 DualSky indoor kits) shipped to an Ontario address and it went through the Customs with no problem. I wish I could find out what made the difference.
TECHone EDF Rafale
ARF 50E Extra 260
DualSky Mini Breeze Pro
Skywing MXS
Skywing Extra 300L
Red Eagle Happy
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #19
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
I had a virtually identical package (15 DualSky indoor kits) shipped to an Ontario address and it went through the Customs with no problem. I wish I could find out what made the difference.
Are you a retailer of some kind? I can't think of any reason for a personal shipment to be returned but.... if you're buying 30 of the same thing they'll consider you an importer and the paperwork would be different I believe.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #20
Gofaster
RCC Apprentice

I am: chris
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0

I ordered a Bixer RTF from Hobbyking on sept 23rd... plane has been in costoms for 20 days now. I am really worried, I have a gut feeling I am going to have to fight someone to get my plane

2011/10/05 19:04 MISSISSAUGA International item arrived in Canada and will be reviewed by Customs
2011/10/04 14:09 International item has left the origin country and is en route to Canada
2011/10/03 16:46 International item mailed in origin country
Gofaster is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in