Super Constellation... - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
Looking good Sammy!

Now stop admiring her and get to finishing her. Am I going to see her fly at the Nats?
How did you knew that Jim, thats exactly what i have been doing for last 3-4 days, just admiring at my work so far , Thanks guys for appreciating my work and for encouragement , last night i sort of got back to it by looking at prospects of adding balsa trailing edge to right wing followed by left wing.
As for NATs i will try but no promices, if it gets done by that time all the great but if not then i won't push it either, she will see NATS in 08 then....

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:35 PM   #12
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Re Engine Options

I will be starting on engine necelles in short time, in the beginnin of the project i said i was going to 4x OS 46fx, well as i am buliding i have started to realise that just the weight of these engines will effect wingl oading quite a bit, so now i think 40sz 2 strokes or similar in 4 stokes would be way to go. What are my option if i was to go with 4 strokers?, i know Saito is one brand and RCV is another but what about other brands?, any advice or suggestions...

Currently i have cut outer/onner wing joint ribs out of SIG aircraft 1/8th ply, i will be glueing them shortly, then today i sawed off excess rear spar wood, sanded it smooth to the wing's surface and took out glued on foam credals from under the center wing.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Sammy, a 40 and a 46 are pretty much the same weight. If you are really worried about wing loading, I'd seriously consider 25's. Look at the wing, and place 4 9 or 10 inch props along it. I think it will look really goofy with the size of props you will need to go with.

4 40's will easily haul around a 20lb plane, probably work OK with a 30lb plane.

A 25 will haul around a 3 or 4 lb plane. So it should have lots of power for a 16lb model, and probably be ok for a 20lb, with a bit of reserve. This won't get you to fly vertical, but you shouldn't be doing that.

All that being said, I know what it's like trying to ensure your plane will work right.

If you go with a 4 stroke, your looking at a 56, for a 40 sized equivalent, then your swinging a big prop again.

I don't know your model, and have yet to complete a scratchy, but this is what goes through my head EVERYTIME you talk about your engines. I'm just sharing my thoughts with you. Maybe someone else can justify not listening to my logic. (I may be wrong)

Oh, the fowler flaps I talked to you about have not been made for 10 years. Sorry about that. Good luck Sammy, I hope Santa was good to you.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Sammy,
I would not worry to much on engine size until you are in the finishing stages and no your weight. What I would do is use motor mounts that are compatible with both sizes of engines ie maybe firewall mounts. Then you can install what you need for power.
John
Old 12-30-2006, 09:46 PM   #15
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1
Sammy,
I would not worry to much on engine size until you are in the finishing stages and no your weight. What I would do is use motor mounts that are compatible with both sizes of engines ie maybe firewall mounts. Then you can install what you need for power.
John
Hi John,

Yeah you have preety good point here, but i like to think ahead with a plan what to do when it comes to that stage. I will definately use mounts with dual types of engines types as a good starting point at this time.

This going to be long project as i will be making my own moulds and cowls also for this model as none makes out there for this model!....

Mike,

Yeah Santa was good to me this year by keeping me out of trouble and also by working on this model.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Sammy,
Forgot to mention but make your cowl a little longer to account for the engine that could be the longest. Lot easier to extend a mount than shorten it up Been there done that.
John
Old 12-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #17
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

John,

Plus this will also help with CG to if i am tail heavy then making longer cowls and moving firewall 1/2" forward will help in balancing properly..Good tip, Thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 AM   #18
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Coulden't sleep so started to work on the model, i ended up making right flap bay so far, its turned out preety good except for it got slighly deep at couple pf areas being first time carving on the foam by free hand , i will use specking compound to fill these spots. I will post picture soon.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #19
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Tailplane is attached to the fuselage now.

G morning, i finally got back to building the Connie once again after couple days off. I have cut the H-Stab saddle on the aft fuselage, i did it by hand and it came out preety good for free hand cut. Tailplane is currently sitting nicely on the fuselage. Sorry for off angle in the first picture, its my hand and to the model...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image__029__164.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	21578   Click image for larger version

Name:	image__028__159.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	21579   Click image for larger version

Name:	image__027__826.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	21580  
Old 01-11-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I have been working on Nose gear bay yesterday and today as it wasen't done right before in the build., Good thing about foam is that you can correct your mistake easily then built up structures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image__043__730.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	21581  
Concordefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in