Thunder power 3 cell 22000 mah extreme pack faulty - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Colyn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Colin Munkley
Radio of choice:
Jr 12X mode 1
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 0
Thunder power 3 cell 22000 mah extreme pack faulty

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guy's I bought two of these batteries 2200 mah extreme lipo's for
my new Extreme Flight Extra love the plane!! Anyhow charged both batteries once with my Triton Jnr, both batteries charged without any problems. I flew the plane once on the one pack up until the soft cutoff. Factory default on the Air Boss ESC.... landed the plane still under power, I never flew again. so second flight after my holiday put in the second lipo (fresh charge) flew it again about 4 minute flight only??? Anyway after the second flight I went to charge both batteries...I have two Triton Jnr's...the first battery had 0 volts and would not charge?????? the second pack has had three charges and still only gives about 4 minutes flight times???..any idea's firstly with the flight times and secondly with the failure of the first battery.
I have contacted the selling dealer I'll reserve details of the selling dealer until the outcome of the warranty situation Surley the 2200 mah Extreme should give longer flight times??? Thanks Colin.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Angus
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Angus
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Hi Colyn, I have a small electric sport/3d plane that has the equivalent electric motor to a 30 size glow, I'm drawing about 27 amps on the ground at full throttle. My flight times on my 2200mah TP extreme is only 4 mins, all my 2200mah batteries are about the same.

really what it boils down to is how much power is the motor drawing? if you don't have a "watt" meter see if some you know does, it's a great little device that will give you a lot of unanswered questions.

If your battery has fallen below 9 volts I don't think the balancer will allow a charge through it(safety default), I had this happen to me once and charged the battery through the deans connecter to get a partial charge back into it and then hooked it back to the balancer to finish it off.......just be careful these are LIPO's, stick around for the charge.

hope this is helpful

Angus
Angus is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Carlyle
RCC Contributor

I am: carlyle anderson

You shouldn't rely on the voltage cut off. You need to stop flying at NO LESS than 3.7 volts per cell, yet your voltage cut off is probably 3 volts per cell?

What you really need to do is watch the MAH dump into your batterys. You should NOT exceed 80% of the rated capacity... Therefor, 2200 X.8 = 1760 mah.

I have the exact same TP pack as you, and its well over 100 flight old... Still in perfect condition.

I also have 3 FlightPower 4900 mah 6S 22C packs with WELL OVER 250 flights on each pack, yet all my battery's are still producing the same power they did when they were brand new. I know this, as a friend of mine just got some 5000 mah 6S 25C packs, and I tried one of his... Mine produced the same amount of power.

Watch your lipos!

Car

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
forestcityflyer
RCC Contributor

I am: Terry R

First pack probably got killed from running it down to low.

Second pack is probably fine. On this plane I personally think 2000 is not enough at 3s. I fly an AJ extra (similar size) on 4s 2100 and my timer is set at 6.5 mins. This is with a 13x4. Max amps with that prop is 40 or so. If you're running the 13x6 your amps may be way up and at the edge of what the battery can do.

I'd go with a bigger pack like 3s 3000 or 3700 or up the voltage to 4s.
forestcityflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
Colyn
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Colin Munkley
Radio of choice:
Jr 12X mode 1
# of RCs: 12+

I was relibly informed the Extreme 2200 mah tt pack would be enough??? so it looks as if the flight time I am getting is the norm eh?? So should I up the cutoff voltage so as the soft cutoff comes in sooner??? would coming down on the prop a bit help??.
The supplier has sent me a replacement for the first pack that died so thats pleasing!! I am going to charge the batteries on 1/2 C and then 1 C there after is that a good idea do you think?? I'm going to fire off an e-mail to EF and see waht gthey say?? to be honest I could get away with a bigger pack because the lipo is right forward and its still a little tail heavy, thanks for the comments guy's Colin.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
rcpilotnb
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tim D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba T9CHP super
# of RCs: 11

Colin, once I forgot to unplug my one Helicopter. The voltage was almost zero. I have a Hyperion EOS 5I charger (fantastic charger) does them all, including A123 packs. Anyway, the charger would not charge the LiPo pack because it couldn't reconise the voltage because it was too low.
What does work most of the time under these circumstances is the following. Take an normal NiCd or NiMh charger and hook up your Lipo to it. Use the 9 volt terminals if you have them on the charger, if not use the other terminals (you might have to put a jumper on one set because most work on pairs of batterys) except the 9 volt. The 9v terminals are around 14mA where as the regular ones are around 100mA. This type of charge is very low amperage. Still, do not leave your workshop until the procedure is done. Stop the charge every 5 minutes (give or take 1 or 2) and check the voltage, or if the pack starts to puff or smell sweet. My charger took over once my pack reached 2.65 volts and I finished the charge and balanced them.
If you are going to use electrics, do your self a huge favour Colin and invest in a Watt Meter, around $45-$55 new. These little devices tell you everything that is happening in regards to your DC current in your models, or even to find the best scenario to put together for a model. Amps, Volts, Watts etc....
I hope this is helpful to you. Keep us posted.

Sincerely,
Tim
rcpilotnb is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in