RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:43 PM   #1
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Noticed in Hobby Wholesale

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A Jet Cat P-80 in one of those locked glass display cases....

..no price tag...and I've noticed a Bobcat under construction upstairs, so I'm bettin' it already has an owner.....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Wayne, what would be a nice scale jet that would utilize a 12 lb thrust turbine (Wren 54)? Something not too difficult to build but a good second turbine model after the AV8R? just wondering!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
The P-80 is slated for a BVM F-86 which is under construction. The owner is Lyndon Kendrick who also ownes Hobby Wholesale. I don't know exactly what he has planned for it. He likely will sell it if he gets the right price.
I own the Bob Cat XL which you saw. It will also get a P-80 and has just and has just been painted white and is waiting for trim colors. Hope to be flying it by April. It will take me awhile to do the trim. I have attached a picture of it in its present condition. The weight is 13 1/4 lbs. with engine but nothing else installed. Hope to be under 20 lbs. ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bvmbobcat_015.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	473  
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Wayne, what would be a nice scale jet that would utilize a 12 lb thrust turbine (Wren 54)?
Boy, that is quite a question!! Bearing in mind that I have never built a scale jet (yet)... where I would look would be Skymaster Jets, Jet Hanger hobbies, and the BVM F-86. There is also a nice little Rafael that Jaime Cortez from California flies..I don't know the make, but I know that Dean W. knows. (edited) OOPS...he has a RAM 1000 in it, but it looks small enough for a small turbine..

If you are into scratch building, Kerry Sterner has plans for a 1/6 scale Vampire that would work with a 12 pounder. Once I get my workshop furnished, I plan on building the bigger 1/5 scale Vamp. That is going to be a long term project.....

What I would really like to see is a kit or plans for a Tutor. The Snowbird one that the fella from Kansas built is a real beaut!!!!!!!

This is by no means a comprehensive list, and I'm sure the more experienced (and prolific) guys can suggest more.....

Old 01-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #5
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Youngguy.....are you going to fly it at Tofield ??

Old 01-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
Youngguy
RCC Contributor

I am: Bruce B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12Z & 18MZ

Total Props: 4
Thats the plan. There are no other fields around, other than Pigeon Lake, that can accommodate jets or have overfly areas that I consider to be safe enough. I don't want to hurt some one while playing with my toys.

By the way, the Tofield group is hoping to have a Fly In some time in July. They are hoping to attract a number of jets as well as other types of models. They have the suport of the town as well as help from them and other service organizations in the area. The airport will be shut down for the two day event. Can't tell you to much more as the whole thing is in the prleminary planning stages.
Youngguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14
Gary

Over the years I have had an opportunity to build and fly an number of SMALLER scale turbine powered models. They have included:
BVM F86 ( 2 )
JHH F86
JHH Cougar
DL Aermacchie
Avonds Rafale
BVM F16

Here is what I discovered ( in some cases the hard way ). You need at least 600 - 700 sq in of wing area otherwise it flys like a brick. BECAUSE by the time all is said ( retracts, engine, pipe, batteries ) expect a weight of around 14 - 16 lbs dry in that size aircraft. Any aircraft over 19lbs dry will likely be a bit heavy for a 12lb thrust engine. My BobCat is around 17 but it has a generous wing area to compensate. Of course the larger wing area will help. I have seen a composite Bandit flown by a RAM 500 at 22 lbs dry - it flew but....

So here is what I would look for ...now this is for a 12 lb thrust engine. Fuel cap..50 oz. That automatically will determine a minimum size requirement of airframe. Look at keeping the weight under 15 lbs dry and look at 700 sqs or more in area. The following are good choices:

Avonds / Aviation Design Rafales ( canards / great slow speed control )
DL Aermacchie
BVM F86
BVM T33
BVM P80
JHH Cougar ( lots of building though )
Venom / Vampire ( BobCat looks like them ? manuf. ???
Trim F86
Yellow Skyhawk ( believe it or not nice flyer if converted properly )
Ziroli Panther ( light weight all wood / fantastic flyer ! )

Those are aircraft I have seen that are successful. It is interesting to note that a number of manufacturers from Europe and Asia will be releasing new kits this year based on the smaller turbine engines. I think your choices will become greater. Another note....if you fly off of grass consider the landing gear design and type of gear used by the manufacturer - that can often make or break a good flying model.

Hope some of the above helps

Dean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in