Really Giant Scale Hurricane - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Really Giant Scale Hurricane

I'm moving this to the Giant Scale section, as I think a lot of readers of this section will find this interesting. The Shearwater Aviation Museum has long wanted a Hawker Hurricane to represent the Hurricanes that were stationed here during WW2.

Sadly, the money, and rarity made getting a Hawker Hurricane nigh impossible. Second best bet, getting a replica Hurricane. Even that though, is espensive, in the region of $100,000 for a fibreglass replica, and the wait list, rather long.

So, having built two homebuilt aircraft, including one 36 foot span wood composite, I stepped forward, and discussed the possibility of my heading up a team to build a 1:1 scale, museum quality replica.

As of today, the projects a GO! First, we're ordering the Mick Reeves 1/4.5 Hurricane plans and short kit. That gives us all we need to loft all of the full size drawings and parts. His is the most accurate, and true to the real Hurricane kit avail. I'm going to be tied up with military commitments for the next six weeks, but have free weekends for the last four of that. I'm hoping we'll have the kit and plans in 2-3 weeks, and I'll start lofting work in Mid April. We've got a good list of volunteers from the Shearwater R/C Flyers, so it should be a great team building exercise for all, and result in a really important piece of aviation history for Shearwater.

Sadly, due to insurance issues, etc, we won't be building a flying Hurricane, but it will be built to aircraft specs, and we'll investigate some sort of engine option, for the purpose of airshow, Wing events, etc, where the aircraft could be started and taxi'd into position.

As time goes on, we'll hopefully get a dedicated website, probably through the Shearwater Aviation Museum, so we can provide a very detailed historical report of the entire project, but if people wish to get info via here, I'm all for that!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126
Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Very Cool project! I only have one question: when do you find time to sleep!! LOL

I'm looking forward to updates from the website etc. If I lived out your way I would definitely have joined the team.

Gordon
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
SpaceCowboy
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
FAVOURITE - JR X9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Thumbs up Re: Really Giant Scale Hurricane

Kudos to you and your team !

We will need a build thread on that as well.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

But of course! Hopefully by the time I'm back in two weeks, the 1/4 scale plans and short kit from Mick Reeves will have arrived, and I can start the lofting process. I have to find some really fine cutting blades for the jigsaw, cause a lot of stuff won't fit through my bandsaw!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
IAN GUNN
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

Hey Dave,
Great project idea and will be watching.You mention that TAXI will be only option and will be looking at it.A mini series a few years back out of England called PIECE OF CAKE had a bunch of non flying but taxi capable Spitfires.They were Yamaha motorcycle powered. Might be able to find some info on how it was done.I'll let you know what I find.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Cool. Do they sound like Spits? lol I need that Merlin sound!!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
IAN GUNN
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1

Been looking all night Dave and no luck so far. They had the Spitfire sound dubbed for the show but with a little thought and exhaust work,it might be close.I saw in one of the Brit aviation magazines how they did it with the yamaha engines.Wish I could remember the magazine and the year. Still looking!
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Well got good news this weekend, during the Shearwater Aviation Museum sponsored Hobby show. The Mick Reeves plans and kit for the 1/4.5th scale Hurricane are ordered, and I was able to retrieve some really detailed info from the museum library. By the time I get back from my military course in Greenwood, kit and plans should be in, and I'll be starting the setup in the garage to start the build. First stage will be strongbacks for the horizontal stab, vertical stab, and outboard wing sections, and a long one for the fuse. Tail feathers are quite straight forward, and I've got all the wiring diagrams, and cable runs for the elevator, elevator trim, rudder and rudder trim, etc. I've got the wing spars all figured out as well. The biggest chore will be the fuse. I wasn't originally planning on doing much metal work, but think we'll have to. Fortunately, the entire metal fuse frame was designed without welding, it was all bolted and riveted, and except for the engine mounts, no curves required. What I haven't found yet is the diameter and wall thickness of the metal tubes. Hopefully I can get the info from the Ottawa Aviation Museum, think they've got the closest Hurricane to me. Worst case, I pack a bag, give them a call, and spend a day crawling through their aircraft. So, not long everyone, and I'll start posting some pics!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #9
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

I've read through all the books I acquired, one in particular is like a complete breakdown of every inch of the Hurricane, complete with schematics for electrical, fuel, hydraulic, avionics, control runs, you name it. Very good info. I'm back to Shearwater Friday, and will be ordering all the materials I'll need for setting up the jigs to start the construction, and even if the Reeves kit isn't in, I've already got enough info to start making up a pile of parts, gussets, blocks, spar laminations, etc, so progress of a material sort should be very soon! If anyone on here does have access to a museum with a Hurri, I could sure use the fuselage tube diameters, especially in the cockpit area. That's the only piece of data I still don't have! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
mwavesdave

Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4

Great news, the Mick Reeves Hurricane has arrived, picked it up this morning. I'll add some pics tonight of the kit, and the process of lofting all the full-scale parts will begin. I'll post the whole process, step by step, as time permits, very useful for enlarging plans/kit, i.e. taking a 1/4 scale Cub, and making it 1/2 scale. The parts look great, all laser cut, very nice looking ply. Plans are good too, but of course, no rib/former details, so you need to buy the kit and plans in order to build, smart idea on Mick's part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in