Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 07:32 AM   #11
Mark DiMonte
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mark D

Total Props: 0
Avro Arrow

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys(gals). Great site. I have been on RC Universe and enjoy my time there but it is great that a Canadian site is up. I have scratch built a .45 size Avro Arrow pusher and am working on preparing the plans for print and sale. I can't belive how hard it is to make plans for someone else to build. Anyway, they should be ready to go in a coupple of weeks. The plane took me the better part of three years from cad design to consrtuction, to modification and finally to flight, but now I have a beautiful Avro arrow that flies great. You can e-mail me at marco.dimonte@tcdsb.org for some pics and some video clips of flight.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:10 AM   #12
aubej
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason A.

Total Props: 5
Hey Mark,
Feel free to post them in the gallery. Would love to see your plane.
Jason
aubej is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:04 PM   #13
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8
Indeed!

Pics would be cool! M-U-S-T H-A-V-E P-I-C-S!

Myles

Old 11-09-2002, 09:04 AM   #14
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
G'Day Eh Marty!

The whole thing is the US Govt's fault. It was a CONSPIRACY!

They blackmailed Defenbaker, (The FAKER! as he is known here in Canerder), into cancelling the project! My mother was on the design team, although she did not know it at the time as she was tasked with design one section of the instrument panel only. At the time she did not even know what the aircraft was going to be security was so tight.

It was so bad that she worked in a glass encased room so that security could watch her and make sure she did not sneek any drawings or other material out. As a side bar you have to wonder how good security was? Afterall look at the radical design change that happened to MIG aircraft once the project was scrapped. I think it is too much of a coincident that the company changed from round fuselages and stubby wings to squareed off fuses and almost delta wing planforms in all MIGS starting with the MIG-21!!!

Any way back to the blackmail angle... The good old USA, being the paranoid people that they are, just could not let another country lead them in the aircraft industry so they threatened trade embargos against us if the project was not cancelled. This is quite plausible... Why else would you destroy every scrap of evidence, i.e. the 6 complete aircraft and ALL drawings, tooling and dies that were used to manufacture this beauty!

The British offered to by all 6 built aircraft and all the rest still being built as well as the tooling and parts. If Defenbakers reason for scraping the Arrow was valid he should have jumped at this opportunity. You see the OFFICIAL reason for scrapping was that the project had run over it's budget and that AVRO had spent way too much money so far. If that was the case then surely he would have sold everything to the Brits to recoup some of the costs. The Gov't also stated "The age of the maned fighter has passed... missiles are the future of deffense" and proceeded to by awhole bunch of sh*ty Bomarc missles that the US was trying to unload because they didn't workk worth sh*t! (Boy somebody was right on this thread they have opend up a big can of worms!!! I am all rialled up now!).

Pheeeew! OK I am cauming down now!

There are quite a few good books on the subject. You should read them.

Back to a turbine model! I was just at The Hobby show last night and there was a rather large model of the Arrow entered in the beauty contest and I think it was turbine powered! I could be mistaken though as there were several turbine powered models there including an 8' long CF-104 Starfighter. Anyway the Arrow had a sign on it that said "Come see this model fly at the Bay of Quinte Jet Rally - May 2003".

I sure would like to see more Canadian jets as well. For a time in the late 80's there was a guy inquebec offering a ducted fan verssion of the CL-214 Tutor all dressed up in Snowbirds colours of course! I am also quite partial to the old CF-100 Clunk or Cannuck for you purists. Again their was a picture of someone who had built a ducted fan verssion of one and entered it in the Model Airplane News design consets. It supposedly won third place and there was to be a construction article about it but I never saw one!

Awe sooooo many airplanes is right... whats a boy to do!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:24 PM   #15
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Hey Jim.......

Got a few jets model notes..........someone asked about Pete Doupniks Arrow turbine. After a couple of rotations, it is obvious to Pete that it is too heavy to launch. It was designed for a D/F, not a turb. He has a SkyHawk with a Ram100 that he entered in our model show in Windsor this spring. I'll up ya a photo of it.
On board, I got a CombatModels F15 that has a .46 pusher. I got a CBM Fi6N that is N.I.B. I obtained a "Knights of the Air" F20 Tigershark with a Fibre fuse ( about 7 Feet long from the early 80's) (DF?) that some wood got wet from a basement flood. I got a BoB Parksn F86(.45 Turbax) and Arrow( .40 pusherprop) and just ordered a Mirage from Marcel LaHaie for the 7.5KB with the Turbax1. Got some plans for F105 Starfighter from Bob Holman ( Byrofan).
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:02 AM   #16
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1
Conspiracy Scheme

Forget about the Arrow try Yellow aircraft as the real area 51. Both the CT-114 tutor and the CF-100 Clunk molds were bought by them. I asked them at the last two Toledos about release dates and was told they will never be released. They bought them only so no one else can get them.

I saw the CF-100 at the Hobby show and the only other one made was in Eric Deizenbach's (sp) possesion. Beautiful just starts to describe it. However, as they were single engine the landing gear is a bitch and the ducting was very high loss. I talked to Eric about it and he told me they fly like trainers and would be excellent alternatives to the T-33s, F-80s out there but the building is a nightmare.

I think there should be a deal where if the planes are not released in 2 years they loose the rights without compensation. How about pirating new molds off the remaining models. I would hope someone kept a tutor kit or two around.

More on the Tutor on the Snowbirds topic.

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:24 PM   #17
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10
I'm with you on the Yellow Aircraft conspiracy. If this guy really cared he would sell the molds to another outfit and collect royalty. Of course if he offered me say $250,000 for my stuff I would most likely keep quiet.
RC_MAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:09 PM   #18
Madman
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen M

Total Props: 1
Yellow Peril (tounge very firmly in cheek)

I think that is it. I doubt he pays $250K but I am sure it is worth while. Unfortunately it hurts the jet community in general. There are guys out there who do work up their planes, but what other treasures are lost? Maybe he is holding out until someone else puts a kit out, then out comes his to kill the competition. Just my opinion.

So who is in for a 1:6th scale CT-114? I think 1/4 to 1/5 is too large.

Stephen
Madman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:13 PM   #19
Closterman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Martin
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0
Tutor

Just to validate what scaleguy said, it's Martin Lefevbre, from Qu�bec city who have made the Tutor. I don't know if he have the mold again. He also made a Sabre and he goe's in Europe at a scale competition. I think he have score in the firt ten ! !
my 2 cents...
Old 12-14-2002, 09:42 AM   #20
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
My Avro Arrow Project

Hi Guys,
Just read about this site in the MAAC mag so thought I'd check it out. Saw this post about the Avro Arrow and thought I'd throw my two cents into the fire. I am a police officer but I'm also a manufacturer of electric ducted fan jets. But enough about that. I have the plug for a 1/8th Avro Arrow sitting in my garage, it's about 80% done. I stopped building it due to the costs of making the moulds and the limited sales base. It was designed to take two OS. 91's and Ramtec fans. The only item that is slightly out of scale is the size of the intakes and that is only if you measured with calipers.
I haven't worked on it for almost a year now, but hopefully will get at it once again in the spring when the weather warms up.
I'm new on this site, but if someone will advise me how to attach pic's, I'll show ya what I got.
[/img]
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in