Had to replug Tx crystal during flight !! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 07-27-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
east6008
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: wendell h

Total Props: 4
Had to replug Tx crystal during flight !!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Its an FM Hitec Tx on Ch 49. While thermaling high up she stopped answering the helm, desperate, I cycled the Tx switch. Then followed a death spiral. Somewhere, I remembered another Hitec FM Tx I have, that acted up after sitting in the hot sun. Replugging the crystal cured it. So, at about 300 ft above trees, I clawed out the crystal and replugged it. SAVED !
I have since cleaned the pins on the crystal with an emry board, and hope this is the end of the problem, as I cant find a ch 49 crystal for this radio. The disturbing thing is, I condemnded and through out 2 recievers, and I think this was my problem all along. I wonder if Tx crystals go bad?
east6008 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Had to replug Tx crystal during flight !!

Have receiver crystals if need 49 and also 58s. If you upgrade to module based radio Have a 58 TX module.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

Lots of things can go wrong if temps are extreme. Don't forget this stuff isn't built to aviation or mil spec tolerances.

I lost a PC9 a few years ago and traced it to leaving the Tx next to the plane on the starting line for a bit too long. It was the hottest day of the year. Consequently cover the center section of the aircraft and keep the Tx's hidden in their cases till ready for flight.

Cannot come up with any direct reason pulling and reinserting the crystal would make a difference. I can think it would drift with extreme temp changes, but wonder if the simple act of touching it to do this cooled it off enough.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #4
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16

At least you had a save! Some years ago I took off with my Piper Cub and was about fifty feet in the air when something hit my right foot. I glanced down and saw the Tx battery pack beside my toes. OOOPS!

Oxidation on the crystal pins and in the socket can add up to high resistance and the crystal is no longer getting sufficient voltage to cause it to oscillate. Hence Tx stops sending a signal. Unplugging and re-inserting cleans enough of the oxidation of so connection is remade.

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
FD av8r
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Daryll F
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 9

I think a situation like that would scare me enough to scrap the radio. I was a very late convert to 2.4 but honestly I got a lot of great years out of my 72mhz gear so it was time. Lets face it modern electronics are amazing compared to the early stuff but sometimes they just fail. If it happens again it could be the end of a nice glider/plane. Just my .02 but consider how unnerving it is flying with gear you don't have complete faith in.

Daryll
Old 07-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9

Total Props: 7

What receiver were you using. Possible to have maxed out range of it and when it spiralled down it then hit range?
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6

Total Props: 136

Never heard of maxing out distance on 72 MHz before ,as loss of sight usually happens. Of course ,providing that there is no interference from other radios on the same channel or things like that.
Have never heard of crystals going "bad" but they can be damaged from shock such as being dropped or in crashes.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in