Guidelines/Instructions for Flight Instructors - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #1
JKovats
RCC Master Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 20
Guidelines/Instructions for Flight Instructors

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys. Here's your chance to get everything off your chest and I am going to use it in a positive way.

As you all know, MAAC has no guidelines or instructions for people in clubs to teach the hobby to new people. There are no instructions for instructors, no standard, no guidelines. A few of us in our club are in the process of putting together some written gudelines. Every one of us had an instructor and have our opinions.

So, from guys who are instructors and everyone else too, what did you learn in your wings program that you felt helped, what do you wish you learned, and what do you feel is important to pass on.

We have an open mind on this. Some of us think it's real important to teach guys setups, balance, safety, basics etc. We had one guy who went overboard and used to teach "reynolds numbers" etc, but who really cares? I mean we want to know how people feel about getting a 6 of 10 on a loop is important at this stage of development, as making a final approach. Maybe everybody feels they are equally important.

With the current insurance and liability issues that are on the horizon, we feel a written standard is necessarry and intend to develop "sign off sheets" for both the instructors and the students, so that everyone has verified in writing what has or hasn't been covered, pror to the testing for wings. As long as people are taught right, they have their own opportunity to develop bad habits after the fact.

Thanks for the input.

aka Johnny Versatile

MAAC 65460

Hespeler Model Aviators Inc.
Cambridge Float Flyers

I don't have the answers, but I have a personal relationship with the Guy that does.
JKovats is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
InvertedMike
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael K
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
The lack of standards has always been a concern with me also.
I wrote a training plan last year to address this in order to aid both new student flyers and new instructors at our club. It is included in the club's member's handbook with the club rules and procedures.
http://www.brcfi.com/lessons.htm

Mike
Old 08-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
HangmaN
RCC Apprentice

I am: Scott C

Re: Guidelines/Instructions for Flight Instructors

So, from guys who are instructors and everyone else too, what did you learn in your wings program that you felt helped..

I would say to best things i learned of all the things they tought me..

#1 Don't do anything that could put others into harms way.
#2 Don't do anything to harm your self..
(i know over simplified)

I realize that person who is properly trained will devlop better habbits. As far as developing bad habbits later how will this help the future for insurance?

I don't know about you but i have run into some really horrible drivers and according to the M.O.T. they where all given the same test and the same standards to pass but you would not know it.

That looks like a really good and still simple guide Mike..

Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
craigk
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Craig K
Radio of choice:
Spectrum NX10
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 10
Instruction

We stole anything we could find, on the net and elsewhere.

Things that work:

1 - pairing the student to an instructor - and paying attention to the odd instance of incompatibility

2- use of a training checklist that covers everything from basic construction, installation, through to the requirements to pass the flight test

3- a schedule for training is helpful, but shouldn't be etched in stone; life happens.

4- we use two instructors to observe the student's check flight. The student must pass muster with these two before earning his wings, and they must agree or it's back to the classroom
MAAC #9467L IMAC 3706
craigk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Instructor's Program

Hi John,

The KWFD (Kitchener Waterloo Flying Dutchemen) were thinking along the same lines as far as an instructor training program goes, and we have a great chief flying instructor who works hard on any project he takes on. If you are interested, I can put you in touch and you could talk it over. Please send me a PM with your thoughts.

Or, perhaps you could have interested parties meet at the KWFD Scale Rally, the second weekend in Sept., many people will be attending and it may be an ideal time to set up such a meeting to kick off your project. If you would like to put a meeting together at the Rally, I think I could reserve a meeting place for Friday evening. Again, let me know your thoughts.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller, MAAC 6166-L
Pres. KWFD
Scale Rally dates - Sept. 9-10
Camping, Trailers, RV's some come as early as Wed.
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

Re: Guidelines/Instructions for Flight Instructors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKovats
With the current insurance and liability issues that are on the horizon, we feel a written standard is necessarry and intend to develop "sign off sheets" for both the instructors and the students, so that everyone has verified in writing what has or hasn't been covered, pror to the testing for wings. As long as people are taught right, they have their own opportunity to develop bad habits after the fact.

Thanks for the input.
Training is done by volunteers. I think you should re-think your position about putting things in writting or thinking that standards might be required. You would just be adding to the beauacracy of a paper war. Not necessarily for the good of the hobbyist, but would certainly be used against you by the insurance company if hauled into court. On the liability side I would probably consider opting out of showing anyone, anything at all, ever again, if anykind of sign-off sheet or written document was required. I would be totally against that for fear of reprocussion.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
So, the MAAC flight training course is unsuitable?

It also has a logbook in the back.

training course

training guide

wings program

I found it quite thorough we use a simplified form at our club.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #8
Mike Emilio
RCC Pro Contributor

All those nice things are guides only. The chief flight instructor usually has control of the final decisions. Start wanting too much with signatures and you'll probably see a decline in people willing to help others learn to fly.
Mike Emilio is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: robert j

Total Props: 16
complicated to be a toy plane pilot
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
propnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksman
complicated to be a toy plane pilot
If you're trying to stir the pot you shouldn't be quite so obvious.
propnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in