fuzzled
RCC Contributor

I am: dustin.b
Radio of choice:
none
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
question about paint for rc's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
well as most of you know i have a tamiya big wig, the old owner messed up the buddy, wrong blue, used silver for where paint chiped off and coated the inside with purple, not only is the body heavyier then it should be it looks preety bad, is there a way i can remove the paint with out damaging the body. there are 4 colors so im figuring anywhere from 4-10 coats of paint on it. also the silver and purple are spary paint for metal or wood. if there isnt a way could i paint on the out side of the body?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Re: question about paint for rc's

You can try to sand it out, or use brake fluid it remove it (yes, full scale car brake fluid). You can paint it on the outside, but it'll chip off easier.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Be very careful with the brake fluid, I'd suggest diluting it if you're going to try it as it will eat away the plastic and leave it cloudy if you leave it on too long.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
fuzzled
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
none

well sanding dont work, it scapes the shell no matter how carful i am. i may tri brake fluid, thank fully i have a auto shop at my school, how long should i leave it for, it is alot of paint.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Do it by layers, don't try to get it all off at once. In the end you'd probably be better off just buying a new body if you can.

From what I can find out, the bigwig was a redesign of the boomerang which also shared certain parts with the hotshot/supershot. The boomerang is also hard to find parts for but... the hotshot I believe was rereleased recently so the body shouldn't be hard to find. It won't look the same of course but it would be new and you can paint it however you like. Because they aren't exactly the same you might have to make some small adjustments when you cut the body out.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
fuzzled
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
none

well i try that but tommorow ill try the brake fluid thing.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

What grit of sandpaper are you using? One thing to keep in mind is that once you paint it again the minor scuffs will disappear. I scuff all my bodies with 800-1500 grit paper on purpose before painting (after windows are masked) so the paint will stick better and you can't see it at all once painted.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
fuzzled
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
none

well it is a very fine grit, but because there is so much paint it dosnt seem to work, like i said, theres a auto shop at my school ill probley try the brake fluid first.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

Sounds good! Just remember that minor scuffs or cloudiness won't show after painting.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
fuzzled
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
none

well thanks for helping you guys. i bought a new motor for it today, venom fireball 19D. now i have to wait till my battieries charge tonight before i can test it tommorow, hopefully its fixxed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in