Best "quadcopter" to haul GoPro - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
RedMist
RCC Noob

I am: Scott L
Radio of choice:
cars
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Best "quadcopter" to haul GoPro

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I saw a vid on YouTube filmed with a GoPro and a "quadcopter". I thought it would be a great way to film my son's BMX racing.
What is a good setup for this purpose?
Thanks for any replies.
RedMist is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Best "quadcopter" to haul GoPro

In order to get any significant length of time in the air you'll need a larger quad but before you start any purchasing ensure that you've got yourself covered for insurance and the permission of the bmx track owners. While quads are probably the easiest to fly you'll probably need to fpv in order to get any usable footage as without it you'll have no real idea what the camera is pointing at unless you just want a high overview of the entire track.

Lots of research to do and good luck.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
RedMist
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
cars

Excuse my noobness, but what is FPV?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
Excuse my noobness, but what is FPV?
First person view. Basically, you wear video goggles so that you can fly in first person and you'd be capturing exactly what you see.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
RedMist
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
cars

I've been doing some research and the stuff you can get is pretty amazing, like swiveling arms and flight info display. The FPV is a good idea.
I'm thinking more shadetree mechanic and less George Lucas.
Where is the best hobby shop in Ontario?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Mark L @ FL

RedMist - It is easy to get overwhelmed with all the possibilities of FPV, video, etc with multirotors. There are endless options and choices on all aspects from flight controllers, motors, fpv gear, gimbals, etc. I would suggest start slow and simple. Learn the basics before going into the deep end. The more layers you add the more complex it can become.

A lot of the videos you see on Youtube are done by great pilots with lots of experience. They didn't just start that way day one. It certainly is a great hobby that anyone can enjoy but just need to set expectations to a realistic level and grown and learn.

Have you flown RC before? What sort of existing gear do you have - radios, chargers, lipos, etc?

Are you looking for an ARF setup or something more hands on?

Do you like to tinker with software settings, firmware, and tuning or rather just get in the air and fly?
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #7
RedMist
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
cars

I have limited experience with some indoor copters I've had, so something durable would be nice lol.
I'm looking for something ready to fly, but easy to repair. I'm good with my hands, but I'm not really interested in scratch building.
I've heard the quads are easy to fly and after seeing the GoPro vids, I have to have one.
I understand that these things take practice, but I'm sure I can figure it out.
Thanks again for all the replies, I appreciate the direction.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Mark L @ FL

Do you currently have a transmitter or any lipos, charger, etc? Just wondering what you might already have that might be usable.

If your starting from scratch I'd recommend grabbing a Blade mQX RTF package. Great to learn on without a big investment.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
RedMist
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
cars

I have nothing. So I'm starting from scratch. I'll check out the Blade, thanx.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Mark L @ FL

Ok starting from scratch means you'll need all the core gear to start:
- Transmitter
- Charger
- Lipos

With all those items everyone has different opinions on what is best. A lot comes down to personal preference and budget.

With the mQX it is just a basic "gamepad" style transmitter but for the price is a good first step to see if you even enjoy quads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in