The never ending engine thread, East-West - Page 1077 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #10761
super08
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Doug M.
Radio of choice:
12Z
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 8
Re: The never ending engine thread, East-West

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Got to agree with that 100% Jeff.

As for my DLE35 I found the problem and it wasn't the ignition or the IBEC. It was the carb after all. It ceases to amaze me that no matter how long you have worked on these motors there is always something to throw you a curve. I ran it up first to confirm the problem was in fact active in case it was a heat related issue. As soon as I started it the problem was active. It would start to take some throttle but wouldn't. The throttle linkage was moving as it should as was the arm on the carb. The high mixture had zero effect and the low had little effect and if taken to extremes would eventually kill the engine.
So the first thing I did was bypass the IBEC and that did not fix the problem. Next up I hooked up an ignition I had from a DLE30 that I knew was good. Still the same problem. OK great I know the carb is the problem. I had already blown out the jets with fuel and knew they were clear. Hmmm, could it be on the pump side where I have a blockage? I decided to pull the carb. Before I can do that I need to remove the linkage and fuel line. First up was the linkage. Started to remove the bolt that holds the ball link to the arm on the carb and suddenly the arm moves sideways when I push on it. What the heck? I look and the factory screw that holds on the factory arm is loose. It had backed off just enough to allow the arm to slip off the flat spot that allows it to rotate the butterfly. Wicked, sometimes the simplest things can be the hardest to spot.
I got some red loctite to put on it, hooked the IBEC and ignition back up and it runs perfect again.

ThunderBolt R/C
super08 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #10762
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Could have been worse Doug. You could have lost that screw! Then your playin' rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul.

Hey at least I didn't say ya had a screw loose!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #10763
bradleyban
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad B
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FG Super
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by super08 View Post
Got to agree with that 100% Jeff.

As for my DLE35 I found the problem and it wasn't the ignition or the IBEC. It was the carb after all. It ceases to amaze me that no matter how long you have worked on these motors there is always something to throw you a curve. I ran it up first to confirm the problem was in fact active in case it was a heat related issue. As soon as I started it the problem was active. It would start to take some throttle but wouldn't. The throttle linkage was moving as it should as was the arm on the carb. The high mixture had zero effect and the low had little effect and if taken to extremes would eventually kill the engine.
So the first thing I did was bypass the IBEC and that did not fix the problem. Next up I hooked up an ignition I had from a DLE30 that I knew was good. Still the same problem. OK great I know the carb is the problem. I had already blown out the jets with fuel and knew they were clear. Hmmm, could it be on the pump side where I have a blockage? I decided to pull the carb. Before I can do that I need to remove the linkage and fuel line. First up was the linkage. Started to remove the bolt that holds the ball link to the arm on the carb and suddenly the arm moves sideways when I push on it. What the heck? I look and the factory screw that holds on the factory arm is loose. It had backed off just enough to allow the arm to slip off the flat spot that allows it to rotate the butterfly. Wicked, sometimes the simplest things can be the hardest to spot.
I got some red loctite to put on it, hooked the IBEC and ignition back up and it runs perfect again.

And to think you jumped the gun on this one and was all ready to put the chint crusher to it.... tsk tsk tsk

Old 06-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #10764
super08
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
Could have been worse Doug. You could have lost that screw! Then your playin' rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul.

Hey at least I didn't say ya had a screw loose!
No problem loosing a carb screw, I have lots of them. It is the other ones I worry about and you can't tighten them unless you drill a hole in my head.

ThunderBolt R/C
Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #10765
super08
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyban View Post
And to think you jumped the gun on this one and was all ready to put the chint crusher to it.... tsk tsk tsk
Well it was a DLE carb not a Walbro.

ThunderBolt R/C
Old 06-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #10766
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Load the Howitzer!

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 06-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #10767
super08
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Hunter View Post
Load the Howitzer!

-Dale-
Hahahahahha

ThunderBolt R/C
Old 06-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #10768
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62

LOL!!! Jeff... You bit hard on that one, LOL!!

Congrats on finding the problem Doug!

Ran the GP123/Suhkoi today.. 5 flights. Ran the new Falcon 29x10 prop... Quite a bit thicker near the hub than the 29x9. Spun it at an amazing 6640rpm and throttle response is insane. And I can still rip it on command. Insane torque for this motor.

Looks like I'll have to try a 30x10 next... No doubt in my mind it'll eat a 30x10 up and it's still not broken in! My last flight was easily the toughest I've been on that motor with a good 3-4min of near full throttle and not one bit of fade or hickup. Immediate throttle response.

Call it Hype, LOL, but Doug and Jack - you guys don't know what you're missing!!
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #10769
super08
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeBoy View Post
Oh please. How many other engine manufactures provide this kind of service. Most CHINT engine companies will close shop in 2-5yrs and some give parts away like candy for the first few versions. The other big engine names are on the otherside of the pond and you get service when they want to provide it. DA is smart in their service. They make sure the repairs are done to their specs. This prevents the jackasses of the world from going on forums complaining about a crappy engine when they TRY and do the work themselves. Pretty simple to me. If you don't agree with this go over to the FG GP threads and read that crap. Most of these people are the issues with the engines. It funny as he'll to watch.

Yup I bit the bait.
I wish you would have taken a picture of the piston out of the 55 we talked about. None of the DLE, EME, SV, RCGF, you pick the letters of the alphabet engines will last with the open port design of DLE's that everyone copied. There is no support for the bottom of the piston with this design and they will not last once you put some real time on them. The problem has been known about within engine circles for some time. The only one of the eastern engine manufactures that did not go with this design was GP who went with the more expensive to produce tunnel type ports that leave a full cylinder at the bottom of the bore to support the piston. Fergus has had his share of growing pains but at least he didn't copy that poor design.
The only thing the other engines do give is an inexpensive option to enter giant scale gas engines for those that do not have as much disposable funds to drop on a more expensive engine.

ThunderBolt R/C
Old 06-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #10770
super08
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
12Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
LOL!!! Jeff... You bit hard on that one, LOL!!

Congrats on finding the problem Doug!

Call it Hype, LOL, but Doug and Jack - you guys don't know what you're missing!!
I could end up with one yet. Don't forget I had the first 176 in North America. I liked it. The only problem I had was a crankcase gasket that started to leak. Fergus sent me out a new bottom end asap to correct the problem. I seen issues with the 61/123 and thought I would wait it out until the beta testing was complete.

ThunderBolt R/C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in