Duties/brockerage experience when buying online (not in CDN) - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #21
scratchonly

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just received an order fom lone star balsa in texas. Company shipping and handling 8.50 usd. Canada post charges: $13.5 gst & pst, handling fee $8.00cdn. This on a 100 dollar order. this was a large box 48" x 4" x 12". Don't know what a "handling fee"is.
scratchonly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #22
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchonly
Just received an order fom lone star balsa in texas. Company shipping and handling 8.50 usd. Canada post charges: $13.5 gst & pst, handling fee $8.00cdn. This on a 100 dollar order. this was a large box 48" x 4" x 12". Don't know what a "handling fee"is.
The $8.00 is the Brokerage Fee and would be charged if the shipment was valued at $2.00 or $2000.00. Don't laugh at the $2.00 either. I bought an old used copy of Model Airplane News off ebay and expected the guy to just mail it in a plain brown envelope stamped "Printed Material" but no he puts a green Customs Decleration Sticker on it so Canada Post HAS to charge me the GST, PST and the $8.00. I paid $3.00 for the magazine and was charged close to $10.00 by Canada Post for above mentioned charges!

I wass p*ssed at the shipper not CP.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #23
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
I believe the $5 is still valid for some handling fees. $8 is used for some circumstances. Can't remember the "line" right now that determines which is charged.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 AM   #24
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Customs Duties, Taxes and Exemptions

Customs Duties and Taxes

Any item mailed into Canada is potentially subject to duty and/or taxes with few exceptions. Visit the CBSA web site at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/co...al/menu-e.html for more information on mail imports. The CBSA collects provincial sales taxes (PST) on most taxable imports valued at over $20CDN entering Québec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. The CBSA also collects Harmonized Sales Taxes (HST) on most taxable imports entering Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Collection of the PST and HST is done in accordance with the agreements between the CBSA and the provincial governments.

Customers with questions regarding the collection of these taxes should call the CBSA Border Information Service (BIS) line:

* within Canada 1-800- 461-9999
* from outside Canada 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5065 (long distance charges will apply)

A handling fee of $5CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied ($8CDN for EMS items). This fee is in line with the government’s efforts to help recover costs from those who benefit from services, and is similar to arrangements in the United States and other countries.

Mail items containing merchandise enter Canada through CBSA screening centres, are inspected by CBSA Officers and assessed for applicable customs duties, taxes and charges. If duties and/or taxes are owed, items will be delivered along with the E14 Customs Invoice indicating the amount that the addressee must pay before the package can be released to them. Canada Post collects the fees on behalf of the CBSA and accepts the following methods of payment:

* cash
* certified cheque or uncertified business cheque (payable to Canada Post Corporation)
* credit card (Visa, Master card or American Express)
* commercial account

Upon payment and receipt of the item, importers should retain a copy of the E14 Invoice as a receipt for their records.

Mail Items Valued at Less Than $20CDN

The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less. However, this general rule does not apply to certain products including intoxicating beverages, cigars, cigarettes, manufactured tobacco, and publications where the supplier is required to register under the Excise Tax Act. Also, this may not be combined with other exemptions.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #25
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Yes but on small stuff there "usally" to lazy to do the pst paperwork side of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath
Thats the way it used to work here in Ontario when we bought something in the States........ie you paid GST only at the Canadian border........UNTIL some wise guy in Toronto made a deal to have the Feds collect the PST for them at the border so now we pay 14% taxes (there are no duties)
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in