Had my first LIPO "blow up" then burn after 1 year of flying electrics - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 04-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203
Had my first LIPO "blow up" then burn after 1 year of flying electrics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My bad! Flying both 3S and 4S using "fast charge" setting on my B6 type charger, I accidentally charged a 3S pack on the 4S setting. First indication of problems was a loud "pop". Then a second. I looked and the pack was inflated like a balloon (to my surprise)! I quickly unplugged it and took it out to my driveway. Within a minute, it started burning.
Just a heads up for those of you using the B6 style and mixing battery cell counts....
Cheers Eric
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
static80
RCC Apprentice

I am: Myles S

Total Props: 0
Re: Had my first LIPO "blow up" then burn after 1 year of flying electrics

Wow, good to hear that you were within hearing range and caught it that fast. It would be so easy for any of us to forget to check the cell count on the charger if we have a few different packs to charge.
static80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

That's strange that cell count would make the difference, as a balance charger looks at individual cells. Were you referring to the charge C rate?

My Cellpro 4S may now be getting long in the tooth, (except for my recent illuminated display upgrade that makes it far easier to see) but it automatically detects the cell count. I can manually alter it away from the default 1C charge rate, but leave it there for safety. Not in any rush to recharge.

Glad you caught it in time.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
That's strange that cell count would make the difference, as a balance charger looks at individual cells. Were you referring to the charge C rate?

My Cellpro 4S may now be getting long in the tooth, (except for my recent illuminated display upgrade that makes it far easier to see) but it automatically detects the cell count. I can manually alter it away from the default 1C charge rate, but leave it there for safety. Not in any rush to recharge.

Glad you caught it in time.
Me neither 3s batteries are cheap buy lots and keep them charged. That way while you are at the field flying it doesn't matter if it takes a half hr to recharge

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
My bad! Flying both 3S and 4S using "fast charge" setting on my B6 type charger, I accidentally charged a 3S pack on the 4S setting. First indication of problems was a loud "pop". Then a second. I looked and the pack was inflated like a balloon (to my surprise)! I quickly unplugged it and took it out to my driveway. Within a minute, it started burning.
Just a heads up for those of you using the B6 style and mixing battery cell counts....
Cheers Eric
That is an interesting tale. This should not have happened if you were using the balance charge port. Or were you? I'm glad you were nearby to notice something was wrong.

I ALWAYS charge my Lipo's using the balance mode. If you charge in balance mode, it would know right away if there is a mismatch in your selected cells vs the number of cells registered, because the charger will detect and alert you of a mismatch in the cell count. (unless you have a crappy charger) and not begin the charge process.

Also, given the volatility of Lipos, I always force myself to do a sanity check before pressing the "Start" button on the lipo. I double check what the charger displays, and usually say it aloud so that I don't make a mistake ie " Reading 3 Selected 3".

The hazard of Lipo fires should always keep you alert and cautious!!!
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Bob Byrnes
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 1

I am new to the electrics with larger capacity packs , but I think I'll buy a few extra packs and charge at home, that way if I'm charging all the same size packs it is easy to just leave the setting and I never have to charge at the field. I certainly see no reason to charge faster than 1C. I had a small pack a few years ago and accidentally drilled a 1/16 hole in it. It puffed up, but didn't burn. I think the danger is overstated, but, we all need to be careful and charge correctly.
Bob Byrnes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203
Smile Re: Had my first LIPO "blow up" then burn after 1 year of flying electrics

As stated, I was using "fast charge" mode not "balance" as I was going through my batteries and wanted to keep flying.
The FAST CHARGE does charge each pack faster but requires more diligence to make sure the proper S setting (cell count/voltage). I finish my day by balancing the packs when I have time.
The B6 chargers are great, but just wanted to show how easily a mistake caused a fire. If the battery is plugged into the balance port and BALANCE is selected this would not have happened. The B6 charger I purchased didn't have instructions and is quite complicated to figure out. For the longest time I would assume the battery was balancing when plugged into the balance port in other settings like CHARGE/FAST CHARGE. This was dead wrong. It will only balance if BALANCE setting is used.
Cheers Eric

PS even charging at 1C with the wrong voltage (higher cell count setting) will result in destruction of your battery if in CHARGE or FAST CHARGE. Only BALANCE setting will detect the actual cell count and alert you of any error.

Last edited by 4stripes; 05-01-2010 at 08:18 AM.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Real Gambler
RCC Contributor

I am: Real D

Total Props: 0

Always good to have a "danger, danger!" reminder every now and then... I have many different capacity of 2S and 3S, so just setting a bad C for the charge could be dangerous. Hearing story like you always make you think twice when you set up the charging current for lipo...

Thank God, nothing serious happened to you... Next time though, keep the fireworks for July 1st
Old 05-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Good reminder...I write in big letters on my batteries the MAH hours to be charged at, and check and double check. Luckily all mine are 3S so I never change that on my charger.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

As more of us are trying electric's - and more Lipos are around you are going to hear of more issues... I for one am glad to hear about the ones that are human error - as they are less likely to make me feel like I am gambling with my safety.

The other thing, is, we always hear about the bad experiences. No one ever posts - "hey, I charged my lipos today and nothing exploded" Serioulsy, you have to remember how many thousands upon thousands of these things are now in use and how few (relatively speaking) accidents occur.

I am more frightened by the ones who say they were due to faulty chargers, bad packs, etc and not from mis-charging, crashes ect.

I am still on the see saw - some days I feel very secure with more and more lipos in my house, and some days I feel like I should move them all out to the storage shed...

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in