UBEC 6V and Lipo to replace NiCad voltage drop - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
rubbie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Christopher P.
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 0
UBEC 6V and Lipo to replace NiCad voltage drop

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My Nicad's have died (or were at end of service life) so I have decided to use a 7.2 volt and higher voltage LiPo batteries as a replacement. I have a UBEC 6 volt 3amp regulator and when I put the digital voltmeter on it the voltage is a smooth 6.2 volts but when I flip the "load" switch on the Hobbico voltmeter the voltage drops down to 5.6 volts and doesn't come back up. why does that happen? and should I be concerned I was hopping to run at a constant 6 volts but under load it drops?

thanks for the help
rubbie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: UBEC 6V and Lipo to replace NiCad voltage drop

What are you using it in? How many servos, what kind... etc.

All batteries see a voltage drop under load but it depends on how big the load.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

robbie, do some more testing - the DVM doesn't really load it at all and the voltage may be around that voltage from a relatively light load up to approaching 3 Amps. The good thing about these is that normally the voltage does not drop out like a tired NiCd or NiMH does and un-bind your receiver - a brown-out!
5,6volts is good I think, same as fresh charged NiCds on light load. BUT having said that, is the UBEC a good quality one?
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
rubbie
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Christopher P.
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 0

Ill get some more info for you guys and post back tonight thanks for helping out I appreciate it. I just thought regardless of the load (up to the limit of the battery) that the UBEC would feed in more voltage to keep it at 6 volts then drop it back down when the load is removed? But now that I type this why would would the UBEC up the voltage as far as it's concerned it's still feeding 6 volts it's just that the electronics are using up the extra voltage right?
rubbie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in