dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gerald B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 5
BEC for Giant scale electric

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anyone use any type of BEC or BEC/battery combo for big electrics?

I want to see what options I have.

Currently my system is as follows:

12s 5000mah flight pack

JR R922 powersafe reciever w/ soft switch
2x 2100mah 2 cell flight pack batts (no regulators or anything)
5x 7955 servos (one per surface)

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Nev
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Nev

Total Props: 3
Re: BEC for Giant scale electric

Look at the CC Pro BEC
http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html
Nev is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Personally myself.... On those big electric setups. I would keep using the seperate radio batteries like you are now.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
OTTERTOK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Edward O
Radio of choice:
JR & Futaba
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0

I'm with Brad. just one less thing to go wrong.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

I'm in the same boat. I'm just getting ready to equip my 72" Aeroworks Yak for electric flight. While down at Toledo I purchased a Hacker 60 series motor and two days ago ordered a Castle Creations (CC) Ice 120 high voltage (I plan to run two five cell LiPos in series). I too wanted to run a BEC off the system to power the receiver and servos, but I'm now leaning towards a separate LiPo batt and reg for the control system. I didn't want to add the extra weight of a control system batt, but it's probably the safest way to go. I e-mailed CC and asked about their BEC, the one that Nev suggested, but I was a bit turned off by the fact that the case is made entirely of plastic. One of my concerns is heat build-up in the BEC, especially if you’re using higher amp draw servos performing under 3D conditions. I just can't see how a plastic case on the BEC is able to dissipate heat as well as a case with aluminum cooling fins. Regardless I, like Dirtdr, am open to suggestions and recommendations.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Hi Peter,
dirtdr's setup looks like he is doing a 30% size plane, while yours is a 25%.
25% is what I call on the bubble of either seperate radio power or BEC.
You can probably go with a BEC and never have to worry about it.
I would definately want a SBEC (switching) BEC. More efficient and less heat.
But if you do go with a seperate receiver battery. A 1200mah 2 cell Lipo and regulator won't add any noticeable weight to a 10S powered 25% plane.
The BEC or regulator cancel each other out for weight. So you are essentialy only looking at the LiPo weight. Only grams in weight.
Or you could put a 2600 LiIon. Less weight than the LiPo and can power the receiver for probably 10 flights easy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Nev
RCC Pro Contributor

I would not class 71" as giant electric. On larger set ups with 5-6 high torque digitals I can see some concern for high current set ups but at the 4-5 servo set up there are lots of guys running CCProBEC with no issues on 4-5 high torque digital servo set ups. Some evem run the. Built in BEC in the CC100 ESC...If you actually connect your gear to something like an eagletree and fly you will most likely find you don't use anything close to the CCBEC rating. I am putting together a 71" slick I will be using 1 x Hyperion life04 pack for RX no reg required 6v straight in. The 2100 pack is 90grams can carry 8amps with ease the plug to the RX can not take that so the batt is the least of the problems. The slick runs 4 servos I doubt they will ever suck more than 4amps. I have the packs don't own a proBEC so I am going to go this route although I have been know to change my mind A LOT. Either way do what you are comfortable doing and go have fun !
Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
Shawnlh
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Shawn
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: -2

I run several 70+" 8S planes, all with hi torque digital servos through out. And I use this http://www.western-robotics.com/herc...BEC_plane.html on every plane I have. Never any issues of any kind. No heat, no fade, nothing. I would use it on a 12S plane in a second. Probably the best BEC on the market as far as I'm concerned!!
Shawnlh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Thanks for your insight. At 1/4 scale, I realise that I'm "on the bubble," not quite in the realm of giant scale, and could go either the UBEC or a separate batt and reg. I'll be using HS 5645s on all surfaces (five servos total) and I've read that a single servo will idle at idle at 480 mAH, but at completely stalled condition will suck up as much as 4.2 amps. So, somewhere between these two extremes lies that actual power consumption during normal operating conditions. Nev, you're right, it would be great to have some sort of telemetry to get actual operating numbers when all of the servos are working together and I suspect that your 4 amp "total" estimate is pretty close.

For now I’ll plan to run the motor on a ten cell system through an ICE 120 HV and I'll power the control system with an 1800 MAh two cell LiPo through a Spectrum reg to six volts. My 50cc Aeroworks Extra is getting an equipment upgrade, so I can scavenge the LiPo and reg from that model – makes for a more painless electric install.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Nev
RCC Pro Contributor

I have 50cc Bipe that I was running :
4 x HS5645MG
3 x HS7955TG
1 x DS821
1 x HS255
All running off an 8AMP regulator to Lipo packs...never had an issue

Just changed this set up to :
4 x HS5645MG
1 x HS7955TG
2 x HS5955TG
1 x HS985MG
1 x IBEC
Will all be driven by two Hyperion life04 2100 packs through two switches into two RX ports.

I am sure that my 71" Slick running 4 x HS5945MG will be just fine off the CCProBEC or the WR BEC...the Western does look like a decent product.

Remember stall torque rating means surface locked in a position of extreme load...probably like a rudder during a knife edge loop...even then I doubt those 5645 servos suck 4.2amps. I will have to hook up my eagletree one day and actually do some tests of my own.

Anyway..good luck your set up will work just fine. Enjoy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in