New to planes! What should I buy first? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #21
Mytmerc83
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster TX16S
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6
Re: New to planes! What should I buy first?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What happens to this SAFE TECH .. if someone flies it until the battery is dead..???

Same thing that happens in all mine and your planes if we fly till the battery goes dead!! Loss of control, and then crash!!
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #22
bigdbc
RCC Contributor

I am: Dean A
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 4

WOW! When did this turn into the Apprentice HATERS thread? I think you "old timers" are being foolish.You learned to fly on balsa planes because you had NO choice. Lets be real here, foam is way more forgiving and easier to fix. I learned to fly on a Apprentice without "SAFE". The Apprentice is a GREAT first plane because it is a stable platform with good slow flight characteristics. As far as the SAFE tech is concerned it has its good and bad points. I think we all would agree that when learning to fly frequent crashing is part of the learning process. Crashing planes is demoralizing and frustrating. Rebuilding foam is fairly easy, rebuilding balsa is NOT. IMHO
bigdbc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:35 PM   #23
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
Oh completely agree. I had one of those little Habu 2 jets, the umx ones. by accident I turned on the Safe in it. I thought I had lost radio contact. I think maybe the only time SAFE would be a good idea is if you lived somewhere out on the prairies, where there were no trees, and there was no one else within 300 miles to be your buddy on a buddy box.
A loud and hearty Amen!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdbc View Post
WOW! When did this turn into the Apprentice HATERS thread? I think you "old timers" are being foolish.You learned to fly on balsa planes because you had NO choice. Lets be real here, foam is way more forgiving and easier to fix. I learned to fly on a Apprentice without "SAFE". The Apprentice is a GREAT first plane because it is a stable platform with good slow flight characteristics. As far as the SAFE tech is concerned it has its good and bad points. I think we all would agree that when learning to fly frequent crashing is part of the learning process. Crashing planes is demoralizing and frustrating. Rebuilding foam is fairly easy, rebuilding balsa is NOT. IMHO
My present flying buddy is on his third summer trying to learn to fly something besides the Apprentice(he has 12 other planes) and he is crashing them ALL! But... he had the Apprentice up again tonight and guess what? He still thinks he knows how to fly!!! He is so dependent on the electronic autopilot that he has trouble controlling a Kadet Senior after 3 years for crying out loud!

For you young bucks who have never flown a "real" trainer made out of real materials, us old timers happen to know that a true trainer is self correcting in all axis WITHOUT a "SAFE" system. It was designed into them! Without the "SAFE" system the Apprentice has absolutely no redeeming features that would make it a good trainer. I know, I have flow Buddy's! It's a fully aerobatic hot rod, your going to have a tough go learning on that without the computer!

Anyway this whole discussion is for nothing as I think we may have seen the last of our new friend.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #24
octagon
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob D
Radio of choice:
DX9
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsparky View Post
My next curious question would be..

What happens to this SAFE TECH .. if someone flies it until the battery is dead..???

Then what ???

Will this so called SAFE TECH dead stick the aircraft to a landing ????

guess they didn't teach that one in apprentice flight school
The motor will quit when the batteries cells reach the cut off voltage, but the receiver will still function, with or without the SAFE enabled.

MAAC 12123
octagon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #25
octagon
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
A loud and hearty Amen!!

My present flying buddy is on his third summer trying to learn to fly something besides the Apprentice(he has 12 other planes) and he is crashing them ALL! But... he had the Apprentice up again tonight and guess what? He still thinks he knows how to fly!!! He is so dependent on the electronic autopilot that he has trouble controlling a Kadet Senior after 3 years for crying out loud!

For you young bucks who have never flown a "real" trainer made out of real materials, us old timers happen to know that a true trainer is self correcting in all axis WITHOUT a "SAFE" system. It was designed into them! Without the "SAFE" system the Apprentice has absolutely no redeeming features that would make it a good trainer. I know, I have flow Buddy's! It's a fully aerobatic hot rod, your going to have a tough go learning on that without the computer!

Anyway this whole discussion is for nothing as I think we may have seen the last of our new friend.
I will agree that being able to fly an Apprentice with the SAFE enabled does not mean you can fly. But I do think you are selling the Apprentice short as a trainer. The basic airframe is remarkably sturdy. The plane is inherently stable. It has wing tips designed to prevent tip stalls. I think it is a very good trainer. My first trainer was a Falcon 56 with a Heathkit home made radio. I took a week off work and did nothing but build that thing. First flight I got someone else to take it up for me. Something went wrong, the wing folded and it came down like a V2 missile. I remember it even broke the venturi off the engine. That was the end of flying for that year, couldn't afford a new plane and there was absolutely nothing left of the Falcon. That would not have happened if I had been able to buy and apprentice. Again, I am no fan of the SAFE technology, turn the thing off, but the Apprentice is a nice flying plane, at least in my opinion.

MAAC 12123
Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #26
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Quote:

Probably due to the fact that most whom replied to this thread turned it into a bunch of discussion about what is better. The OP asked a simple question and a few guys had to turn it into a pi$$ing match, grow up guys and give the OP some straight concise answers instead of puffing out your chests cause you think your way is better than the next guy......

Pretty sad showing IMHO
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #27
coastrc
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Channing
Radio of choice:
JETI DS16
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 9

I did have a control line plane with an .049cox 35 years ago, but I just got "back" into the hobby 4.5years ago because of the advancements in the hobby. Smooth quiet electric power, cheap rtf & easy to fix foam planes,...computer radios & simulators...

Now that I can fly well I don't fly foam at all, except a Twisted Hobbies foam profile plane for backyard/indoor practice & fun.

Otherwise I love flying my 60'' electrics & 30-35% Gassers, & of coarse my heli's

Nothing beats real flying & having people help you but a simulator is a great learning tool, that's how I learned sim & small foam planes.

New member at the club yesterday had an apprentice, asked if I would stand with him as his regular instructor was not there. He got into trouble & just handed me the TX (safe mode off) The plane fly's nice, I would say it's a great trainer. Next time I'll set up a buddy box with him.
coastrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #28
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
I will agree that being able to fly an Apprentice with the SAFE enabled does not mean you can fly. But I do think you are selling the Apprentice short as a trainer. The basic airframe is remarkably sturdy. The plane is inherently stable. It has wing tips designed to prevent tip stalls. I think it is a very good trainer. My first trainer was a Falcon 56 with a Heathkit home made radio. I took a week off work and did nothing but build that thing. First flight I got someone else to take it up for me. Something went wrong, the wing folded and it came down like a V2 missile. I remember it even broke the venturi off the engine. That was the end of flying for that year, couldn't afford a new plane and there was absolutely nothing left of the Falcon. That would not have happened if I had been able to buy and apprentice. Again, I am no fan of the SAFE technology, turn the thing off, but the Apprentice is a nice flying plane, at least in my opinion.
The Falcon 56 was an excellent flying sport plane as is the Apprentice. I wish you were closer to me and I would put the transmitter of a real "beginner's" plane in your hands to try. My issues isn't so much with the Apprentice itself as much as it is with the autopilot it comes with. You could bolt a G62 on your kitchen table, add some control surfaces, a SAFE system and give it to a 6 year old kid and he could fly it.

Does that make it an excellent trainer?

And is he flying it?
Old 10-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #29
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
Probably due to the fact that most whom replied to this thread turned it into a bunch of discussion about what is better. The OP asked a simple question and a few guys had to turn it into a pi$$ing match, grow up guys and give the OP some straight concise answers instead of puffing out your chests cause you think your way is better than the next guy......

Pretty sad showing IMHO
Yes I have to agree with you!

However he has not come back to answer some very basic questions so I think his attention span may have lapsed and he is on to something else.

I hope I'm wrong...
Old 10-03-2016, 04:49 PM   #30
octagon
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX9

Quote:
The Falcon 56 was an excellent flying sport plane as is the Apprentice. I wish you were closer to me and I would put the transmitter of a real "beginner's" plane in your hands to try. My issues isn't so much with the Apprentice itself as much as it is with the autopilot it comes with. You could bolt a G62 on your kitchen table, add some control surfaces, a SAFE system and give it to a 6 year old kid and he could fly it.

Does that make it an excellent trainer?

And is he flying it?
Hey Prairie Dog, I think we both are arguing the same point. Yes the Apprentice airframe is a good trainer, and no, the Safe system is no substitute for actually learning how to fly. What would you consider a real "beginner's " plane? I actually remember building (but never flying) a galloping ghost low wing monoplane. Can't remember the name of it, but my grade 10 drafting teacher gave me the plans. built it but could never afford the radio for it. That would have been about 1967 I think. Looked something like a Spacewalker.

MAAC 12123

Tags
learner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in