Need Your opinion on what plane to design - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Talking Need Your opinion on what plane to design

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Guys,

I am putting this out to you chaps to assist me in deciding what style of plane to design over the winter months. I have a few planes already on the market and am working on several more, but these are primarily EDF aircraft. My buddy, Ted, has suggested a few times in the past, that I should design a dedicated turbine model. Well, here's your chance for suggesting what style of jet model I might look at designing. He did suggested at one point, something BIG like the Boomerang. That style of plane seems to be still popular and is easy to manufacture. If this style is the case, then instead of a sport model, how about a scale model. The FW-226 Flitzer, a Kurt Tank design from WW2 would fit the bill as it is almost a carbon copy design to the Boomer. See the attached pic's.

I've been experimenting with composite wings, for the EDF models. I can manufacture a composite wing in less time than it takes me to make all the parts for a balsa foam core wing, so that route is actually quite attractive to me. SO, if that would be prefered, please include your preference.

Well, that's really it as far as the size goes, I am a one man company, so keep the size suggestions within reason. Also, this will not be a ARF, however, I can see some sub-assembly being done. I wish to keep this model well under $1,000.00 CDN, because a piece of fiberglass is still, just a piece of fiberglass, no matter what shape it's in.

You can either post your comments here or, e-mail me at john@modelsbyjohn.com and it will get forwarded to my laptop. Vacationing in Spain and Switzerland for the month, got lots of time on my hands.

Oh, just for a laugh, Ted and I were "thinking" of doing a 1/4 scale Mig-17C. So I took the plans I had to the graphic people I deal with and had them enlarged. I guess we had too many beers when we had this brain storm. Well, Ted came over and I unveiled the plans, as they rolled out across my work bench, then down the side and across the floor, we both started laughing, the wife came down to see if we had gone over the edge. The length of the fuse with the vertical fin was almost 130 inches with a fuse diameter as big as a telephone pole. Needless to say, we didn't do that project..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW-226 Flitzer.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	55198   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW-226 Flitzer 2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	55199  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: Need Your opinion on what plane to design

If I had my choice or your skills to build, I would do the F3H Demon. Single engine and large wing area. Simplicity at its best.

Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
ken park
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ken Park

Total Props: 7

This Banshee has always had a sweet spot on my list of model I want!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	banshee_1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	55205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Banshee_2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	55206  

Old 07-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dale I

Total Props: 0

Ya know. How about something truely canuckian. The CF-100. I like 1/7th scale. Nobody else is making it. I doubt anybody else is thinking about making it. Not a hugely popular choice for world market but for Canadians, a no-brainer.

Dale
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
CHEVPRO
RCC Contributor

I am: Todd N
Radio of choice:
Dx9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4

I second the widowmaker(cf100)
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

CF 104 Starfighter

You know.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

Thanks guys, from your coments, the earlier jets seem to be your favorites, by the way, they are mine too.

The CF-100, well, I do have the molds for a 1/9th scale Mk-4, which was my favorite of the variants. I purchased the moulds from Gary Strong who spend a couple of years designing the plane. It originally had been powered by a single Dynamax/O.S. 91 and flew pretty good. He did try to convert it to turbine but the tail pipe just didn't work very good and got very hot and melted the fuse. He even tried a twin RAM 500 setup but the wing loading was way too high with all that fuel. I am going to pursue he project using twin 90 mm EDF units. It's too bad as the plane is fully composite and has all of the panel lines, plus it's very scale, if it were only a couple of scale sizes bigger.

The Starfigher isn't exactly popular, only seen a small handful in all the time I've been in the hobby so I don't think it would be a money maker. I am making a EDF version of the Avons F-104 presently as a concept proving project, but that's as far as I'll be taking it, just conversion parts.

There are plenty of Sabres on the market so won't be re-doing what's already been done.

And the Voodoo, I don't think so.

Well, if it's the earlier planes that gets the nod, I'll finish up the Avro CF-105 that I have in the garage, what the heck, the plug for the fuselage is about 80% constructed. The wings will have to be made composite as that's what seems to be most attractive when it comes to kits. Oh, it isn't small either, it's 1/8th scale, and the plans were drawn from a set of original drawings that escape the government when he project got cancelled.

I also had some three views of the Avro Jetliner enlarged, another possible project.

Thanks again, if there are any other comments by anyone else, please feel free with the suggestions. Thanks again

John
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Dig it
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dale I

Ahhh, come on man. What a project it would be for you to make the Canuck a couple sizes larger. It seems you have the perfect model sitting in your garage for taking measurements off. You said yourself, if only it were a couple sizes larger.
PPPPPPPPPPPLease!!!!!!!

Dale
Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
Jeremy300
RCC Contributor

I am: Jeremy L
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
If I had my choice or your skills to build, I would do the F2H Demon. Single engine and large wing area. Simplicity at its best.

The Demon and its variants are the F3H designation. The F2H variants are Banshees. My vote goes for the Demon. Although the Canadians never used it. (the americans would buy it though because of the subject)

Jeremy
Jeremy300 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #10
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

Voodoo or Vampire for 15-20 lb thrust turbine and 100-120mm EDF's gets my vote : )
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in