Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
TrevoR32
RCC Noob

I am: Trevor B
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
New To The Board..Few Jet Q's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hello all, i am fairly new to rc planes and wanted to run jets instead of cars and boats now haha. my question is... i dont think jumping to turbine jets right away is pertinent to my needs... however i think ducted jets are probably a touch slower and probably more efficient for what i need. if all of you with your plethora of knowledge could direct me to some actual locations locally (toronto gta) or really good and reliable sites that would be appreciated. also if anyone can post a range or specific planes and prices that would be great. i know this is a lot to ask however the beginner section was rather thin for this. thank you

Trevor
TrevoR32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Lakota
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Don M

Re: New To The Board..Few Jet Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevoR32 View Post
...i am fairly new to rc planes and wanted to run jets...i think ducted jets are probably a touch slower and probably more efficient for what i need...also if anyone can post a range or specific planes and prices that would be great....

Trevor
I would consider a brushless Parkzone Stryker ($200 or $300, depending if you get transmitter with it), not too bad for learning, many have on it. It is a pusher prop rather than ducted fan. Would cost quite a bit more to buy jet with a fan that has equivalent power. What planes have you flown to date, and have you flown with elevons?
Lakota is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #3

Total Props: 57
Post Re: New To The Board..Few Jet Q's

Here's a very good place to start. There in Quebec and they sell lots of composite EDFs. Thease Jets are capable of 125mph so there not really that much slower than some of the Turbines. Since your new to the whole jet experience, I personaly would start off with the Foam Jets. Still thease are capable of 80-100mph. and much cheaper to replace when you crash. The 'Famaous Hobbies' Rafale is probley the best on the market as for allround handleing and a speed. For that plane you can get it at SN Hobbies. $179.oo shipped.

Hopes this helps Trev.

Trevor(Im a Trevor too

helps if I post the addy:http://icare-rc.com/e_jets.htm

Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13

A stryker or a Multiplex Twister would be a good place to start...

Last edited by Wayne22; 11-19-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Wayne22 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
TrevoR32
RCC Noob

hey thanks for the input guys. essentially i would like to get into a ducted jet model. i tried to research an avro arrow haha but those seem to be only custom. is it better to purchase over the net or are their shops in toronto to grab in person. when i say im green to jets i really am lol. if there are specific linked sites or anything of that nature to aircraft that would be appreciated.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
Lakota
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Don M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
...The 'Famaous Hobbies' Rafale is probley the best on the market as for allround handleing and a speed. For that plane you can get it at SN Hobbies. $179.oo shipped.

Hopes this helps Trev.

Trevor(Im a Trevor too
Not bad performance for the price after watching video of it in an RCgroups thread on that model.
Some wisdom in this post on the Rafale thread worth reading by one of the guys that owns that particular model, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=18
Do let us know what you settle on and how you make out.
Best Wishes,
Don
Lakota is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #7

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but have you flown at ALL before? There are a good number of steps to take before even flying a ducted fan jet (for what it's worth, ducted fan's are no easier than turbines, in many cases they are more difficult).

You need to go through the steps if you want to be successful. I'll elaborate once I know what your flying skill is.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Ramz
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mark Ramsay
Radio of choice:
Anything but Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevoR32 View Post
hey thanks for the input guys. essentially i would like to get into a ducted jet model. i tried to research an avro arrow haha but those seem to be only custom. is it better to purchase over the net or are their shops in toronto to grab in person. when i say im green to jets i really am lol. if there are specific linked sites or anything of that nature to aircraft that would be appreciated.
Hello Trevor. Glad to see you have expressed an interest in RC aviation. You say that you are fairly new to RC planes and I am just curious as to what sort of experience you have with RC planes. Generally speaking, a high performance ducted fan jet is something best suited to somebody with a fair amount of fixed wing experience. In order for us to make a suitable recommendation, we really need to know how much stick time you have and with what aircraft.
Ramz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #9

Here ya go Trev.... brows around here for a while. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Elec...mid_198/tt.htm

This will probley be the last post since this intire post actually belongs in 'Electric Jets' catagory on the main forum page.

Trevor
Old 11-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
TrevoR32
RCC Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGM Guitars View Post
Not trying to sound like a jerk, but have you flown at ALL before? There are a good number of steps to take before even flying a ducted fan jet (for what it's worth, ducted fan's are no easier than turbines, in many cases they are more difficult).

You need to go through the steps if you want to be successful. I'll elaborate once I know what your flying skill is.
very limited with flight perhaps a few times with an electric prop. so probably safe to say more theoretical than practical. i mostly deal with imported cars from japan and regular vehicles, but i wanted to rekindle my previous love of rc..thank you all for your helpful advice. maybe its best just to start with an electric prop plane. i usually like to jump right into complicated stuff and sort it out myself but we shall see. maybe a good highquality intermediate plane is a good place? if anyone owns these or has input please let me know. thanks again fellas

cheers

Trevor
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in