Advice on propping a Fokker DR1, please. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 09-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 16
Re: Advice on propping a Fokker DR1, please.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
inadvertent double post

The older I get, the better I used to be!

Last edited by Dave Holmes; 09-23-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: error
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_027 View Post
HAHA good one Bill! Actually...I would gladly take it back for a full refund...provided it's still on one piece

Has it flown yet Dave?
Yes, unintentionally, but it did fly briefly. I was messing about at the strip with the cowl off, trying to get a feel for taxiing it, and as I was getting near the end of the strip a wind gust came up and it lifted off to about ten feet. It's tail heavy as I mentioned earlier, and I didn't want to chance it, so I cut power and let it settle into the tall weeds. I hope to have some time this week to get back at it and get it ready to go, then wait for a calm day.

I am looking to put a remote glow attachment into it so I don't have to carve a hole in the cowl for the glow igniter to go into.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #23
fliegerfunker
RCC Apprentice

I am: Martin I.

Total Props: 0

Hi Dave,
About 30 years ago I had a Boddington designed 1/6 Sopwith Pup with a similar sized cowl, I was using an OS FSR 40 on a 10X6 prop, 'cause that was "the prop you use on a 40". It weighed 7lb, and flew like a dream. Power enough to loop from level flight i.e. more power than the original. Lots of people were surprised at how well it flew with that 40. While the DrI airframe isn't as benign as the Pup's, I think the power characteristics are legitimately comparable.
Nowadays, I think you are right to be looking at an 11X6. Putting a larger engine in allows a bigger prop, (always a good thing), but it also means a lot more torque, and that can cause problems if you ever pop the throttle open quickly at low speed. Countless of us have done that when things are going bad, only to find them go worse!

Good luck,

Martin, (looking at a 1/3 DrI plan this morning)
fliegerfunker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #24
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

I discovered a brand new 12x4 prop in my stock and am thinking of trying that, just to get as much air as possible flowing over the tail feathers. I agree with you on the business of popping too much throttle at the wrong time! Done that a few times!

I am, indeed, confident my .46Fx is more than enough power to fly it in a scale fashion, and at the suggestion of a very experienced modeller and former air force and commercial pilot, I will add a bit of aileron to rudder mix to help it along, too.

All I have to do is find the time to get my fanny geared up and get it done!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #25
Detroit Dave
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C
# of RCs: 28+

Total Props: 2

Hello Dave.

It's been a couple months, did you ever fly the DR-I??
I have a Sopwith Pup with that big round cowl and the .52 four stroke is turning a 12 x 6 prop. That Pup has a 60 inch span and flies quite scale.
That 12 x 4 prop should have worked. I have an APC 12 x 4 on the .52 four stroke that pulls mt BUSA Taube around.
Something special about the DR-I when it's in the air. It floats like a kite. How about some pictures.
My DR-I has a 60 inch span and has an OS 1.20 in it. Called for a .91 four stroke. The 1.20 was on the shelf so it went into the DR-I. Yep, it's overpowered but it still flies like a dream. It flies way better than it handles on the ground.

Dave
Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

Yes, see the following thread: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...ghlight=fokker

I only have 4 flights on it. The take-offs and landings are tricky. I have come to the conclusion it is best to fly it in a headwind, right down the strip, otherwise you have a really good chance of putting it up on its nose.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #27
Detroit Dave
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Holmes View Post
Yes, see the following thread: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...ghlight=fokker

I only have 4 flights on it. The take-offs and landings are tricky. I have come to the conclusion it is best to fly it in a headwind, right down the strip, otherwise you have a really good chance of putting it up on its nose.
Crosswinds are a real problem with the DR-I. I went through your maiden thread. Glad it went well.
I flew my DR-I for 5 years. Earlier this year, I had another lock out with my DX-7 radio and the plane went in. Wasn't much left but a few spare parts. It was one of the few ARFs in my hangar. I loked it so much that I bought another. Haven't done any more than peek in the box so far, but it will be ready to fly in the spring.
It won't be on the 2.4 radio though. That's the 4th plane I've lost with the new technology. It will be flying on 72 megahertz.
Here it is before it went in.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triplane.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	182650  

Last edited by Detroit Dave; 12-23-2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: correct the poor spelling
Detroit Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Dave View Post
It won't be on the 2.4 radio though. That's the 4th plane I've lost with the new technology. It will be flying on 72 megahertz. Dave
Hmm... Not the first time we've heard that! Lets hope MAAC can preserve those old frequencies for us for a while yet!

I do have one 2.4 G radio given to me by someone who didn't trust it. It's never been flown so perhaps in something I don't care about too much...
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #29
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Hmm... Not the first time we've heard that! Lets hope MAAC can preserve those old frequencies for us for a while yet!

I do have one 2.4 G radio given to me by someone who didn't trust it. It's never been flown so perhaps in something I don't care about too much...
I have eight transmitters on 72Mhz, and umpteen receivers. Not about to change any time soon, except possibly for an indoor flyer like a vapor or some such. I've seen too many cases where the Rx had a brownout and had to reboot in the air. If it takes more than a split second, it is too long.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #30
Detroit Dave
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C

I used 6 volt battery packs on all my planes that went in. I can't accept the broum out as the cause. One of the planes flew on 5 servos. Three were HS-81s and the other two were Futaba 3004s. Nothing to draw much power. The plane took off, was in the air about 15 seconds. I gave it a touch of right rudder and then nothing. The plane made a circle about a half mile in diameter and crashed back on the field. It went through the safety fence from the back side and just made the field. It was in the air for about 3 minutes. For a Mud Duck to make that big of a circuit at a walking pace takes a while. The whole time I was wiggling sticks trying to cut the throttle or get some control. The receiver never reset. The plane would have kept flying except the wind raised one wing. When the wing went up, the plane came down fast on a knife edge.
Now I fly park planes on the Spektrum and anything else gets 72 megahertz.
Here is the Mud Duck that went down. Stuff a foam plane as hard as that one went in and there isn't much left to work with.
The Mud Duck was bad enough, but the DR-I really hurt. When I dumb thumb a plane into the ground, I accept that. My mistake. When the radio lets it go in, it just Pi$$es me off big time.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	md1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	182813   Click image for larger version

Name:	md4.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	182814  

Last edited by Detroit Dave; 12-24-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Detroit Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in