Fokker DVIII 1/6 scale info, weight, wing loading, incidence.. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Aircraft Discuss Scale Aircraft.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

I am: Fernando G
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 0
Fokker DVIII 1/6 scale info, weight, wing loading, incidence..

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello All,

I just wanted to post something about my 56" WS Fokker DVIII 1/6 scale with the purpose to help anybody that ever comes to RCCanada looking for some info. I want to thank this forum, Airdrome RC and Ben Buckle for all the helpful tips. I was very nervous on the maiden flight, but it turned out great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1bgcgB8f74

Allow me to share the info I obtained that is deemed to be ideal regarding INCIDENCE:

0 deg. at the wing compared with the fuselage datum
0 deg. at the axle wing compared to the datum
+2 deg. at the horizontal stabilizer compared to the datum
-2 deg. engine thrust compared to datum
+2 deg. right thrust

my plane ended up and flew at:

+1 deg. at the wing, with wash out with the tips at 0 deg.
+2 deg. at the axle wing
+1 deg. at the horizontal stabilizer
-2 deg. down thrust
+2 deg. right thrust

Having said that, the incidences I ended up with were very good for me and comfortable to fly with,

Now, some more info:

I used a Rossi 45 Nitro engine, way more power than what is recommended, but since my plane ended up with a 7.1 lb weight (no fuel) it was very heavy.

At this point, i worried about the wing loading, given that the Fokker DVIII does not have struts that go from the fuse all the way to the wing tips i feared the wings would collapse in flight or something...

After I did the math, I calculated a 31 oz/sq ft wing loading... I considered the axle wing as a flying surface, so I added its surface to the wing's surface when I performed the calculation. (wing and axle wing area divided by the total weight of the plane) . Mine were 545 sq inches (3.78 sq ft) and 7.2 lbs respectively.

Now, 31 oz/sq ft seems really high, and i think it is for an RC model but the real Fokker DVIII had also a considerable higher wing loading than its brother, the DVII, . I know war birds usually have a 20 to 25 oz/sq ft loading. However, there was no way i could shave weight off my plane, so with lots of fear, I flew it that way.

I have to say, my high wing loading was evident: the Fokker DVIII is not much of a glider, hence i did not even try to put it thru rolls or loops and I always kept my angle of attack low(as you can see on the video). I used the mixer AIL-RUD to compensate for adverse yaw at the very real possibility of tip stalling. Although I never felt it would tip stall, I felt my plane would be more than willing to. For what I read, most Fokker DVIII have this tendency. So be CAREFUL! an online calculator predicted that my plane would stall at 45 km/h, i dont know if its true, but i kept that info in my head the entire flight.

The plane balanced perfectly right at 1/3 of the Mean Aerodynamic Chord (or MAC), or in simple terms, right behind where the 2 frontal struts at each side meet the wing. It would be hard to get this bird nose heavy, but really easy to have it tail heavy. I had to use a lot (yes, lots) of ballast weight right at the nose, glued to the engine mount.

I think this info should be helpful to most Fokker DVIII planes out there. I will attempt pushing my plane more in future flights, but I hope this info comes handy to someone in the future.

Safe flights everyone.

Last edited by Rowarrior; 04-12-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Rowarrior is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Boatcrazy
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Derick

Total Props: 8
Re: Fokker DVIII 1/6 scale info, weight, wing loading, incidence..

Great Video,
I love WW1 planes.
Boatcrazy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Sukhoi 68
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Scott
Radio of choice:
Futaba 16SZ
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 29

Great info! Thanks!

Scott

MAAC 23964
MAAC DZD Alberta, Scale Committee CH
NWSAM Alberta Rep.
Edmonton Radio Control Society (ERCS)

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:55 AM   #4
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

with pleasure!!
Old 04-12-2015, 05:37 AM   #5
jimq26
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: jimq
Radio of choice:
Tactic TTX850
# of RCs: 32

Total Props: 2

Very nicely done!! You should be very proud of your accomplishment.

Not to be critical, but for more scale effect you could eliminate the gloss on the horizontal stab with the use of Krylon Matte Finish clear spray. Just a little finishing trick that makes the WW1 models a little more lifelike.

Thanks for sharing.
jimq26 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Rowarrior
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

thank you Jim!

i hope the info i put helps the next guy as it took me a little bit to get the facts straight myself. About the Krylon tip. thanks! I will look into it great idea!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in