Fuji 43 Electronic Ignition System - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 06-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
p40fan
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dennis T
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum

Total Props: 0
Fuji 43 Electronic Ignition System

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am having a problem with rf interference on just the lower wing ailerons. The rest of the control surfaces seem solid. The A/C is a Great Planes Ultimate Bipe.
The engine runs great and starts easy and throttles up smooth.
Here is what I have worked through so far:
-Shortened all leads.
-new spark plug Champion RCJ6Y as recommended.
-new Hitech 645 mg servos in bottom wing.
-Tightened ground wire to engine frame mount.
-mounted EIS in double foam to lessen vibration.
-disconnected the opto isolator and ran it without it. Didn't help.
-Moved all components to just behing the firewall. Rx is about 10 inches away.Didn't help
There is no metallic insulation on the plug cap or the plug wire on the Fuji module.

I can seem to reduce and sometimes eliminate the interference by pressing on the pickup wires where they enter the EI Module. Does not appear to be any broken wires at that point but I suspect there is a problem somewhere at that point. The module is a sealed unit and does not appear to be serviceable.
What Ignition module would work on this engine. Talked to Paragon rep and he didn't seem to think any they have would work with the Champion plug.
Anyone have any suggestions.
p40fan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
volksman
RCC Master Contributor

I am: robert j

Total Props: 16
Re: Fuji 43 Electronic Ignition System

I had an issue with a bi plane a few yes ago. A price of ALU.in um covering the fire wall was the fix. Never really found out what was the actual cause. I swapped out everything but the aluminum cured.
volksman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
grizak
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★

I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 10

From our experience, the FUJI electronic ignition modules really seem to suffer from RFI problems - we have had many customers with the exact same problem as you - "unexplained" Radio Interference and glitching when running these engines/ignitions.

Really the only true fix is to replace the ignition with another brand - something like an RCEXL - I'm pretty sure the RCJ6Y has a 19mm (or 3/4") hex size (check by measuring it) - so you could use this ignition: http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...oducts_id=1617

But you'll need to re-time the engine (to fire at around 28-30 degrees BTDC) and figure out a way to mount an RCEXL sensor on the engine - you should be able to get something to work with this sensor: http://www.thunderboltrc.com/index.p...oducts_id=1251

You may be able to move some of your electronics around or try to insulate or protect the electronics from the RFI -but there is no guarantee that the changes you make are a permanent fix - RFI is tricky, and in our experience you are best to remove any component that is creating RFI - as it could change or increase at any time.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

http://www.rcextremepower.net/FujiIgnitions.html
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in