Lanier Lazor 3D - Pattern/3D ship - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
3D - Aerobatics Discuss 3D

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
Lanier Lazor 3D - Pattern/3D ship

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I looked at the Twist and decided it would get old and boring fast. I looked at the Funtana and although it is a very popular plane - it is boxy, has some very obvious weakpoints to the airframe structure, and looks like it wouldn't last my interest all that long either.

I really wanted to go with the Goldberg Matrix but I couldn't find one very easily. So, I settled with something very similar. The Lanier Razor 3D.

http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/r...es/razor3d.htm

Here is a good page showing the Razor. The pictures are great. This is the color scheme that I purchased.

http://astro.umsystem.edu/andy/rc/razor/index.htm

I am going to use the Irvine 53 to power this ship. HS-425 and HS-475 servos on 6 volts.

The plane is going together fine. There are some minor issues with it that a "builder" would want to correct as you go along. But overall it is a decent ARF and I hope it flies as well as its good looks. My assessment is that it is a nice plane but the overall quality of the construction is lacking and below expectations for the price. It is a nice decent ARF but for the premium price the quality needs to be alot better than what I am seeing. The quality level of the kit indicates to me the a sticker price of $80 cheaper would be more in line.

Issues noted so far.
- Landing gear plate is an absurd 1/8" lite poor quality ply. I laminated a another 1/8" decent plate to it (clip-board backing actually). With the OEM setup the plate was "working" and cracking just on the workbench during my typical handling. I shudder to think about the first take-off roll or a landing that is anything more than a feather touch.
- The covering is done well but there are some seams that need to be gone over and there is the odd spot on the wing and fuse that need a patch piece put on to ensure all wood is covered.
- The supplied wheels are too small.
- The servo mounting tray in the fuse is weak - lite poor quality ply.
- The supplied engine mounting bolts and blind nuts are absurdly small. Due to the variety of engines that may be used and each modeller's preference for orientation, ARF makers should only mark the engine centers and thrust lines on the firewall and leave the mounting to the builder.
- Glue is used very sparingly. A little too light actually. Go over every joint you can reach with a shot of thin CA and follow with a bead of med or thick CA in the typical high stress areas.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Looking at the pictures I bet your a pattern guy
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Well sort of I guess. I can do most maneuvers on whim and am working towards taking my skills to the next level = (patern / routine flying).

I have fooled around with 3D on some nice brushless foamy setups. I liked it. The electrics boosted my confidence in being able to do some 3D flying given the right plane and setup.

I am hoping to refine my pattern skills and dabble more into the 3D realm with a more capable plane. This Razor or the Matrix fit the description.

I really wanted to get the GoldBerg Matrix but couldn't find one very easilly or reasonable priced so I settled for a Razor. If you look closely - except for the colors and cowl they look like they came from the same workbench.

Test flight should be this saturday, weather permitting.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:37 PM   #4
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Well, the maiden flight was good. Go here for pictures and details.

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=17345
Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I'm glad your happy with the plane and it preforms the way you want. Looking forward to seeing some pics of you hovering on the deck. how is the vertical with the irvine?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

The Irvine is ample power. I've currently got an APC 11x6 on it - cause that is what I had. With the 11x6 the plane is pretty fast. does most aerobatics at 1/3 throttle. Vertical is very authoritative. 3/4 throttle goes straight up until I turn around, with no sign of slowing down.

I will be installing a low pitch prop. Maybe 12x5 but most likely a APC 13x4W. With a bigger low pitch prop hover should be at 1/2 throttle and overall flight sweet. I will experiment.

I am very anxious to get out again, maybe tonight.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I'm running a 12.25 x 3.75 prop on a os 50 on a 4 3/4 lb plane and it verts nicely out of a hover. A 13 x 4 may be worth trying. Buddy of mine was running a 14x4 on a os 50 and it was kind of a dog.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #8
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

Alright! - thanks for the input. I will acquire a 13x4 and try that.

The 12.25 x 3.75 prop -- isn't that the "control-line" prop and what's the difference between it and a normal sport prop. I am assuming APC here.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:35 PM   #9
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I'm actually not sure if it's a control line prop. I't would be funny if it was. The big difference is its a scimitar prop so the leading edge is curved into the trailing edge at the tip. It is close to the best 3d prop for 46 - 50 size planes as far as me and a few other guys are concerned. The downside to large diam. low pitch props is noise. Your engine revs higher so you get a little more omph and the other is that the tip speed is extreme so your plane will be louder than with a higher pitch prop.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:58 PM   #10
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:

OK, so a couple of things after getting to put some time on this airframe. I do not have my new props yet but I have learned a couple of things about this plane anyways.

1) One really weird thing is the opposing wing roll on rudder input. Meaning if you feed in left rudder the plane will roll to the right. At full rudder deflection, the plane will snap in the opposite direction Not sure if that is the wing design or just an effect of shape of the fuselage. Makes knife edge flight very interesting. Caught me off guard and I almost lost the plane on my first knife-edge. Things happened totally opposite of what I was expecting. I should've been higher for the first try, but things were going well so I brought it in for a close pass. I tipped it over and started feeding in rudder. A little more - a little more - FLIP - "what-the...." after a couple of less than graceful "flops" I got it sorted out and flying straight again - thankfully before the ground was able to jump up and smack the plane.

2) LOTS of wing rocking when trying hi-alpha flight. Meaning harriers. I have not been able to harrier this plane yet. It is also pretty hard to hold in a torque-roll. I am fairly certain this is the CG location. I will move it back about 1 inch and try again.

3) The Irvine is really quiet with the supplied muffler setup. The prop almost makes more noise than the engine. We do not have a sound restriction issue here so I pulled the muffler apart and removed the baffle. Boy - that really perked things up. It wasn't much louder, just a different note. I haven't put a tach on it yet but there is noticeably alot more power from the red gem. It had lots before. Now it is just about plain silly. I love it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in