Unionville turbo beaver 1/6 scale questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #1
SDP

Total Props: 0
Unionville turbo beaver 1/6 scale questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys,"Who has built and flown this plane?" "What do you think of it's flying characteristic's?" Also "What size floats would this plane use?"
thanxs,
SDP is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 AM   #2
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

I have the Turbo Beaver NIB, amd I have seen several fly. The guy who taught me how to fly has one on floats and he lets total newbie's fly it, it's that gentle. He says that you could use it to instruct new flyers, it flys like a big trainer. The wood quality of the Unionville kits is awesome and the build is not difficult, but it is an older design and not like the newer SIG and Great Planes kits where it seems all you need to do is add glue, shake the box and out pops a completed airplane! I have built the Unionville 6' Beaver on floats and the 6' Otter. You would want 40 - 44" floats for the big T Beaver, 44" would be exact scale. Don't get the ones from Unionville, they are light but too short and not very scale.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
Bkind
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2
I am currently in the middle of the radial version. The floats are on the plans and also the scale outlines for the floats are also included on the plans. No material is included for floats but if youre into scracth building a set the scale templates are pretty close to right on. As mentioned these are builders kits. not a lot of precut parts, but are a pretty straightforward build and a very easy plane to fly.
Have fun Brian
Bkind is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-19-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
SDP

gentalmen thank you for the information.I'm no stranger to glueing little pieces of wood to make a big pile of wood Once I get started I'll post pictures.

SDP
Old 03-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
Just like Jolli said, It is basically a big scale trianer to fly... Mine is on floats and I use a OS 91 pump on it and it has plentyof power...\
I used Great Planes 60 size floats for mine and as for kit floats go,they are the closest you'll get too scale ones.... If you go to my gallery you can see mine.....
Old 03-20-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
tks1

I built and flew the radial version and was very happy with it.

No floats on mine yet.

tks
tks1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
SDP

What about "Sea Commander Floats?" Has anybody tried these? Quality?They seem a little pricey. Again thanxs to everybodys imput,

SDP
Old 03-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
I have a set of the double fluted Sea Commander floats on the Husky in my pictures... They are great floats, but they are about 2-1/2 times more money than the GP ones... If you have the money to spend on the Sea Commander ones I would get them... They look good, they're fibre glass, and they're ready to mount....
Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #9
DBlackadder
RCC Contributor

I am: Derek Blackadder

Mmmm...the Norseman floats that Unionville supplies plans for are pretty close to scale from what I can see. Odd that the Beaver would be different.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

Their sport floats that you can buy separately and that come with the Norseman kit are not at all scale. On the plans it may show more scale versions that you can scratch build (I'll have to check the kit), but the ones they sell separately are not even close. The floats are very nice for putting a sport kit on the water and are very light.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in