TF P-47 ARF Scale Project. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
flysrcs
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Dave .
Radio of choice:
DX 18

Total Props: 5
Re: TF P-47 ARF Scale Project.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dave,
I ssume you'll be bringing this big iron to our little get together in April 21-12 called "MAIDENFEST"...

Dave W.
flysrcs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

Total Props: 1

D.W.

Thanks for the invite to MAIDENFEST. I cant help but hear heavy metal when I say that. MAIDENFEST.

Its my goal to get out there and see others and learn as Im relatively new to all of this. I cant make any promises but Im not opposed to it. Im away quite a bit however if Im around I will for sure make an effort to get out there.

Cheers.

Dave
Dave Pépin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

Hey Gang,

The sanding of the metal continues. WOW!!! This part sucks but the finish rocks.

An update. GETSTENCILS.COM has provided me with great service over the past weeks. We exchanged emails back and forth and now Im sold that we have the right dimensions.

The stars, bars and Fuse letters will be stencils. The tail number and name NO GUTS NO GLORY will be a dry transfer sheet. I also will obtain a p-47 generic dry tranfer sheet for all the little details such as (no step) etc. words on the aircraft. This may be overkill for this size but we will see.

Photos to follow.

Dave

Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

Hey guys,

Work contiues using steel wool and sanding this metal!!!!! Its a good few hours of work into it now. Im almost done.

The stencils have been ordered. The paint is on standby. So until then the next step will be to make a makeshift paint booth in the basement.

Does anyone know of good spray guns that I can pick up. Let me know.

Cheers.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5183.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	137952  
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9
Ontario Re: TF P-47 ARF Scale Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pépin View Post
Hey guys,

Work contiues using steel wool and sanding this metal!!!!! Its a good few hours of work into it now. Im almost done.

The stencils have been ordered. The paint is on standby. So until then the next step will be to make a makeshift paint booth in the basement.

Does anyone know of good spray guns that I can pick up. Let me know.

Cheers.

Dave
That flight metal stuff is really nice. I have a roll of siver/foil, self adhesive shelf paper that I wanted to experiment with. I have not opened it as yet to see what it feels like or what the material strength is like.

You probebaly need one of the mid range air brushes for the detailed work, I hear the Harbour Freight tools are really good, surprisingly so for a low cost air brush.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...lt?q=air+brush

Are you planning to paint the whole thing a body colour and then distress the paint to allow the silver skin to show through or are you painting on invasion stripes and keeping the body mainly silver?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

Dangaras,

Thanks for the link. Ill look into that.

The model I want to create is NO GUTS NO GLORY. If you look at a page or two in the thread youll see the example.

Overall this will be a bare metal airframe with name, stars and bars, fuse letters and the D-Day invasion stripes.

I really hope this thing doesnt thunder in the first time off the ground cause too many hours went into this.

Dave
Old 02-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

So I got a motivational purchase to keep sanding the jug. Its my dream razorback from Byron. Does anyone know of a radial that would fit this. Usually these fly well with a G-62 but thats no radial. I still have a corsair and a taylorcraft to finish before getting to this. Its my first giant so Im in no hurry to fly it. Shell be done in the SNAFU colours.

Look at the difference
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5188.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	138204  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #28
Dangaras
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: A L
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 9
Ontario Re: TF P-47 ARF Scale Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pépin View Post
Dangaras,

Thanks for the link. Ill look into that.

The model I want to create is NO GUTS NO GLORY. If you look at a page or two in the thread youll see the example.

Overall this will be a bare metal airframe with name, stars and bars, fuse letters and the D-Day invasion stripes.

I really hope this thing doesnt thunder in the first time off the ground cause too many hours went into this.

Dave
I see the example, she's going to look really nice! Maiden day, double check everything then walk away and have someone you trust do an independent once over to make sure..

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #29
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

Wilco!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #30
Dave Pépin
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
SPECTRUM DX8

So after way too many hours of hand scuffing the metal I cant seem to get any closer to (the real thing).

I applied some glass cleaner and paper towel to take off any bits of metal and steel wool left on the plane. This resulted in some of the grey being removed and seeing less of the individual strokes from the steel wool.

I have still to cross scuff some panels to make them pop. From there we will rivet and paint once it comes in.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5193.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	138387  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in