Workshop question: what do you use in your bandsaw? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Total Props: 57
Workshop question: what do you use in your bandsaw?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My bandsaw is probably going to be used 90% for modelling, so I'll be cutting mostly plywood, balsa and foam.

What type of blade should I be using (type -- metal, wood, etc., and number of teeth per inch)?

I've got a scrollsaw but I wonder all over the map and can't cut a straight line if my life depending upon it (thin blade flexes, cut wanders, and I'm using language appropriate to a sailor...)
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Cliff Russell
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cliff R

Total Props: 11
Re: Workshop question: what do you use in your bandsaw?

I totally understand the scrowllsaw thing. It always amazed me when I see a guy at a wood show who can cut out the most intricate things. One thing I have learned is that better is always better with scrollsaws and the heavier the better too. The heavier one reduce vibration almost to zero.
Now as for the band saw I beleive that no one blade is best. All depends upon how tight the turns are and how soft and thick the wood is. If you are resawing (making thinner stock out of thicker stock) the the widest blade is best, number of teeth is usually fairely low especially for hard woods. If you are cutting balsa ribs then use one that will cut the bends comfortable with out twisting the blade and as large a number of teeth as possible. Never used a blade for cutting metal in my band saw so I can not comment.
One other thing I have learned over the years is that the best band saws make the best cuts, I hate the bandsaws with heat blocks for guides, I like the roller type. I have been lucky and was able to get a good quality bandsaw used at a really good price. Do not over look a table belt and disk sander, sure is good to touch up rough edges

Really tho the best teacher is experience. The best thing I ever did was take woodworking in highschool and then a couple of advance courses from our local C College.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

I found a composite blade from Acklands Grainger, 6-10 teeth/inch X 1/2 deep works best for all around bandsaw work. Over the years I have accumulated several blades. Change them for ripping down rough aspen, sitka spruce etc. Treat myself to a new blade when a big project starts (every 2+ yrs now!)
Hope this helps.

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

On my Delta 10" I run a 8 tooth per in. 3/8 wide blade for general purpose.

Last edited by Flypaper; 03-04-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Cliff Russell
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Cliff R

Total Props: 11

A little off topic but here is a very nice site with all kinds of modeling tool articles
http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.html
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
grosbeak
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John R
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8FGS
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Russell View Post
A little off topic but here is a very nice site with all kinds of modeling tool articles
Thanks for the link - there's a lot of useful information there!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

I keep several different blades handy for the bandsaw, depending on what I'm doing. Wider blades for long straight cuts, or notches, and thinner finer scrolling blades for curves. As for the scroll saw, it's all about the quality. A good scroll saw just can't be beat for fine work, inside cuts, and there's a huge variety of blades. Tensioning the blades is important, nah, critical, and practice, practice, practice!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #8

Total Props: 57

"parctice makes prefect" as goes the paraphrase......

BTW, I've been over on the airfieldmodels website, and it's got lots of stuff. Gadgets and gizmos, galore!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Having used band-saws extensively the way I was taught (not just some off-the-cuff instruction, but the official instruction during the tool use class at aviation college) was choose a tooth pitch that allows you to keep the tips of minimum two teeth on the cutting surface at all times. That way your material can't slip into the space between the teeth. Because when the next tooth hits the material that is now too deep into the blade, the tooth can catch and damage the material or the blade. In summary, the thinner the material you are cutting, the finer the tooth pitch. More of a problem with cutting metal but I would still follow the rule for plywood as catching teeth can splinter the plywood. Then pick your speed based on the material type. balsa and foam could go pretty fast but slow it down for plywood so it does not burn. Depending on your saw, you may be able to get blades as narrow as 1/4 inch that are great for making curves. Just be careful with the feed pressure in tight turns to avoid heating the trailing edge of the blade too much and burning the plywood. nice easy pressure will also help keep the tooth catching to a minimum and you can get away with a coarser pitch on thinner materials.
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #10
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Russell View Post
I would be careful about what I read there, as with anybody's site that is just their personal opiniions and the like, take with a grain of salt and search out multiple sources.

On a quick browse for about half a minute I found him recommending sanding or scraping the sharp trailing edge of a prop so you can use your fingers to start a glo-engine. Several things wrong with that advice!!!!!
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in