Spur Gear & Wasp .28 on Savage SS - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
Kitefan
RCC Apprentice

I am: David Guiiiddon
Radio of choice:
high frequency
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Spur Gear & Wasp .28 on Savage SS

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, after finishing the break-in, the motor packs good punch, however now I am toasting spur gears.

I had no problems before with the S-25, & have regularly removed the engine for service. I use thread locker & have meshed spurs many times (on several vehicles).

Do you guys with performance motors tend to ruin plastic spurs? Should I switch to the Robinson Racing Steel spur/bell combo?

Any other opinions?

Thanks
Kitefan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
zoli

I know my buddy with an SH .28 in his, he went to a metal spur after having the same issue. Now he just breaks other things :P
zoli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
imported_PB

What kind of clutch shoes are you running? What kind of clutch bell? When you set the mesh, do you do it by eye? feel? paper? There are lots of things that could be causing it... This came up a couple weeks ago. Basically if you put in the metal gears... you'll transfer that force onto something else. A spur only costs $4... I would figure out why it keeps melting before replacing it. As it may cost you a lot more in the end.

PB

Some things you can try are aluminum shoes with a vented clutch bell. And be sure to keep the gearing reasonable... 17/47 of 17/49.

Even though your motor has more than enough power to spin a 18/47... you'll generate so much heat, you'll cook stuff like shoes or the spur gear.
imported_PB is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
cyclop
RCC Master Contributor

i do run steel combo in my Savage and i really dont see what the problem is about steel gears if you have you're slipper set proplerly you "shouldnt" break anything else !! but i do agree with all responces though ..
Old 06-28-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
Kitefan
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
high frequency

I am running aluminum shoes, and I burnt the spur gear when i used either 51/15 or 49/15.

Also I do my mesh by feel. I have been doing this method for a couple years with no problem. I called HPI & he told me on the more powerfull motors to make the mesh tight almost a bit of binding. The strong power of the motor will 'work in' the spur gear.

Also he thinks something is bent. He said make the spur bind then rotate it. If it goes from sloppy to tight, then something is bent.

I did this & there really isnt that much mesh difference as you rotate the spur.

I put on 49/18 and a bit of binding & tighened the spur nut all the way then backed of 1/4 turn.

We will see.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
4.6 nitro king 420

Talking 52/13 best ever

i had that problem i put a 52 spur and a 13 clutch bell and i also run on the rich side but none the less it still flys and weelies down the street well after a tank and the motor heats up try that and see how u like it tons of tourqe
4.6 nitro king 420 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Kitefan
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
high frequency

Thumbs up

Hey King, sounds good. First I want to stop toasting spurs in 150'.

Then I will gear it for mega torque.......
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in