DHC-2 Beaver - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #1
Cam
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
DHC-2 Beaver

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm interested in building a Beaver (with floats) as a winter project and would like to know anyones thoughts on what manufacturer would best suit me. I am relatively new to rc having built a SIG Kadet last winter to pass the time. I am looking to build a Beaver as I have always been fond of the plane. I am not looking for an ARF, rather a kit to keep me busy. One that would be as close to the looks of the real Beaver as possible as I would paint it up to match a real one (C-FODA). The Unionville Beaver appears to be quite popular, is there any difference in scale appearance between the 6' and the 8' kits? The reason I ask is that I already have a Supertigre .45 engine that would fit the 6'.
Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cam
Cam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
Jollidude
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne J

Personally, I think the 6' Beaver looks better than 8' version. Since you already have an engine to suit the smaller one I'd go for that. The only real problem with the Unionville Beavers is that the fuse corners are too square. If you double up the 1/4" stringers in the rear you can round off the corners more. The wood quality is great and they fly well.

Cheers!

Jollidude
Jollidude is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Cam
RCC Noob

Thanks for your thoughts and tip Jollidude! Not having to buy a larger engine is something I'm keeping in mind. So far as suitable floats, is there a manufacturer that I should be looking at that would have a pair that would match the style on the attached photo? Thanks again.
Cam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c-foda_2_166.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	19713  

Old 10-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
DBlackadder
RCC Contributor

I am: Derek Blackadder

Unionville supplies a float kits as an option for the 2.15m versions of their kits. I would expect they'd do the same for the 1.8 version of the Beaver.

If not it should be fairly easy to scale the larger plans down. And you're going to wind-up having to 'dress' them anyway, no matter what you buy or make,.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
Floats

Foam floats are the easiest to make, but you have to know how to make them... A good wood kit for that model (6' Uni Beaver) would be the Great Planes 40 size sport float kit.. They're pretty good,scale wise,and an easy kit to build... Some people don't like the wood ones but I have had a pair of the 60 size (Great Planes) ones on my 8' beaver for over 7 years now and they don't leak..
Old 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Cam
RCC Noob

Derek,
Thanks for your information on the floats. I called the local hobby shop yesterday and ordered the Unionville 1.8 scale plane. From speaking with the shop owner, he tells me the instructions with the kit are a little bit more complicated for a freshman like myself but offered to assist with any advise if I need it through the build. As well, I may end up posting a few questions on the board here if need be.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
DBlackadder
RCC Contributor

Don't worry much about it. I hadn't built anything in something like 30 years and mine are air-tight and pretty, if a little heavy (this new-fangled cynao stuff...).
Old 10-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
cf-drg
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Darren G
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 28
If you have any problems... Just post some pics with your problem and we can maybe send you in the right direction... I myself have built 5 Unionville kits and they aren't a well instructed kit ... But can be built and are a little more time consuming and funner than the standard "glue 4 sides and its done" kit....
Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
DBlackadder
RCC Contributor

I actually like the way the instructions work. Bit of a challenge and an excuse to sit down with a cigar or a glass of red and spend some time trying to figure out where things are going and what they would look like if you went this way rather than that...

But definitely a fun build.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Cam
RCC Noob

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. I picked up the Beaver last night and went through the instructions. They certainly are a different type of instructions than what comes with a Sig Kadet. Much more thought and planning will go into this, especially as I want it to come out looking as scale as possible right down to the nav. lights. but I'm up for the challenge.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in