Is the wave king poorly designed, or is it the pilot? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
GoNavy
RCC Noob

I am: Thomas R
Radio of choice:
Airtronics
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
Is the wave king poorly designed, or is it the pilot?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I would appreciate the insights of flying boat pilots regarding takeoff problems with my first flying boat.

The aircraft is the Wave King formerly marketed by Horizon Models of Nova Scotia. It has a 72 inch wingspan, a plastic hull, and a Webra 60 blackhead on a pylon above the wing. Each wing has a float about 1/3 of the span from the fuselage.

At rest in the water, the fuselage floats with the water about 3/8" below the line molded into the fuselage. The wing floats are both in the water.

It was only after I added about three degrees of engine up thrust that I was able to get this off the water. In addition, I added significant spray deflectors along the length of the fuselage to try and tame a serious water spray problem which usually killed the engine.

The takeoff run was very long, probably 400 feet, with full up elevator, and required lots of rudder correction. I started in one direction and wound up making two major turns in the process. There is no appreciable transition to step, just a sudden breaking from the water into a near stall condition. Once free of the water and with airspeed, it flys fine.

This plane is built straight and true. The thrust and other lines are per the plans.

As I search the web, I see other flying boat designs and invariably the wing floats are not in the water when the plane is at rest. As I understand things, the wing floats are there to level the aircraft, not to support it at rest. I wonder if my takeoff problems are related to the significant amount of the wing floats in the water.

Is it possible, that a plane performs better off salt water as opposed to fresh?

I don't normally second guess the designer, and I am new to flying off water, but take offs with this are a real bear. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks, GoNavy.
GoNavy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Wayne22
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: wayne b

Total Props: 13
They were only so-so performers at best...perhaps the reason the company is no longer in business.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in