RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Total Props: 0
Quick LiPo Question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've just put a new-to-me electric in the air, and I'm having waaaay too much fun with it. I can't stop flying it whenever the weather is good.

Is it unsafe to cycle LiPos over-and-over in rapid succession? I'm charging at .6A on a 620mAh cheapo 3S pack. The charger is a Triton, and I don't have a balancer. Its on the charger as soon as it is cool from the last flight. Any danger in this?

Thanks!

"I keep planting planes, but they just won't grow!"
benjhind is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Nemesis
RCC Contributor

Re: Quick LiPo Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjhind
I've just put a new-to-me electric in the air, and I'm having waaaay too much fun with it. I can't stop flying it whenever the weather is good.

Is it unsafe to cycle LiPos over-and-over in rapid succession? I'm charging at .6A on a 620mAh cheapo 3S pack. The charger is a Triton, and I don't have a balancer. Its on the charger as soon as it is cool from the last flight. Any danger in this?

Thanks!
no no problem - just cool them like ur doing. - balancing is a good idea though.
Heli-Max MX400 EP (March 14 2008 )
Great Planes LEAR JET Kit (Build started Feb 7 ).
Herr Cessna 180,1/2A ( completed June 5 ).
COME TO THE DARK SIDE - WE HAVE COOKIES
Nemesis is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Its just a matter of buying a $XX balancer for a $12 battery... I thought balancers were to prolong battery life? I only have one electric, and a $12 battery... I can just buy a new one when this thing quits.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3
The idea behind balancers is to prevent cell imbalance and thus prevent the possibility of one or more cells being overcharged.

Overcharging a lipo cell is a bad idea! So it might well mean saving $xx and burning down your house.

I used to be on your side of the fence and pooh pooh the lipo cautions until I saw one that had never been balanced catch on fire while being charged at the field. It's a very violent thing, a lipo fire.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

That I didn't know, astro! I thought it just affected the overall lifetime of the battery. I'll have to put some more thought into it :/

Back to the original topic, we have concensus that there's no harm in 3 or 4 charges a day?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3
None at all. I often fly the same battery several times a day. Cooling it before the next charge is a good idea though.

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks again, astro. I have several LiPos that don't even have balancing connectors... are these too dangerous to use?

Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
Squidbait

Ben,

I've got lipos that I've been using for 4 years without a balancing tap - they don't have one. One of them finally puffed this year.

Just like eating omega-3's will reduce your risk of heart disease, balancing your battery packs will reduce the risk of premature failure. In both cases, you're not guaranteed a jackpot (heart attack or lipo failure) if you don't, you just lower the chances of it happening by doing it.

You really have to abuse a pack to get it to explode - either by over-discharging (too low or too fast) or by over-charging. But seriously over-charging. As long as you're charging at 1C with the Triton, you should be fine. The Triton has a very conservative lipo charge profile, and is pretty easy on your packs.
Squidbait is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
benjhind
RCC Supreme Contributor

Thanks for the info, Squidbait

I'm still going to consider getting a balancer for the pack that does have a balancing connecter. I might get more batteries in the future, and I might as well have it now as later.

Thanks,

Ben

Old 02-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Squidbait

Ben,

It's a good plan, and they're not that expensive. I've been using the Astro Blinky with my Triton for over a year now, with no problems.

At some point I'm going to upgrade my charger, since the Triton's 2.5A max for lipos just isn't cutting it anymore. At that point I may wind up with a balancing charger... but until then, I'm quite happy with the Triton/Blinky setup.
Squidbait is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in